Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann 45-Tonner Sound?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 Bachmann 45-Tonner Sound?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boxcab Critters Fn3 style Topic Next Topic: The Junk Yard Critter  

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  6:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

I'm about to "inherit" a Bachmann HO-scale 45-tonner (the "little one!) for use inside the fence at a paper mill. This little beast runs well, looks great, will do nicely in an industrial setting, and needs sound. The motor buzz will drive you nuts!

According to the exploded parts diagram, Bachmann has apparently provided space for a round speaker under the cab, so there is evidently a decoder out there that will work.

The Big Question is "which one??"

Any suggestions? This is a small space, with minimal working room, will require cutting and then augmenting/soldering an existing board, and I have not yet been "under the hood."

Thoughts? Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  6:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Story of My Life....

Get a question, do research, finally ask for help, then get a bright idea and KAPOW!! There's the Answer....

Soundtraxx recommends the TSU-1100, p/n 885002, with the 810089 speaker.

Phone call tomorrow....

Sorry to trouble you, Folks!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pete, if you have problems fitting in the speaker, here is another option. This article mounts a speaker on the bottom of the locomotive. Good luck with your installation.

GE Cummins Micro Tsunami into a Bachmann GE 45 tonner; https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38808-sound-in-ge-45-tonner/

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 08/19/2019 09:27:38 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  10:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Louis!

Parts are on order....

Pete
in Michigan

tct855
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  10:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit tct855's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete,
Nice to see you are not looking away at wanting to see your new Bachmann 45 tonner at its full potential with full Dcc sound/lights.

I did the same model for George many years ago (I think back when they first came out with the model).

First thing I did was open it up and I choose to use back then a micro loksound w/3/4" rectangular speaker and working both headlights and two cab beacons.

You should be able to use a newer micro tsunami with a sugar cub and squeeze in a small keep alive pak.

It all should fit in the cab right down to the weight and not have to remove any weight. The one I did can pull 10 cars nicely on flat track.

I really didn't see the need of trying to figure out a tiny speaker underneath because it might not sound good or loud enough.

Plus speakers on the bottom are nothing more than metal pickups for all the cut track shavings etc. and land on the speaker cone and make a buzzing sound with playing.

Anyway here are a few pics below to show you the potential. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't record a video with sound back then. Thanx Thom...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom!

I'll have to have a look at the Keep Alive situation, too. I put one in my scratchbuilt BAR Y-2 and the performance improvement was staggering.... Hmmm....

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding looking switcher Thom. All that electronics into that size locomotive is a task for sure. Hats off to you!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Previous Topic: Boxcab Critters Fn3 style Topic Next Topic: The Junk Yard Critter  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000