Railroad Line Forums - The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Page: of 13

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More work on the Linville layout design element(LDE)

I've had a little more time to work on the Linnville LD E.

This is what I'm shooting for in the next few months:

I placed the 1:1 track plan on the blue foam shelf layout. I used the turnout templates from PECO and pushpins to trace out the track lines.

I then connected all the little dots with a sharpie pen and then had an outline of the track and turnouts.

I also used the same technique to map out the roads and geographic outlines of hills and railroad crossings.

It looks like the On30 models of ET&WNC narrow gauge rolling stock will fit nicely.

Next I cut out Blue foam forms for the foothills that surrounded the Linville Depot. They are stacked like wedding cake and will receive carving of rocks and sculptamold ground covering soon.

You can get a good idea of how the nearby logging lines will connect to the Linnville LDE.

Thanks for looking. All ideas, critiques and input greatly appreciated. Dr. Tom

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  12:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really starting to take shape. Looks great so far.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  04:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress.
Thanks for the update.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry and Rick. More to come.

Doc Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the prototype photos, especially the rustic appearance of the depot with the shingles. Is this a touristy area?

M

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  10:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Nice progress!

Philip

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I really like the prototype photos, especially the rustic appearance of the depot with the shingles. Is this a touristy area?

M

Hi. Thank you for your comment. Yes the Linville Depot is located in the mountains of North Carolina. It serves to provide connection to a nearby lodge where city folk could enjoy the mountains. It help provide a reason for the very nice narrow gauge passenger cars that ran on the ET&WNC RR. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Nice progress!

Philip

Thank you Phil. More to come. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  9:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLUE FOAM TAKES ON SOME COLORS AND TEXTURE.

On my On30 logging mini layout I used Blue Foam landforms in anticipation of this layout depicting the ET &WNC.

Even learned to carve the foam to look like rock strata by using the edge of a whirling dremel rotary sander.

So it was time to put those experiences to work on this latest project.

First the profiles of the mountains and hills on the Linville LDE were smoothed out using a Surefoam tool.

Rock was carved using the trusty Dremel. The first layers of forest ground cover were made up using latex paints and a variety of ground foams.

Unlike the logger mini, set in wintertime, this mountain RR is set in glorious summer in the Blue Ridge. Next up will be the greens of ground cover and then the trees.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2019 :  06:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress and thanks for the pics.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  2:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evolution at Linville

The transformation from blue foam to colourful topography is underway on the layout design element at Linville on the On30 ET& WNC RR.

Low lying shrubs and grasses have been planted on the hillsides in anticipation of O scale trees in full summer growth to come in the future.

Homabed roadbed has been placed in preparation for track laying. So, we have gone from track plans to getting the foundation down for the modeled track work.

I also did the trim of the layout in an olive green color that I think matches the color of the railroad coaches on the 1920 prototype. I would appreciate comments on what Color was actually used by the ET&WNC railroad in 1920 to paint their beautiful varnish.

Thanks for looking.

Doc Tom

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Doc sure makes a difference with some ground foam an shrubs.

This is really starting to take shape very nice so far. Looking forward to the next installment.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  6:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Hey Doc sure makes a difference with some ground foam an shrubs.

This is really starting to take shape very nice so far. Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks for following along Jerry. Agree it is good to get away from that blue foam "look." More to come. Tom

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  9:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta like that approach for laying it out, the scenery work is great, its going to look terrific!

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  9:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironflyer

Gotta like that approach for laying it out, the scenery work is great, its going to look terrific!

Thanks Paul. Yeah I always wanted to try a full size blow up of a track plan to build a layout. So far the technique is working. More to come. Doc Tom

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000