Railroad Line Forums - Roberts Port Lighthouse
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 49 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Roberts Port Lighthouse
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ship tips Topic Next Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two  

PLNT Line
New Hire

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  12:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is another structure I built earlier this year. This one has a name in honor of Bob Santos (Sgtbob). A little background...

Some of you may recall that Sgtbob dismantled his railroad this past summer and gave away many of the buildings from that layout.

Bob entrusted many of his building to me to incorporate into my layout and the first manifestation of this will be the wealthy coastal village of Roberts Port. In the coming weeks and months Roberts Port will come to life through these very generous gifts from Sgtbob.

The lighthouse was constructed from scratch and some of the build highlights include...

1. The actual lighthouse structure was made by gluing 2" blue insulation foam blocks atop of one another and than carving away everything that didn't look like a lighthouse. Easier said than done!

2. I then covered the entire structure with drywall mud and fared it out to hide the imperfections.

3. To get the stucco effect I stippled thinned drywall mud on the surface and when almost dry I gently rubbed the surface with my hand to smooth out high points.

3a. The exposed bricks are embossed foam core using Dave Guffey's embossing method. Once embossed I carved out an area on the lighthouse and glued the bricks in place

4. The light structure was created from a large spice bottle. (I will most likely redo this because I really wanted a more squared off light structure.)

5. The roof of the light structure is an inverted funnel purchased at Harbor Freight. And jewelry findings added at the peak.

6. The keepers building was built using paper strips using Trolls Kirk and Dave Guffey methods over a Gator board core. Windows were cast from a master and the cedar shingles were a commercial product.

7. The foundation is a 1" thick piece of foam carved with a feather etcher to represent granite blocks.

There are some details and finish painting to complete, but other than that... this about it for this one. Enjoy!

Pete

Download Attachment: Roberts Post LH 1.jpg
70.47 KB

Download Attachment: Roberts Port LH.jpg
76.55 KB

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, Looks very good. I like the stucco effect. I am honored for your use of my name.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very sharp,Pete! I like the brick showing through the stucco.

PLNT Line
New Hire

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  11:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob... you richly deserve all the honors for all that done to help and teach.

Slimrails thank you.

After looking at the pics I see that I am going to have to redo the railing... just looks sloppy.

Pete

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/28/2019 :  12:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PLNT Line

Bob... you richly deserve all the honors for all that done to help and teach.

Slimrails thank you.

After looking at the pics I see that I am going to have to redo the railing... just looks sloppy.

Pete

The looks of the railing IMO just add to the overall age and weathering if the lighthouse.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

PLNT Line
New Hire

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  11:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,

I appreciate the feedback. I still have to add the lower railing... I'll see how that looks and than decide whether I want to take the entire thing apart.

Pete

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  11:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was me, I'd go with my gut feeling and re-do the railing.

Previous Topic: Ship tips Topic Next Topic: An Introduction... and a Pic or Two  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000