Railroad Line Forums - Need help with brick structure
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Need help with brick structure
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Adding More Real Estate to the F&SM  

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  05:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi group,

starting with a Classic Miniatures kit I built this structure:

The original kit mainly uses cardboard for the walls and the windows. I used these preprinted pieces as template and made them from styrene sheet and brick sheet. Also some details were added.

But one thing is still missing:

How would the brick walls be capped? The kit instructions recommend cutting strips from the supplies brick material. To me that doesn't really look right. So what would have been done on the prototype?

Ideas would be:

• just the plain bricks (similar to what the instructions say)

• tin

• special bricks, maybe a rounded shape. I think this is what DPM does with their kits.

Prototype or model photos, instructions, whatever. Every answer is highly welcome.

Regards
Martin

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  07:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

What you are looking for is a 'capstone'. Over the years, it has taken on many meanings, but essentially is "the finishing touch". They can be very ornate or simple, but usually just a different style of brick to top off the wall and show completion.

NIce building!

Jim

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the capstone is rounded tile, sometimes concrete. Low-budget buildings often use lead, copper or galvanized flashing instead of a capstone.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  09:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually I've noticed the cap is something waterproof to protect the top course of porous common brick. Could be glazed rounded tiles (Pike Stuff has cap tiles that include corner pieces), or could be copper or galvanized sheet metal (can be modeled with Evergreen channel strips painted appropriate color). Sometimes the cap appears to be cut stone (could be modeled by painted styrene strip).

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/07/2019 09:38:13 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easiest way would be to get some smooth paper and fold it over the top (use a razor blade as a 'bending brake' to form the U shape). Then paint it 'lead' color. Next easiest would be styrene strip, cut/notched to resemble stone.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  11:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave, my preference is to paint the capping a concrete color. An alternative might
be a light bluish-green-white color to represent weathered copper.

Whatever you do with the capping, you do need to extend the height of the chimney with either
more bricks or a metal chimney pipe. It will not draft well as short as you have it.

Your building looks real nice right now so you will want it finished properly.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

elliott-maine
Section Hand

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very frequently lead is used to cap brick walls. Easy to maintain and no mortar exposed for water to get in and freeze.

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attached is a photo of a Monster Model Works kit with capping that was an accessory that he produced and sold separately. Possibly you could find it on eBay.
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

bandman
New Hire

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  11:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, that's a mighty fine looking roof you've got there.

Horton

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2019 :  05:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When Iím at my dentists and looking out the window from the chair (shudder) I see the tile capstone represented by the Monster product. Iíve used it and miss that itís not available anymore. However, Pikestuff has tile caps for their concrete wall sheets, which looks the same, maybe better.

Believe it or not, you can find lots of photos of urban roofs on the internet.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 07/08/2019 06:05:33 AM

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  04:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All,

thanks for your feedback and suggestions. This is very welcome.

• I extended my knowledge with the word 'capstone'
  • Best solution would be to use the Pikestuff cap tiles. As I live in Germany shipping cost is prohibitive. So I'm looking at the second best solution, the lead capping will be the way to go for me.
  • Bob, how much should I extend the chimney? From looking at photos it seems that 12" to 18" is common.

Regards
Martin

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would extend chimney about 18Ē (1/2 meter) more.
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  05:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, I agree with David.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin building looks great. According to most building codes the chimney should be 3' higher than any wall or roof within 10'.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some common names and styles of wall caps.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Adding More Real Estate to the F&SM  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000