Railroad Line Forums - Friday morning lounge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Friday morning lounge
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  06:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning crew from still warm, still muggy N.E. Indiana. The coffee urn has just signaled READY with Railbender blend this morning. The special is Biscuits and Gravy, scrambled eggs on the side.

I'm up early as I crashed about 8 PM last night. #3 son came up on Wednesday afternoon and we worked on a few 1:1 projects out in the shop until midnight. Then yesterday we headed out at 6 AM to pickup a car frame and a Ford 302 engine. We got over to the place about 70 miles West of here to have the engine loaded on my car trailer. The guy who was supposedly going to load us up, was no where to be found. After about 3 hours of grunting and groveling we finally got the engine off the ground and on to the trailer. What a workout!
Then, on the way back, we ran across a farm stand with Sweet corn that looked pretty good. 4 dozen ears later, they are now residing in the freezer. I was totally out of gas, hit the rain locker, and went unconscious until about 30 minutes ago.

I checked the forum first thing this morning and read Rick's post about Ira. I'd never read about Ira, or ever met the man, but was saddened to see that nearly 10 years had passed between the last contact mentioned in that post had gone by. How many modelers build and work alone, and aren't checked on more frequently? Makes one think about making contact with a few old friends.

Have a Super day!

Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Jim and crew. What do you have planned for the car frame and engine, Jim?

I have some errands to run and then a bike ride this morning. I have some bad order cars I need to look at this afternoon.

Have a good day.
George

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  08:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny and chilly 50s in the cedar swamp. Be readying for the trip a South shortly. It’s been another good week in getting the folks we’re dealing with on the same page. The contractors had the last of the US-2 paving project striped and ready to drive yesterday. Will be nice to save 10 minutes of waiting for the flaggers just to go to town.

Walt I guess all the procrastinators have had a revelation.

Jim the 302 is a meaty piece of iron, I have one on my shop floor from an 89 ‘stang my son drove Thru deep water on Indy’s NW side. Found out it didn’t pump water worth a damn. I think he’s torn up or wrecked every vehicle he’s owned.

Everyone have a good day. We’ll be on the road in a bit.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jim, George, Karl and the rest of the crew. It is sunny and in the upper 50's right now in S.E. Michigan. We will get just north of 70 degrees later today.

We were watching a group of four Whitetail bucks out in the farmer's field this morning. Two of them were pretty impressive.

More framing on the two storage closets in the basement is on the agenda. I should finish the framing today.

After months of checking local furniture stores for just the right book case, I finally ordered one from Wayfair. (An all wood, Made in the USA bookcase.) One of out sons had ordered furniture from them with good luck. It should be delivered today and then I can unbox the my model RR books.

Have a great day!

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning from So. Wisconsin where the clouds are stationary and the thermometer is at 57f degrees. Jim, thanks for opening and hello to the Crew.

The overnight trip to Green Bay was enjoyable and the weather was great for being outdoors. The National Train Museum was a shock to Terry, as we pulled in she said “those are real trains.” She thought we were going to see models inside buildings, we obliviously miscommunication somewhere. They had a decent old Pentrex dvd on the Big Boy. Terry was impressed when she went with me to see 4014 roll through Wisconsin but being next to #4017 without 4000 others she even thought was cool. The cab was designed to hold 4 and in about 12’ square. An awesome machine. I asked when UP came out to inspect 4017 when looking to pick a Big Boy what did they say about the condition. They said great but the offer to buy it was rejected as the Museum said most of the visitors come to see it. Being in the cab was cool at the Museum but when running it was normally 90degrees no matter how cold outside and would often get into mid 100’s in summertime. The GG1 was great as I have only seen them on TV. Terry hadn’t until I reminded here that this engine pulled the Bobby Kennedy funeral train and she agreed she sort of remembered. The cab was closed off but looked very tiny and confined. A huge engine but next to the Big Boy it still was dwarfed. We had a good time and an enthusiastic foamier could spend a few days going through the many steam locomotives on display.

Have a great day
Tom

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' All!

64 and mostly sunny, headed for 70 here in the northern mitten this fine morning. And the little Harbinger of Autumn maple in the neighbor's yard continues its trend toward orange....

The Great Recovery Adventure has begun, as ankle fusion surgery yesterday left me with a sore leg, all of my toes intact (yay!!) and moveable (double yay!!) and eight to twelve weeks or two-to-three months on the scooter, whichever you prefer, before I'm allowed to walk again. And it appears that I'm not gonna need the heavy-duty narcotics, either. Fortunately I'm surrounded by friends and family, so life is good.

Bruce, you should have mentioned that you need bookshelves! I have two that are now "surplus to my needs" and they're Gen-you-wine Made in USA (by Me) bookshelves. MR fits very nicely in there, as did the RMC, RM, Mainline, etc., all of which have moved elsewhere. Still have them if you need a road trip!

And I need to go change out the ice pack. It's a thrill a minute around here.

Make it a great day, All, and stay safe!

Pete
in Michigan

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, 1st a scooter then a hover board. Glad it turned out ok for you. Surgery sucks and as a veteran of many I know. Listen to the Doctors.

TomO

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I saw a GG1 at the Newark, NJ station in the 70's. It was big, dirty and noisy - probably the reason I fell in love with her. They were impressive machines.

Pete, best of luck on your recovery. It's good to hear you don't need heavy-duty narcotics. I'd go with the eight to twelve week recovery regimen - it sounds shorter.

George

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  12:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Tom, I saw a GG1 at the Newark, NJ station in the 70's. It was big, dirty and noisy - probably the reason I fell in love with her. They were impressive machines.

George

Yes sir, the GG1 was big but next to the UP 4017 seemed not so. There also next to the GG1 was a 0-4-0 and a 2-8-0 and they seemed tiny compared to the big electric. Locomotives fascinate me, diesel, electric or steam. I really like the current diesels but all eras of locomotives are fine with me.

You mentioned the other day you spent your youth in northern Wisconsin, where at?

TomO

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

quote:

George

You mentioned the other day you spent your youth in northern Wisconsin, where at?

TomO

My father was from Wisconsin and had a sister living there. I went to a YMCA camp north of Boulder Junction with my cousin a couple summers. Wild beautiful country.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  1:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pete, best of luck on your recovery. It's good to hear you don't need heavy-duty narcotics. I'd go with the eight to twelve week recovery regimen - it sounds shorter.

George

George, Great Minds think alike!

And yes, things are progressing, and I accept with thanks the best wishes from all, so no need to inconvenience the electrons here.

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grass is cut, and the compromised glass in our greenhouse window has been replaced. Watching them do this, I learned a few tricks on caulk. Wife will be very happy to have that done, every time she worked at the sink she could look out and see the dirty, waterstained old glass.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Thursday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000