Railroad Line Forums - Upgrading a Pocher boxcar
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Upgrading a Pocher boxcar
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Big NWSL News
Page: of 3

Tintic Range
New Hire

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  9:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen many people use the ubiquitous ancient plastic boxcars as bases for some very impressive models. At the National Train Show this year I found an old Pocher "California Fast Freight Line" model for a very reasonable price, was able to knock a few dollars more off, and took it home to start.

Download Attachment: Capture.JPG
136.01 KB

Obviously it looks very toy like as is, but the detail of the molding is acceptable. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it, but a few days later came across a boxcar sitting in the Salt Lake yard of the Salt Lake & Ogden Railroad (the steam predecessor to the interurban Bamberger Electric Railway) that had a weird rectangular door mounted high just like the Pocher tooling. I have no idea what railroad owned this car but I now had a starting point for detailing.

Download Attachment: MysteryBox.jpg
48.2 KB

First items of business:
-installed Kadee code 88 ribbed back 33" wheels. The Pocher trucks accept them quite comfortably. This also raises the frame up slightly, bringing the eventual coupler height up to standard
-cut off the talgo coupler boxes
-Trimmed back the top door track and removed the bottom door track
-Sanded the ridiculously high ribs on the roof. I will model a tin roof, so the ribs are fine, they just need to be knocked down a bit.
-Trimmed the interior of the body so that it would fit over the frame rather than on top of it. This gives the car a nice, period look as many boxcars were low-slung around the wheels rather than riding suspended above the wheels. We also know that boxcars varied wildly in height, so it's nice to have a car that's even shorter than the Bitter Creek and MDC cars that currently populate my roster.

Download Attachment: Capture2.JPG
99.67 KB

More to come soon...

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  9:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good start, like it.
The door on the end probably was for loading lumber. (Long boards would come in through a main big door and one end would be poked out through the small end door until the other end would fit through the main door. The reverse was done to unload the boards. The doors came in a lot of configurations.

Here's a lumber door I added to an MDC 36ft boxcar.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/27/2019 09:14:30 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  11:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread!

I've got about 18 of the little Pocher/AHM (Missouri Pacific prototype) cars waiting to be converted for use, so I'll be following along to see what you do with yours!

Andre

Tintic Range
New Hire

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  12:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should clarify that I am familiar with the use of lumber doors, what I meant was the door on the Pocher model is weird in that it is a stubby horizontally-oriented rectangle.

Andre, do you have photos of the MP prototypes? I assumed the Pocher boxes were freelanced, but if I can get my hands on some more and build good models of the cars they were based on, that would be great.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  12:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently the Pocher model was based pretty closely on the MP boxcar. Plans appeared in RMC many years ago. I can locate them tomorrow. My memory is that they show that little end door.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  01:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tintic:

I think this is the plan that Mike shared some time ago:

The model is a nice little car, but that roof is very distinctive... and before I became aware of how distinctive, I had amassed 18 of them!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, thats the plan.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  08:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't be too hard to mill and sand down the existing roof. Once it's smooth, apply a layer of paint, then a layer of tissue paper or telephone book paper, and then more paint. Fold the paper over the edges of the roof. The net result will look like a canvas covered roof, which was pretty common. Then add a conventional roofwalk.

Here's a well-weathered canvas roof:

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 07/27/2019 08:47:36 AM

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  12:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have rebuilt several of those cars in the P&R class XMb.

I would love to post pictures, but the forum will not allow me to insert files.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 07/27/2019 1:12:37 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  1:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Posting pics is convoluted, but once used to it, the routine is easy.

I'm out of time right now and will be busy until later this evening. When I have the time I will post a tutorial showing how to insert files into one's post.

See y'all later!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  10:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a tutorial in the Admin section, did that, didn't work.

Save jpg as 750 pixels wide. Used "insert a File". Keep getting this error message:

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'
Operation not Allowed
/forum/outputFile.asp, line 13

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Edited by - dave1905 on 07/28/2019 01:17:55 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  08:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The file cannot be larger than 200KB. If it's in bmp or png or other less compressed formats, it will be to "heavy" and will be rejected. Compressed jpeg is the best bet. If your photo source (iPhone/whatever) doesn't compress the photos very much, then you can either use a photo software program on your PC to compress it further, or reduce the pixel dimensions until it is less than 200KB.

Worth a try?

Andre

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  09:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1905

There is a tutorial in the Admin section, did that, didn't work.

Save jpg as 750 pixels wide. Used "insert a File". Keep getting this error message:

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'
Operation not Allowed
/forum/outputFile.asp, line 13

Dave, I assume you've been here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749 The 750 pixels are for the largest side of the picture and sometimes that's too large. Try 700 and see if it works.

George

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These started out as the AHM cars.

I sanded off the roof and applied Evergreen scribed siding. The door guides were removed and holes filled. Doors were added from scribed siding. A new styrene floor was built. Tichy details were added. They were lettered with Art Griffin decals.

PS: Thanks for the assistance on the photos, I had forgotten how many rules there were on photos here.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Edited by - dave1905 on 07/28/2019 9:03:40 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You cant have & in a file name; it uploads but does not display.

Mike
(Once tried to post images with B&O in the file name.)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Use only letters, numbers, underscore _ and dash -.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Big NWSL News  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000