Railroad Line Forums - The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Part two
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 34

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bernd, That's very encouraging.

Mike, Thank You! I'm about to head out and do the 2nd shed and probably the attached shed.
The windows yes, will be white. They where ordered as casements from the east. I must be doing something right if I'm reminding you of real places. I'm wondering if the sides of my house are too clean. On one hand a baker has a white-is-pure mentality and on the other, they get a lot of rain and the tracks are right behind and above the house.

My stories are just to help the models evolve into a believable community. There is no sex, violence or occultism in them to make them of interest to most people. I do thank you for the thought.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  7:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I tried to follow the advice I was given. I darkened the stain of the attached shed and it does look better. So this is where things are at now;

I am pleased with these results.

Bob

It's only make-believe

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  7:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering, curious as to how difficult it is to create something in three D software, Do you have prior CAD software experience, or just wing it? Was this your first item designed for printing.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2020 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

I am wondering, curious as to how difficult it is to create something in three D software, Do you have prior CAD software experience, or just wing it? Was this your first item designed for printing.

David, No, no and No. I've been 3D drafting for about 4 years now. I started with Sketchup but have been using Fusion 360 for a little over a year now. I learned both by using tutorials on YouTube. It isn't easy, in fact I consider it a Steep learning curve but it is do-able and worth it. At first I depended on Shapeways for all my printing but when resin printer came out with their better quality and lower cost (around $200.)I bought a printer.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/19/2020 2:59:10 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added red tar paper roofs,

A little weathering;

The five structures I have built since we've been staying safe at home.

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  4:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I think I'd tone the red down a bit more. When I've seen red rolled roofing (infrequently!), it's been a much more faded color.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  5:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your input. I'll consider it but remember this isn't suppose ti be a real old building. Just an unpainted one. When I did a Google search most of what I got back were other models. I did get a couple of tarp paper siding. Here's one of them, an older structure;

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  6:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Iím impressed by how well they match. Excellent job. I like the roofs also.

Youíve been very productive.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2020 :  7:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thank you.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  01:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím just catching up Bob. Love the new buildings and how they all blend together color and weathering wise.
Will be fun to see them later on when they are on the layout.

HŚkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  02:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HŚkan,
Thank you, Trying to decide whether to return to the moguls or do a couple more buildings. the slough only need 4 more.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2020 :  08:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Iím in a similar situation. Having finished a couple of structures for my town of Alderson, Iím wondering what to do next. I plan five more structures for Alderson but feel like doing something else for now. Rolling stock? Scenery? Ballasting? (Ugh)

Probably scenery around my newest structures.

In any case, I look forward to your decision and watching you build.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  8:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we could of known we were going to have all this time on our hands we would of made better plans.
Will I made a bakery.

Actually, This is a model I was given years back. It's resin and the modeler had built it and painted it. I disassembled it. Removed the Add-on shed and took a third off the length of the main building and repainted. It still needs signs and a boardwalk.

And I started another Timberline kit for a tool shed and a dynamite storage shed. Here's a picture of the kit;

The dynamite shed will become an old hunters cabin half buried in a hill sharing a plot of land with a log cabin, the starting point of Miller's Slough. the Tool Shed will becomes a out building somewhere in the Slough.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2020 :  7:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been having fun with my these two sheds.

The dynamite storage shed is to be become a old root cellar. It was a pretty straight forward build. It will be half buried into a hill side.

The other shed turned into a real adventure. When I stained the wood the side not only curved in the usual way these also curled upwards! So while contemplating how I was going to fix this I found myself asking why? why don't I just model the shed falling in on it's self. so I assembled the sides and bent the ridge beam I had this;

I then cut the sub-roof card stock to fit the curve and glues it into place.

I used a new product to me for the Shingles. I used shingles from Wild West Models. I liked the product and will be using more of them. I added some grey weathering to them ans used Tacky glue to put them on.

I just need to add hinges and handles to the doors.

Bob

It's only make-believe

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2020 :  5:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now it's finished. I added the door hardware and one more row of shingles.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 34 Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000