Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Family Farm Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Page: of 13

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very effective scenery. Your trees look really nice.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  10:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Nice progress, looks good You could have an early Arbor Day event and invite a bunch of crew and passengers to help plant more trees :)

I agree Bill, a few extra hands making these trees would be a great help. I am seeing green even in my dreams. Model RR's in the mountains soak up a lot of trees. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 02/13/2020 10:10:49 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2020 :  10:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick and Jerry: Thanks for the feedback. Everyone seems to like the dark green car the best. I will most likely continue that color in the next several coaches. I cannot find much info on what the original colors in 1921 were and the B&W piccies from that era do not provide many clues.

Michael: Glad you like the trees. 76 done and a BAZILLION more to go.. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 02/13/2020 10:12:07 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2020 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom, You are making me want to drive up to the mountains with these picture. Keep up the good work.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/15/2020 :  10:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Doc Tom, You are making me want to drive up to the mountains with these picture. Keep up the good work.

Thank you kind sir. A drive or a railroad ride in the mountains is always good for the soul

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2020 :  8:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would switch tracks this week and make some little people to populate the Linville LDE.

I started with everyone's favorite “Tweetsie” engineer, Mr. Sherman Pippin.

Shapeways 3-D printing makes a very nice rendition of this iconic figure. With paint, paint washes, and dry brushing I created my model of Mr. Pippin.

I did not want to stop with Mr. P and have attempted a recreation of Mr. Cy Crumley, a beloved conductor on the ET&WNC RR. Here are Messers Pippin and Crumley posing in classic railroad photos with two friends from Germany Helga and Heidi (Orange plastic Preiser figures with paint jobs.).

Shapeways was nice enough to make a working man Mr Pippin shoveling coal.So I put him to work.

The story goes that Mr. Pippin, always a kind gentleman, offered to shovel coal for Fireman Fred when his back was out. All Fred had to do was drive the locomotive. Sherman did holler some instructions to Fred above the noise of the panting locomotive.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  04:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  05:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you post a link to the shapeways figures you are using, they look nice. great work on the layout as well, the ET&WNC is one of my favorites.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More good work. You done real good with Messrs.Pippin, Crumley & Fred.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  8:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

can you post a link to the shapeways figures you are using, they look nice. great work on the layout as well, the ET&WNC is one of my favorites.

Hello CT. Yes, here is the link to the Shapeways models of Sherman and Cy. Looks like they are going for $15 for both.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AMHC95LER/1-48-scale-combo-engineer-conductor-pack?optionId=56595772&li=shops

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  8:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bill and Rick. Glad you liked the little peeps. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  8:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helga and Heidi from Germany are moving to Linville North Carolina. Being rather affluent, they have their brand-new T-Model in tow behind the ET&WNC RR passenger train.

Conductor Cy Crumley knows just the place outside of Linville to let then get a good glimpse of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

While quite a stunning view, Heidi would rather play in the car.

These are some of the many trees I've been working on this weekend to give the layout a mountainous look.

The layout has sure come a long way from the blue foam stage.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  9:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking Great Doc! Thanks for sharing the link!

Philip

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2020 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a transformation from the blue foam.
Thanks for the pics.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  9:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
REDO OF PREVIOUS POST ,NOW WITH CORRECT SIZED PICTURES

Scared “sheepless” on the ET&WNC.

ET&WNC engine #12 is barreling out of Linville N.C. and heading towards Geraldo’s farm tucked in a holler in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

You would think Geraldo’s critters would be used to the steam locomotive calling for grade just outside his barn.

But no, the sheep are scared and bleating up a storm and the ole gray mare is prancing and pawing the ground and ready to take off at a gallop.

The only calm four legged mammal is Jessie, Geraldo’s milk cow. She is busy with a nice mouthful of cud and not to concerned about the contraption upsetting the peace of a summer’s day in 1921.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 04/03/2020 10:26:01 AM

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Family Farm Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000