Railroad Line Forums - The Cy Mining Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 253 ]  [ Total: 260 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Cy Mining Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crown Mill Pizza Layout Topic Next Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout
Page: of 4

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  09:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The tunnel makes more sense now and looks better than it did before you painted the mountain. Good job.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  2:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind feedback. Painting the mountain on the backdrop scene was a little scary as I didn't want to mess it up.
As promised here are some pics of the newly redone critter shed:

The weathering is quite subtle and I tried to leave some of the old paint showing to show "wear" on the shed. Made a wood floor that the shed sets on and installed wood between the rails which was all weathered. Because the wood between the rails was a different type and thickness, it did not paint up the same as the other wood did. This is fine with me as it adds some contrast.

The hoist-box is in place with the chain for lifting heavy things in the shed. The workbench is not attached yet so that I can detail it later more easily. Here you can really see the wood flooring and the wood between the rails which I have wanted to do for some time.

These two pics shows why I like this scale so much. I like the proportion between the size of the structure and the person compared to the flat car and the track. There will be stuff on the back walls as well as under the bench. Some of the larger items, like a set of welding tanks, will be just outside of the shed.
Next I'll move on to the fuel tank cover which will require more of a rebuild as well as repainting. I have so many ideas floating around in my head that I may have to write some of them down. Thanks for looking and as always comment/suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by - Larryc on 12/09/2019 5:26:04 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  3:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre having fun. I can tell.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2019 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  05:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking shed!

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  3:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson. I felt that I needed a brighter color to break-up the other colors on the layout.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2019 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I rebuilt the shed to go over the fuel tank and set it on the layout. Looked at it for a couple of days and decided that I didn't like the look; too many sheds. So I'm going to have the fuel tank by itself and place it in the foreground just before the trestle. That way Herb can refuel the critter while he waits for the flat cars to be unloaded. I may go with a small building to hold extra crates of ferrite until they can be loaded for transport. This makes more sense to me; of course I'll have to build it next.
What I did do was to construct my version of a "pillar crane" to set at the end of the trestle. I found a picture online that I used as inspiration. I'm not going to post the picture because I don't want to run into any copywrite issues. Here is the pillar crane:

Started by gluing 4 layers of foam core together and drilling a whole in the middle to accept the wood dowel which is the upright part of the crane. Also glued a piece of stone sheet around the base which I then glued to the layout. The "arms" of the crane are made out of craft sticks which are pinned to the dowel. Then I used a "Bic lighter" sparker wheel for the roller at the end of the arms. The chain wheel was a form that I found in my toolbox which I cut down to fit. Used some jewelry chain which I then attached a hanger to for the lifting arm. The hanger and the supports for the arms are made from brass wire and bent to the desired shapes. I'm thankful to have a "pin vise" to drill all of the holes that I needed. The crane was painted gun metal and then received a layer of rust to tone down the base color. Here a few more shots of the crane:

As you can see the crane does turn and the chain can be lowered to the track-level below. The skeleton car on the bottom track will be the basis for a flat car which the crates of ferrite will be loaded onto. Now I just need to make a bunch of crates. Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2019 :  8:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might have a small layout but you have a BIGimagination. Very cool crane.

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/18/2019 8:48:31 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  07:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  07:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  09:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2019 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Happy retirement!

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2019 :  2:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you guys for your positive feedback and comments! I came across a website for Ozark Miniatures which has tons of G scale pieces-parts. Things like tools, benches, people, etc. The stuff is cast metal so I may order a few things to see how they are. It's hard to find parts for G scale for what I'm looking for as far as detailing goes. If you know of any other places online please let me know.
As far as retirement goes I'm enjoying it very much. After spending nearly 50 years working with the public it's nice to do things for us. Although the Mrs. is keeping me busy. Already done a complete kitchen remodel and after the holidays I'm going to finish the bathroom remodel.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2020 Challenge is coming along quite nicely. One of my entries was a detailed scratch built flat car to be used as a way to get the ferrite to the outside world. Wanting to keep this thread current I decided to post the finished photo of the car as it sits on the layout:

If you haven't checked out the Challenge thread yet, there is a lot of great projects that are being done. It's under the Craftsman thread in the forum.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  10:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The world demands ferrite. Your flatcar fits the bill. Very nice.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/19/2020 10:40:21 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Crown Mill Pizza Layout Topic Next Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000