Railroad Line Forums - Bergen, New York coal dealer
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnA ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Bergen, New York coal dealer
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery:  March 2020 Vehicles & Gas Stations Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Feb. 2020 Showcasing The Carpenters
Page: of 3

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  4:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Bernd,

Looks like a 3D printing challenge, are those bricks 12" high? That would put the brickwork at 25' plus another 3'? for the base. Any guess on the diameter? I'm guessing 15-16 ft. anyway of verifying that guess? The silo tops would be a snap. Mortar lines not so much. Hmmmmm.

Jim

Jim,

I think you're close on the dimensions. I did measure them I just can't find where I wrote it down.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The Reading Anthracite sign adds a note of ambiguity with regard to function.

I think the Bergen silos are a good candidate for a printed paper wrap on cylindrical core.

Mike

The sign had been taken down when I took my pictures. I happened to find a few on the net when it had the sign. That's what got me to go and take more pictures of it. I know if I waited to long to take pictures it would either burn down or get torn down.

I'd go for making the silos out of plaster. Hollow of course.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is getting a little more puzzling. The bricks look to be about 1 foot square. I counted 24 bricks wide from side to side from several different shots. That gives me a 48' circumferance. So if area is still calculated (here we go Frank!) 48 / pi, that comes out to ~ 15.25' for the diameter. Cut that in half and ~ 7.625 is the radius. Square that to 58 and multiply X pi, and you get 183 square feet. Each foot of elevation is 183 cubic feet. A ton of coal = 40 cubic feet. Again 183/40 = [b[4.56[/b] tons of coal in a 1 foot height. Why is that puzzling? The sign on the road has a 5 ton weight limit. Does that mean a truck with it's base weight could only get a foot of coal? If so, it would take 24 truckloads to fill one silo to the max. No wonder natural gas became popular.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/18/2019 7:01:33 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Id guess heavy truck traffic in the past is the reason the road is good only for 5 tons today.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  6:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Id guess heavy truck traffic in the past is the reason the road is good only for 5 tons today.

Mike

Or irritated neighbors. But I'd bet on labor intensive shipping in/out. Bernd, inquiring minds want to know.

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  09:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, this may be of more help. I Googled Bergen, NY. Zoom in on the picture mode. It might even help Jim with his question of silo diameter since it's almost a straight down shot. Also the 5 ton sign probably had nothing to do with the weight for coal since they had to go across the scales out toward the main highway loaded. I think a close look at the Google picture may explain any further questions.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bergen,+NY+14416/@43.0864469,-77.9423513,88m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d3fc00e55a148b:0x6eed3a74fd3c9015!8m2!3d43.0853387!4d-77.9422336

Bernd

NOTE: I see when using the url symbols from the text box it doesn't show the full name.

Edited by - Bernd on 09/19/2019 09:19:12 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  09:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just went there by way of Google Maps and I'm sure you'll see quite a bit of difference. Glad I got there and took pictures when I did.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im not surprised the sign is gone. Signs and advertising bring solid good prices at the few live auctions we have around anymore.

Mike

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

If you have Google Earth Pro, look at it now with the removed top structure. The diameter is pretty close at about 16'. There is a slight distortion with the photo. The 'tool' option of Earth Pro measures miles, feet, meters, etc. It's free, and very nice for this G2 work.

Jim

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

I looked at it in Google Earth. I came up with about 18 feet in diameter. I also tried to see if I could find any trace of how the track would have run around the back side of the buildings. The buckets on the silos doe indicate loading from the track. At least that's what I deduce. I can't remember if there was a pit or not. I searched to see if I could find a platt map of the area. No luck, only modern stuff. I also looked a geological maps. Couldn't find anything on Bergen from 1920's to now on those. I guess will never know.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  2:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
18' OD 16' ID. "Thick as a Brick" - Jethro Tull {:D]

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Another brick in the wall" Pink Floyd.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  8:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was in LeRoy, NY recently, and took the following photo of the other side of the dealer in LeRoy NY:

I was in a hurry and it's not the best photo, but it's an interesting building nevertheless.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  11:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a masterpiece of a structure. Were elevation drawings in model railroad magazine?

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  11:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

That is a masterpiece of a structure. Were elevation drawings in model railroad magazine?

Philip

Philip,

According to what Bernd posted on page 1, plans are in the Sept. 1972 Model Railroader page 46-47.

Mike

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The Gallery:  March 2020 Vehicles & Gas Stations Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Feb. 2020 Showcasing The Carpenters  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000