Railroad Line Forums - Ferris Wheel Restart
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 313 ]  [ Total: 315 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Ferris Wheel Restart
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ship tips
Page: of 8

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  10:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This time 10 RPM, one (1) RPM, so I needed to build a 1:10 ratio reduction, the wheel is 255 mm in d., and 25.4 mm is an inch, a 1 inch, drive that 10 wheel, rubber 1" wheel, a 1" faucet washer, exactly 1" with an 1/8" hole, a 6mm I.D., a 12 mm face, a 3mm screw centered in the 1/8" hole, looked about right.

Just looking at it I thought the same thing. Oh Jim did you carry the 1 and divide by the square root of 9?

Happy to hear the wheel turning was a breeze.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/13/2019 10:41:48 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl and Bob,

Glad I'm keeping you guys interested in the project.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Are you pulling my leg?

Jim

Take the red pill

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat project!

Philip

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  11:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip!

It's sometimes fun.

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  2:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Would a groove in the rubber washer keep the wheel centered? Not getting a picture in my mind as to how you are applying poer to the wheel.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2019 :  6:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Here's an awkward shot. The drive wheel is 1/8" thick. The width of the 'big wheel' is 3 mm. It varies about 1 mm through the rotation. It's very tight as the drive wheel is in constant contact with the big wheel. I couldn't go with a wider drive wheel as it would interfere with the seats travel. You might see that I had to cut down outer centering washer due to that interference.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 09/13/2019 6:22:52 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Ah I see the dilemma now. Sure is a tight squeeze.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  10:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim, I'm late to the party to post, however, I have been checking in on this project.
My 2 cents worth would be, could you replace the otter washer with a metal flat one, and use a flathead countersunk screw to give you more rubber wheel width, and less outer washer thickness. I hope I'm making since here.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd and Lou,

Lou, I did end up swapping out that outer washer on Saturday night with thinner smaller diameter washer that I made out of ABS. I also mounted the power unit on the skew plate. Pulled apart a couple ballpoint pens, and used the springs to push back the plate for the cobbled adjusting method. The big wheel turned for 7 hours overnight and I finally got tired of checking for drift. I think it'll do.

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  6:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Thanks Bernd and Lou,

Lou, I did end up swapping out that outer washer on Saturday night with thinner smaller diameter washer that I made out of ABS. I also mounted the power unit on the skew plate. Pulled apart a couple ballpoint pens, and used the springs to push back the plate for the cobbled adjusting method. The big wheel turned for 7 hours overnight and I finally got tired of checking for drift. I think it'll do.

Jim

I'm glad you found a suitable idea.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  9:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a month and a half of waiting on LP to show up to ride, it's almost time to put a fork in this one. The tuning plate to grip the 'big wheel' worked out very well. I had to add the 'red' bearing caps to give the chairs free movement as the wheel transitions through it's path. Here is the power unit installed without the utility shed.

I constructed the shed using the lapboard technique that I came up with on the RR clubhouse in an earlier scratchbuild. The roof is built as a single piece with the center 'shelled out'.

Here's a shot from the rear with the support struts added.

The blue barrier wall is actually scrap plastic that is printed as 'support' for another project. It also makes a good barrier for junkyards and sea walls. The overhead LED lighting really made this blue look wild!

One of the first riders was 'Little Rocketman'

The 'fleet' was in town, and the guys were happy to ride along.

The postal clerk hopped on the ride to lessen the stress of pigeonholing mail.

The forum is acting a little wonky so I'll stop loading pictures, but didn't want to slight our new operator.

I think the last step will be to add the safety straps from keeping these folks from dropping to the ground.
The holes are predrilled in the chairs, but the LP's needed to get on the wheel before I could lock them in.

Jim

Take the red pill

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  9:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buckle Up, Boys and Girls!! The Ride is about to start!!

Nicely done, Jim! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  9:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks great. When does production begin? I bet you would sell more then the units on the Walther’s sight. What is next for your carnival?

TomO

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  11:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Your work amazes me!
NICE!

David Guffey

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil Topic Next Topic: Ship tips  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000