Railroad Line Forums - Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: 1892 Standard Oil Empty Barrel Car  

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  3:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I am new here and decided to join based on the threads regarding early rail.
The question I have, is regarding the measurements listed in the Official Railway Equipment Register for 1901. I am not sure what the numbers listed represent.
I have attached an image and was hoping someone can connect the dots for me. Which measurements apply where?
Also, when the length of the car is given on the outside, ie 34FT, is that for inside or outside?

Download Attachment: ORRERBoxCarDims.jpg
80.59 KB

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the diagram, dimension "A" (34')would be the exterior length of the car over the end sills.

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  6:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

According to the diagram, dimension "A" (34')would be the exterior length of the car over the end sills.

Slimrails,

Thanks, but I was hoping for an explanation of all the "outside" measurements.
Also regarding the 34Ft, sometimes a boxcar will be listed as 34FT, or have 34FT written on the outside, is that an indication of the inside or outside dimension?
I am trying to build some cars from photos or whatever info I have and being able to know what dimensions are what is helpful. Attached is an ad for Central Despatch and the car is marked
34FT.

Download Attachment: CentralStatesDespatch.jpg
62.09 KB

Edited by - CNE1899 on 02/25/2019 6:13:32 PM

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  6:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dimension on the exterior of the car is the interior length. That is what is important for the shipper.
Somewhere in the ORER it explains all the dimensions and where they are measured from.

Howard Garner
modeling 12905 in southern Minnesota

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Early1905

The dimension on the exterior of the car is the interior length. That is what is important for the shipper.
Somewhere in the ORER it explains all the dimensions and where they are measured from.

Howard Garner
modeling 12905 in southern Minnesota

Howard, Thanks!
I have looked through these, but I guessed I've missed it.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  7:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for this type of information go here, maybe some help for you; https://www.railinc.com/rportal/documents/18/260655/UmlerDataSpecs.pdf

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 02/25/2019 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

If you are looking for this type of information go here, maybe some help for you; https://www.railinc.com/rportal/documents/18/260655/UmlerDataSpecs.pdf

Thanks Louis,

Very interseting, but that looks like it's for a lot more modern rolling stock than what I'm interested in.
I'm looking at rolling stock from 1895 to 1904.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2019 :  10:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as most cars were 50' or less, the dimension over the end sills could be used to figure out length over coupling faces. But with longer cars, cushion underframes etc, they started listing length over coupling faces. I believe until at least WWII the 'outside length' was over the end sills as Russ said above.

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  10:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On your diagram, the first 3 columns are inside dimensions. The inside length is the distance between the interiors of the car ends. That is the nominal length of the car. If you say, its a 34 ft car the distance between the inside of the ends will be 34 ft. The inside width is the distance between the interiors of the car sides. The interior height is the distance from the floor of the car to inside eaves (not the peak of the roof).

On your diagram, the next 5 columns are the exterior dimensions. Heights are measured from the top of rail. The outside length is over the buffers (for a link and pin coupler) or over the pulling faces of the coupler. Its how long the car will be in a train. The width at eaves or platform is the width at the eaves (widest part of the roof) or the deck of a flat car or gon. Heights to the eaves is the widest part of the roof, to the top of platform or running board its the top of the platforms or running board. Height overall is to the top of the brake wheel or any other part of the car that sticks above the running board.

The door measurements are the inside dimensions of the door openings, height and width, sides and ends.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: 1892 Standard Oil Empty Barrel Car  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000