Railroad Line Forums - Lou's Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Lou's Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts
Page: of 3

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  4:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Louis,

Glad to see you are slicing and dicing once again. This will be another of your great accomplishments.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I'm not really into it, but getting there. Maybe once Easter passes I'll be with it next week once again.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Cool stuff again Louis....

Which rubber grip are you using for your Xacto handle?

I need one.

Hi Carl, I'm using an X-Acto X-2000 Rubber-Barrel hobby precision knife it is the ultimate cutting tool for precision and accuracy. Good for a job or project requiring surgical precision and laser like accuracy. I started the cuts with a regular X-Acto knife, then switched over to the X-2000 for a more controlled cut. See here; http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/detail/X3722

Louis

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  8:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you're back at it. I started a similar project but am making a flatbed bagged cement hauler. I'll be stopping in to watch the progress.

Bernd

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  8:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Louis I'll be following along!!

Just don't use up all those posts answer these guys!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2019 :  11:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the slicing and dicing as Rich put it, Lou you're becoming the Ron Popeil of the forum. I would be on my second visit to Redi-Med by now.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  09:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Glad to see you're back at it. I started a similar project but am making a flatbed bagged cement hauler. I'll be stopping in to watch the progress.

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, maybe we can see that finished flatbed of yours.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Looks great Louis I'll be following along!!

Just don't use up all those posts answer these guys!!

Thanks Jerry. As long as I tell the Admin's when I reach 17999 post before the 18,000, they can re-set and keep me from locking-up.
I did notify them when I got to 17999, but made the mistake of making another post to check on things before they had a chance to change my post count.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

With all the slicing and dicing as Rich put it, Lou you're becoming the Ron Popeil of the forum. I would be on my second visit to Redi-Med by now.

Jim

Oh, I go through my share of Band-Aids Jim.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/22/2019 :  10:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The livestock trailer, like with any stock car, the insides cannot have interior posts or bracing that would injure the animals, so the model's sides are built up starting with the slats.
Below is a template (Picture #1) of the slatted side for HO 1:87th scale, along with a ruler for you to copy, and adjust your printer until the ruler matches yours is provided. Once you have a good match of the ruler, the template is right on scale for use.
The second template (Picture #2) is what Iím using for my version of the kit bash. With one section removed to be replaced with a front panel.
To build up the slatted sides you can start by cementing two parallel styrene thick strips to a base to establish the top and bottom of the side as per the magazine article. Or, like I am doing just tape down a ruler for a straight bottom, (Picture #3) and build up from there.
Taking the height from the cut-apart Mini Metals trailer, the dimension of mine from the top to the bottom of the sides is 58/64". (Machinist's rulers have these divisions, but it comes out to 29/32", which is easier). Iím just using a scan of the slatted side from the magazine article taped down to a piece of glass, and using double sided tape on top of that to stick down the slats, then build up from the slats with the posts and bracing.
Your needed bill of materials for the slatted sides, and rear door are as follows;
Evergreen Scale Models:
#8102 - 1 x 2 styrene strip
#8103 - 1 x 3 styrene strip
#8104 - 1 x 4 styrene strip
#8203 - 2 x 3 styrene strip
#8206 - 2 x 6 styrene strip
#2080 - .020 V-groove sheet styrene
#9020 - .020 Plain sheet styrene

Louis

jerryrbeach
New Hire

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  6:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
You are doing a masterful job on this trailer. Not only have you posted photos of the prototype trailers, you have explained in detail how to make the new sides. As a bonus, you even spent the time to post templates so others would have an easier path to building a stock trailer. My hat's off to you. My only regret is that it is too new for the era I model...

Jerry Beach

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerryrbeach

Louis,
You are doing a masterful job on this trailer. Not only have you posted photos of the prototype trailers, you have explained in detail how to make the new sides. As a bonus, you even spent the time to post templates so others would have an easier path to building a stock trailer. My hat's off to you. My only regret is that it is too new for the era I model...

Thanks Jerry for the kind comments, and checking in on this kitbash project. I'm kind of on a hold at the moment, but will return to finish this project. Many thanks for your posting to this build.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  11:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking back through those days, it's a wonder that more cattle didn't 'bust out' of those trailers. I guess they were so packed in there, they couldn't get up a head of steam.

Jim

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  3:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, any updates on this trailer project?

Greg Shinnie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, any updates on this trailer project?

Greg Shinnie

Thanks for checking in Greg on my progress, but I'm sorry to say with the reaching 18,000 posts back then again, and waiting for the re-set of the posts locking-up. And, now summer scale of 1:1 projects, has put this project on the back burner for the moment. However, I shall return at some point in time.

Louis

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, thanks for the update regarding this project!
I hear you about summer being here, and lots of 1:1 stuff to do.
I'll see you in the fall!

Greg

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000