Railroad Line Forums - Lou's Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Lou's Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts
Page: of 3

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  2:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a Railroad Model Craftsman June 2011 issue I found a kitbash by Ron Christensen, where he took a Mini Metals tractor trailer and did a “Kitbashing a stock trailer” article. This inspired me to do a little research on these livestock trucks, and build one for myself.
After some research on the internet I found that Fruehauf was the first to introduce a livestock van in the 1940’s and 50’s. Where the CMW Mini Metals vehicle also used the Fruehauf trailer, it was a no-brainer to use this vehicle, as Ron Christensen did, for my kitbash as well. Picture below shows the kitbash that Ron Christensen built for the magazine article.

Not only was Fruehauf the first to introduce a livestock van, but the early and beautiful rounded nose trailers had reduced jack knifing, and also gave the truck and trailer a greater turning radius. As technology improved the rounded nose trailer became obsolete as customers complained of dead cargo space in the nose, and the rounded nose trailers were eventually abandoned in favor of square nosed trailers of today. Other classic hallmarks of the Fruehauf Trailer are the I-beam axle, torsion bar suspension, self-lubricating brake lines. See below pictures of the Fruehauf trailers.

I’m starting my build with a Classic Metal Works Hennis IH R-190 Tractor/32’ Aerovan Trailer. One difference in my kitbash will be to leave the front panel on each side of the trailer.
If you notice the magazine article truck (first picture) you will see that the slatted sides go from the rear, all the way up to the front. On the prototypes I see they have a panel at the front, on each side, as shown on the two Prototype pictures. The above second prototype picture shows the panel I will be leaving on my version of this kitbash. The following post will start with the trailer shell removal, and views of both my version of the build, and the magazine Arthur’s version. I will be posting both templates of the slatted sides, that way you can build yours in either version.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, it's no wonder that I can't keep up!
I just finished commenting on your wonderful( I better not use that word) job that you did on your last loco project, and about my tardy reply too it.
Hit post, looked at the list of active topics and here you go again!
Now kitbashing a livestock trailer & truck!
Looks like another interesting project to watch, and try to keep up with.

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be along too Louis...

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  7:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, it's no wonder that I can't keep up!
I just finished commenting on your wonderful( I better not use that word) job that you did on your last loco project, and about my tardy reply too it.
Hit post, looked at the list of active topics and here you go again!
Now kitbashing a livestock trailer & truck!
Looks like another interesting project to watch, and try to keep up with.

Greg Shinnie

Greg, I'm all over the modeling spectrum. It's time to give a vehicle build, or two, a go.
I'm glad you found it, I wasn't sure if anyone even looks at the Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling threads.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

I'll be along too Louis...

Thanks Carl for your continued support with my builds.

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  8:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, the once mighty Fruehauf shops in Fort Wayne that remain, stand empty. A lot of Fruehauf history around here. They were right down the road from the IH International Harvester Truck Division. I'll be watching this one.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 04/10/2019 8:13:19 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  09:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Lou, the once mighty Fruehauf shops in Fort Wayne that remain, stand empty. A lot of Fruehauf history around here. They were right down the road from the IH International Harvester Truck Division. I'll be watching this one.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the added information about Fruehauf, and for following along with this kitbash.

Louis

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

This project should prove to be interesting. It’s already educational.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Louis,

This project should prove to be interesting. It’s already educational.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  10:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To start with, in Memory of our friend, and fellow Railroad-line member modeler Chester Fesmire, I build this with him in mind, for he was a master at 1:87’th scale vehicle modeling.
The first picture shows the donor we will be using for this kit bash. There are four (4) plastic tabs that the body shell locks into the base of the trailer, that first need to be released to remove the body shell. Second and third pictures show the locations of these tabs.

Louis

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  10:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be here too Louis. I am just getting over the flu that has kept me away for a few days since early last week.

Rich

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is going to be an interesting and fun project to follow, Louis. Looking forward to more.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  1:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be another fun one to watch.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I will be here too Louis. I am just getting over the flu that has kept me away for a few days since early last week.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I was down with the flu as well, seems as though many were this year.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

This is going to be an interesting and fun project to follow, Louis. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Russ, I'm hoping I can pull this kit bash off. After seeing how small these slats are in HO scale to work with, I'm worried about my finger fumbling.

Louis

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  4:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

This is going to be another fun one to watch.

Thank you Bill. After seeing the many well done vehicles you have produced, I'm going to give it a try.

Louis

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: boat model Topic Next Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000