Railroad Line Forums - Hayes off road Logging Truck
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Hayes off road Logging Truck
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Die cast excavator Topic Next Topic: More junk yard fodder
Page: of 3

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  8:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently was given a model of a Hayes HDX-1000 Off Road Logging truck to build.

It's a resin model made by Don Mills Models. This one was started by another modeller who gave up on it and I'm starting where he left off.

The front and rear suspension and axles had been installed but the rear assembly was twisted badly and two of the axle pegs were broken off. I decided to take the rear suspension apart and re-do it.

The rear mounting pegs for the springs had to be drilled out and replaced and the glue points where the springs attach to the axles were out of square so I filed these flat and glued some styrene strip to these points. That way I was able to use some slower setting styrene cement to try to get things a bit better square.

I then glued the two springs and axles in place. I waited until these had all set up and then I glued the assembly parallel with the truck frame. I had also drilled holes in the rear axles so I can replace the wheel mounting pins.
I figure any other discrepancies can be fixed with enlarging the mounting holes in the wheels.

Finally I glued the engine and driveshaft into place. So far the re-work has taken about two days. I almost threw the rowel in last night when I couldn't get the rear suspension to work for me.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  8:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep at it, Glen! You're making Major Progress on a complicated kit.

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  10:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don Mills makes some fine looking truck models, this is the first I've seen layed out on the work bench. Quite a few bits and pieces. I see where someone could be overwhelmed by it if you weren't very skilled. Glen, I'm sure it will be fun for one of your skill. Love to see it all come together.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/03/2019 10:57:04 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking logging truck Glen, Don Mills has some great models as Karl already said. You can find some outstanding ideas on the 1/87 Vehicle Club website. One of Chester's favorites. Looking forward to your progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  12:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks impressive even in early stages.

Resin isnít for everybody; apparently that includes the modeler preceding you.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen now that's a "kit".

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  3:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,

That looks impressive alright, I would have put it all back in the box and put it in a safe place.... For later... That's another reason why we end up with crowded shelves...

Rich

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of us have lots of kits awaiting that universal missing part, a Round Tuit.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
The Spartan Line

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  7:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking components.

No wonder the one currently on Ebay is offered for $85.00 plus S/H...

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  10:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. I have discovered that the kit is missing two parts, the driveshaft between the two rear axles and the main pole for the trailer. I can probably just fabricate the driveshaft out of some styrene rod and the trailer main pole is just some aluminum tubing which I have lots of. I just have to figure out the length of the pole.

I have made a bit of progress

I glued the two parts of the headache rack/cab protector and primered the cab and hood parts. I can't assemble these onto the truck frame yet as I have to paint the back of the cab and front of the headache rack before. I also have to paint a few other parts before assembly.

I did however place the parts on the frame to see what they looked like. I also glued the log bunk and frame mounts on place.
I can only go so far as I'm waiting for some airbrush parts to be delivered. Until them I'll continue to assemble as much as I can.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  10:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loooooking Good!

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
The Spartan Line

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done! Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  12:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I managed a bit more work today.

Mostly I added some details to the components. I replaces the broken axle shafts with some styrene rod. The wheels aren't glued on so please forgive the rather crooked look to them. The side extenders on the headache rack were very fragile resin castings that I replaced with MDC freight car ladders, they are almost the exact dimensions to the originals. I can't really go any further on this until I get my airbrush back in working condition. I figure that will be in a week or so.

I did start work on the trailer though. The fellow I'm building this for wants the trailer in the stowed position so I will have to glue the suspension on an angle to accommodate that but I don't see that as being difficult.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one muscle truck! Nice looking power wagon.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can almost hear it getting ready to run down those backroads. That X-Acto handle has seen some heavy action. Nice job!

Jim

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Die cast excavator Topic Next Topic: More junk yard fodder  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000