Railroad Line Forums - 28' boxcar project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 312 ]  [ Total: 314 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 28' boxcar project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Opinion on this font? Topic Next Topic: Early cabooses from Canadian Pacifics pioneer era
Page: of 5

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2019 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I’m enjoying watching you building these cars. I like the variation also.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  03:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good approach with the roof walk. I have used that method too.

Håkan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cars #2 and #3. #3 needs door and brake hardware. I realized I forgot to do stirrup steps, so all of the cars need those (I did another jig and drilled for them.) Car #4 has its roof and fascia boards installed. Tomorrow it'll get doors, door hardware, grabs and brakes.

I need to dig out more Panamint trucks from my box of trucks.

For Car #4, I first primed the styrene roof pieces. I hope that helps, the paint keeps on chipping off the roof on Car #3.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2019 :  1:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave.Really

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  7:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 cars assembled. Still needs touch-up painting, decals and weathering. This has worked well, next 4 should go even quicker.

And a train...

dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  8:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look good, Dave.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Model railroads look best when not populated by one-off cars. Multiples give a more realistic appearance.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2019 :  8:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like at least another 4 of these, plus a series of 34'/36' boxcars for "home road".

dave

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  11:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A nice little fleet.

Other little detail bits that I have started to add and aren't too horrible to make are corner straps and a rub rail on the side under the door. I found they can add some "texture" to side that makes it look more real. Even if the corner straps don't have bolt heads. A lot of early cars had buffer blocks on either side of the couplers. Especially pre-1900 when the chances of having link and pin couplers on the next car are higher.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another detail the modeler can add is the bolt ends for the short truss rods that would have paralleled each body bolster. These bolts either show up at the ends of the body bolsters peaking out underneath the sides, or in the siding just above the ends of the body bolsters. Subtle details, but they help relieve the bareness of the sides.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  09:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Mike: Good ideas, things I'll add to the larger car series. I probably should have done buffer blocks, they were common on 1870s designs (which these cars represent.) I did do air brakes on them, my rationale is 'added later.'

It would be great if someone came out with a line of laser-cut (on cardboard) pieces like corner braces.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 11/29/2019 10:05:03 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2019 :  10:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could still add buffer blocks. There were a couple of styles.

I think GrandtLine has corner straps, but on a sprue with other parts. How many sprues with unused parts does a person need?

Mike

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  11:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Y'all,

Nice work all the way around. I'm going to jump in and just post up some pics of the first 28 footer. All the wood work, except for the roof walk is completed. I'm not going to reveal what road this is, but some of you might be able to figure it out.

Off to the Sanding Sealer, then 0000 steel wool. Then detail parts. Paint shop. Last, lettering...

Thanks for allowing me to post up. I regress now. Lets see more of your 28 footers.

Levi

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. What are you using for trucks?

dave

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Nice. What are you using for trucks?

dave

Hey Dave,

My cars are just resting on Kadee 501's, which are 5' 6" wheelbase. I'm looking at several different 5' wheelbase trucks as they would be more proper. I am not really liking Tahoe Model Works because of their mounting area (bolster) so I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Levi

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Opinion on this font? Topic Next Topic: Early cabooses from Canadian Pacifics pioneer era  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000