Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 172 ]  [ Total: 172 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 34

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the dip in the roof and the shingles at the ridge line.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  12:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Good save on the shed. Warp usually dooms a model but you turned it into an asset. Very nice indeed.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/01/2020 12:12:41 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  12:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Mike, Thank you, /I appreciate your support.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Hawghead
Section Hand

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  12:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Yeah it looks great, nice save.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  1:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Scott, and Welcome to the forum.

I've recently bought some Kits from Wild West Models. They are the same people who made the shingles I used on the shed. They are laser cut kits and they are well executed. Most of my freight cars are laser cut wood kits but these are the first structures I have tackled. I don't use stains alcohol bases stains on my freight cars. Weathering is done with acrylic paint based washes after color painting. In contrast I use a lot of A&I stains on my structures. I was concerned s how the woods used in laser cut kits would respond to A&I stains. So I decided to one of their outhouse as a guinea pig. Their Kit #17. If you're unfamiliar with Wild West Model products check out their kits and other products on their web page. Among their kits they make four styles of outhouses. Three of them come in 2-packs. They are IMHO reasonably priced, about $6 dollar a John. The kits took my A&I stains well. They also went together easily with little fiddling and no major adjustments. The kits come with extra details and walls and doors so you can make quite a verity of outhouses from each kit. I appreciated that I didn't have to use the moon on the door which is really inappropriate for my era. So I built one as a no thrills or paint necessity and one as a top-of-the-line unmentionable.

Ta-da....

Like others, I'm going to need a whole lot of these.

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  2:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I've gotten really good faded/weathered paint by applying Pan Pastels over top of walls stained with A&I. That's a trick worth trying.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bob, I've gotten really good faded/weathered paint by applying Pan Pastels over top of walls stained with A&I. That's a trick worth trying.

dave

That's on my to do list. Where do you get your pastels from?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  5:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon has a weathering set, a good starter, for $37.50: https://www.amazon.com/Colorfin-PanPastel-Artist-Pastel-Weathering/dp/B007JV8XRK/

Roger Malinowski, Stoney Creek Designs, is known for introducing these to the hobby: http://www.stoneycreekdesigns.com/panpastels.html Same set is $44 from him. A lot other mail order model railroad hobby shops and even kit manufacturers are distributing them now. Jeff Adam, Motrak Models, has a storage rack: https://motrakmodelsusa.com/tools.html#!/Pan-Pastel-Rack-85028/p/159003239

I use wedge make-up sponges and eye-liner appliers to apply them (stolen from wife, but easy to get at a drug or big box store).

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  5:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Amazon has a weathering set, a good starter, for $37.50: https://www.amazon.com/Colorfin-PanPastel-Artist-Pastel-Weathering/dp/B007JV8XRK/

Roger Malinowski, Stoney Creek Designs, is known for introducing these to the hobby: http://www.stoneycreekdesigns.com/panpastels.html Same set is $44 from him. A lot other mail order model railroad hobby shops and even kit manufacturers are distributing them now. Jeff Adam, Motrak Models, has a storage rack: https://motrakmodelsusa.com/tools.html#!/Pan-Pastel-Rack-85028/p/159003239

I use wedge make-up sponges and eye-liner appliers to apply them (stolen from wife, but easy to get at a drug or big box store).

dave

Thanks Dave, i should of known

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  6:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a nice collection of small buildings, Bob. I like the way you recovered the shed with the warped walls - well done.

George

Fly Army

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  02:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice sheds Bob! I have built some of Wild West Models kits and they are very nice to build.

Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  3:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, Håkan, Thank you very much. I appreciate your comments. I'm looking forward to building the Wild West kits I have but I'm also wanting to start working on the moguls again.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  5:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sweet, his & hers.

Frank

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  6:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, ain't those the sh*ts!

Nice work on a pair of TINY structures.

You guys sure have good patience levels!!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, that was good!

Andre, Hi Stranger! Thank you (I think) you did see my imploding shed? Anyway, The Wild West shingles are easier to apply than Campbell's being that they are stiffer and easier to keep straight.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 34 Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000