Railroad Line Forums - Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Big NWSL News Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  11:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has ANYONE heard any updates on the Athearn/Roundhouse 2-8-0's?

The website says it was announced in 2017 and "due late January".

However, I think since it was announced, Athearn lost the Chinese factory that was making their stuff. (Chinese government closed the factory.)

Thus, I'm wondering if "due late January" was referring to 2018 and the page simply hasn't been updated, or if that's THIS coming January (2020)?

Anyone heard ANYTHING?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you Email Athern? If they don't respond then you can assume it not an in process item.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  2:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email Athearn??

What a novel idea. Who'd a' thought.

I shall attend to that.

Andre

Tintic Range
New Hire

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  3:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Athearn, as far as I am aware, was not affected by the closure of the Affa tech factory, which had nothing to do with the Chinese government. The owner of the company wanted to retire but none of his children wanted to take over operations.

A few months ago during Athearn's last visit to their factory in China they posted a picture of the test track which included an unpainted model of the 2-8-0s so they are at some point in the production process. However, since I placed a preorder in late 2017 I've been watching them push the release date further and further back. Athearn seems to be favoring their modern Genesis line over all other products, which while frustrating, if it keeps them in business, is good in the long run I guess.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tintic:

Thanks for the info. That's encouraging. I'm considering purchasing one or two for quick n' easy RTR engines.

The story going around was that the Chinese government put pressure on the owner (was reputed to be some type if environmental infraction) and instead of anteing up and paying the ransom (pay the fine and lay out the cash to come into "compliance"), the owner retired and thus closed the shop. No doubt his children wouldn't want part of such a corrupt mess if they didn't have to.

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  9:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't put much stock in anything Athearn/Roundhouse/Horizon puts out. I've talked with and corresponded with them on several things over the past 8+ years and get a lot of its just around the corner and "we're working on that" and then crickets for years.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  12:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, that could be what's happening here with the 2-8-0 as well, Dave.

Ah well, I guess there's no rush on my part. I'm neck-deep in cash outlay right now anyway... so IF released soon, I'd be hard-pressed to allocate the funds for one or two of them.

Andre

Previous Topic: Big NWSL News Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000