Railroad Line Forums - Bergen, New York coal dealer
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Bergen, New York coal dealer
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railroad Special Equipment Topic Next Topic: Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Page: of 4

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by Philip

That is a masterpiece of a structure. Were elevation drawings in model railroad magazine?

Philip

Philip,

According to what Bernd posted on page 1, plans are in the Sept. 1972 Model Railroader page 46-47.

Mike

Yes they were Philip. They were done by Harold Russell. If you don't have access to the drawings let me know.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 03/17/2020 09:15:35 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the offer Bernd! I may have an old copy somewhere....

I really like that conveyor hidden in the weeds!
This thing would make a great gravel station for a small quarry.

Philip

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do have the Roy structure drawn up for laser cutting in both HO and N scale, based on the MR drawing. Did build a few test builds but never did write directions for it.
rich

hairball
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I regularly go to Leroy and Bergen area, to a small town west of them......Brockport NY, every 3 months to pick up all my ebay purchases from a friend.

I usually travel the Interstate 90 for a fast run or go US 104 route out of Lewistown NY.

Takes me thru Bergen. But I have never seen this structure, BUT I may have been speeding and paying attention to whats ahead rather on the sides.

Hoping my friend in Brockport can direct me to the location next time I am there.

mike lynch

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  8:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hairball

I regularly go to Leroy and Bergen area, to a small town west of them......Brockport NY, every 3 months to pick up all my ebay purchases from a friend.

I usually travel the Interstate 90 for a fast run or go US 104 route out of Lewistown NY.

Takes me thru Bergen. But I have never seen this structure, BUT I may have been speeding and paying attention to whats ahead rather on the sides.

Hoping my friend in Brockport can direct me to the location next time I am there.

mike lynch

Here's the Bergen location. It's right on Rt. 19 after you cross the main line tracks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bergen, NY 14416/@43.0865433,-77.9421769,73m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d3fc00e55a148b:0x6eed3a74fd3c9015!8m2!3d43.0853387!4d-77.9422336

Here's the one in Leroy. It's also on Rt.19. It's before you cross the R&S tracks heading south on 19.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le Roy, NY 14482/@42.9828302,-77.9922888,73m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d3e31229d0f6d5:0xb7811c68a3f614a5!8m2!3d42.9783944!4d-77.9841776

Bernd

NOTE: I see you don't get the full URL. Copy it and paste into your browser.

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 03/17/2020 8:37:16 PM

hairball
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  8:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend Steve in Brockport on Campbell rd gave me directions and what to look for. Pretty sure I have looked at the stamped bricks metal building at the tracks, but like I said before. Watching traffic and paying attention to where I am going. Focused. I see a lot more when wife is driving but she hates driving when I am in car.....lmao

Next time I am there definitely will take camera and have a walk around the site. Not much left of period stuff around home except for our main street.

mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  09:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hairball

My friend Steve in Brockport on Campbell rd gave me directions and what to look for. Pretty sure I have looked at the stamped bricks metal building at the tracks, but like I said before. Watching traffic and paying attention to where I am going. Focused. I see a lot more when wife is driving but she hates driving when I am in car.....lmao

Next time I am there definitely will take camera and have a walk around the site. Not much left of period stuff around home except for our main street.

mike

The one in Bergen has had the top removed and all the elevator stuff. All that is left are the two silos according to the satellite view.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

hairball
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  11:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks BERND,

mike lynch

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This structure continues to get my attention. To all you New Englander's, I'm guessing by the size of that BMW bug on the side street, that those bricks are a 'manly' 12x12" on the face side, and guessing a tapered side to allow for the circular shape. We're only allowed wooden structures here. So, is that a good assumption?

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

I'm guessing by the size of that BMW bug on the side street,

Jim

Aw Jim,, that's the wife's VW Bug (aka Beetle). It's a "chick magnet" if a guy drives it.

I think I need to make a trip out there and get the size of those blocks. They could also be 18" X 18" which is a common size for those blocks. Just guesstimating.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I hope they're 12x12, 18X25 would make those silos ~ 37.5', but knowing for sure would be nice.

Check out where that bug was made. I think BMW has made some of them. Around here, they are sold through the BMW dealership, not VW.

Jim

PS If you do go there. please measure that concrete base, I thought it was 2'.

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 04/28/2020 12:30:56 PM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  5:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

18' OD 16' ID. "Thick as a Brick" - Jethro Tull {:D]

Jim

I recall looking that term up when I bought the CD/DVD (The only one I ever bought)

thick as a brick (not comparable)
(simile) Very stupid; slow to learn or understand.
Translations
dumb as an ox

That fits me to a “T” when you start all them fancy cypherin’ and supposing....I quickly run out of fingers and toes....the brain throws a cog and all positive energy escapes...

”Pi?” Make mine apple...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the silos made of in the second building,LeRoy? Look much like wood as using in water tanks with all the metal rings.

I still think the first building, Bergen(?), is made from vitrified tile block cast in a curved shape. Some appear in the closer photos to not be the exact curve radius as the general structure.

I looked at the one map link posted earlier, got sent to Norway....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 04/28/2020 6:02:59 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  6:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really don't mind if I sit this one out....

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  7:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your word's but a whisper...

Deafness a shout.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Railroad Special Equipment Topic Next Topic: Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000