Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Page: of 13

Trainfan63
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  7:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi WoW!
This is a really great looking layout ,I've been following your progress its really taking shape I love the Ian Rice plans and the way you've rearranged it.
What I would really like to know if you don't mind me asking is what scale is the car , what make , and where did you get it . I'm modeling the 1900 to 1915 era and it is really difficult to find any golden era vehicles at all here in Canada.
I would really appreciate it .

Thanks Patrick

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/24/2020 :  3:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trainfan63

Hi WoW!
This is a really great looking layout ,I've been following your progress its really taking shape I love the Ian Rice plans and the way you've rearranged it.
What I would really like to know if you don't mind me asking is what scale is the car , what make , and where did you get it . I'm modeling the 1900 to 1915 era and it is really difficult to find any golden era vehicles at all here in Canada.
I would really appreciate it .

Thanks Patrick

Hello Patrick. Thank you for your nice posting.

I found the model T automobile on eBay in the On30 scratch built section of all places! It is a 1:43 scale model. Yesterday, I looked underneath the model with magnification and found it was made in China by a company called"CIL." I know this is not a lot but that is all I could fine. It just looks like the model T in the prototype picture of the Linville Depot from the 1920s – 1930s.

I was glad to see that you're interested in the older automobiles also and wondered if I could pick your brain. What is the long car in the prototype picture above? I would like to search eBay for that model in the near future. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Color comes to Linville NC on the ET&WNC R.R.

This little layout is built on shelf that is about 18 inches– 24 inches deep. The East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad was definitely a mountain railroad. To get the look of depth and mountain scenery this little railroad needed a backdrop. When I saw that Railroad backdrops.com/affordable model railroads ………was voted the best in the Model Railroader magazine I took a look. When I saw they had a backdrop labeled “Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina” I was sold. I do not know where they took the picture but the backdrop is making my Linville LDE a little closer to the real deal in the prototype picture.

Here are some before and after shots showing how the masonite was used to secure the backdrop.

As always, thanks for looking. Dr. Tom

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  6:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, love the floating shelf and backdrop design!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2020 :  08:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Wow, love the floating shelf and backdrop design!

Thank you kind sir.
Doc Tom

Trainfan63
New Hire

Posted - 01/28/2020 :  10:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the info. I will see what I can find on E Bay I did not know they had a scratch built section , should be interesting .
That is a great back drop , that is something I'm having problems with . My Ry follows the W.W.& F 2 footer as a proto type but back drops or even pics a rare.
Again my thanks Patrick

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2020 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Suddenly your railroad has moved amidst the mountains. The backdrop really enhances your modeling.

Mike

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 01/30/2020 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a difference!
Did you know the valleys in your backdrop were going to line up with your scenery, or was that just a happy accident?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/31/2020 :  10:09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work, and everything flows nicely into your backdrop. You've got a good eye for modeling Tom!
If I were ever to do another layout, I wished I had made all my layout made at an arms length away from the isles and wall. I've got popup hatches and have to use a Topside Creeper in some areas.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  8:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Glad you liked the backdrop.

Here's the next installment on this little RR in the BIG mountains:

RPO/ Baggage Car #15 rides the rails at Linville on the ET & WNC RR.

Maintenance man J.R.Smith is patiently awaiting the opening of the baggage door on the new #15 combine at Linville Station. He has work to do. The security minded postal workers are busy fumbling with the pad locked door and there will be some delays in getting “J. R.” on board. But there will be no postal robberies by the likes of Jessie James this day.

This is the second Deerfield Laser Kit I have built up on a donated On30 Bachmann chassis. I chose a different paint scheme after riding a prototype passenger car at “Tweetsie” this past summer at the ET & WNC RR Historical society meeting.

Here is #15 with sister Azalea in a different shade of green.

Here are some older color shots of # 15 as well. Let me know, with your 1920’s imagination, which color looks best ?

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/09/2020 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the benefits of using foam to build mountains and hills is that, unlike the prototype, they are quite easy to move and lightweight. It was time for some trees on the Linville LDE. So one of the hills was removed to the workbench and trees planted.

I really got into the swing of things and the next thing you know pine trees and hardwoods were sprouting up all over the place.

Putting a train into the picture really gave a sense of perspective and distance. Keep in mind that this shelf layout is only 18 inches deep.

33 trees are in place and a whole heck of a lot more are needed.

Thank you for looking and all commentary is welcome.

Dr. Tom

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  09:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, looks good You could have an early Arbor Day event and invite a bunch of crew and passengers to help plant more trees :)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  3:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those scenes with the trains definitely look deeper than 18".
Good work.

Don't know how I missed your earlier post but I think the darker color looks better.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  5:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that is some nice scenery.

I too like the darker car.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000