Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  11:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! For the interest and for your posts, Jerry, Bob, Carl and Jeff.

Jerry, I thought that the walls came out nice too!

Bob, Dario does an excellent job on his instructions!

Carl, I know that I've been taking notes.

Jeff, I could not have said it better myself.
Dario, does a very thorough job in bringing these kits to fruition.

Now on too the building the main floor for the barn.
The instructions tell us to get 4 pcs. of 4x6 and 22 pcs. of 6x8 also 30 pcs. of 2x12(I ended up using 33 pcs.) and finally 2 pcs. of 12x12.

The instructions now suggest adding some grain texture to this wood.
I used my razor saw to scribe some wood grain into my boards.
They also suggest doing both sides of the 2x12 so you won't have to watch which side has the texture when your gluing them down.

Next we have to stain all of this wood, the instructions suggest using "Hunterline" wood stains. Light gray first then Blue gray, and finally Medium brown.
I didn't have the first 2 stains on hand, so I used the Hunterline Driftwood stain and then the Medium brown after the first stain had dried.
I set the piles of stained lumber to dry on a paper towel.

While that was drying I got ready for the next steps by cutting out the Fig.4 full size Main floor template and taped it down to my work surface.
I also cut 17 pieces of 6x8 into 4" inch lengths. You basically cut the 6x8 wood in half, to be used as the floor joists.

Adding a speck of glue right onto the template, you could put wax paper over top of the template if you want.
On either end of where the 6x8 floor joists will sit.
I used weights to hold them down until the white glue had a chance to set.

Slowly working my way across until I was done.
Keeping some weight on the entire template until the joists were set in place.

After the joists had a chance to dry in place on the template, I began to lay the 2x12 floor boards over top of the joist.
Cutting them in random lengths, not running entire strips of wood.

I discovered a technique that worked at keeping the boards all tight to one another and for holding them down until the glue had a chance to set.
I placed one square that I had behind the floor board to hold it tight to it's neighbour.

And another square used on top of the board that I'm currently gluing down.
I could slide these squares along the boards as I proceeded.

I ended up being about 3 boards away from finishing with the floor boards, when I ran out of flooring material.
So I quickly stained 3 more boards, and waited for them to dry.
In the meantime I removed the almost finished floor form the template using a razor to cut away the joists from the paper template.
Once I had enough pulled back I was able to just tear it off the template by turning it over.

I then carefully scraped using the razor again the paper that was still stuck to the joists.

By the time I was done doing that the extra floor boards were dry, so I finished off the little bit.
And ended up with a nice looking main floor for the barn.

That's all I have for now.
Next time the support system that will go under this floor.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  12:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg the staining of the floor boards came out with a nice random pattern.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  07:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, nice floor color, looking good! What will be on that floor - hay, cows/other big animals? If the latter, maybe some more roughening of boards and old dried mud where many sharp hooves have been tracking in and out for ages. I've seen some pretty dinged up barn floors.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  08:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry & Bill, for your posts.

Jerry, I was pleased with the random pattern as well.

Bill, your right this still looks way to clean for a barn floor.
I will further enhance it's appearance as I go.

Thanks again for posting your observations!

Greg

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Interesting way to build up a large floor and keep it square. Nice work.

Bernd

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm floored with the progress.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you're not board with it by now!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  11:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Frank & Carl, thanks for your puns & posts!

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2019 :  6:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work and tutorial Greg. Now if we just had the floorplan we all could build it too.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice, Greg. Good job.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  12:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good progress, Greg! The flooring stain looks terrific and I like your railroad-themed weights, too.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  1:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Greg.

Does Dario give a reason for using different mediums for the foundations and walls?

I think I'll continue to use wax paper over my plans - you look like you had a fair bit of clean-up.

Enjoying your very complete how-to.

Cheers,Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your interest & posts, Rich, Mike, Russ & Mark.

Mark, I think the reason that Dario decided to use two different mediums for the barn foundation was,
the Hydrocal just seems to look better when it's painted as we have shown, than a resin casting would have.
I've built many Downtown Deco kits over the years, and the colours that I get on Hydrocal castings looks far better than any resin walls that I've done.
The old cement wall sections just would not be painted up like the stonewalls, rather plain in comparison so he went with the resin on those.

As to placing wax over the templates, I'm getting lazy as I get older.
Besides I'm never going to use them again, after I build this so why bother.
If it were a template that could be possibly used on something else, then I would use the wax paper.

Hi everyone, it's time to finish this main floor off.
The instructions tell us to measure & make two pencil marks on the underside of the joists, a 1 3/8" in from the left & right sides.

I did this on both ends of this main floor, then I took a ruler and lined up my marks a either end and traced a line with a pencil down the entire length on each side.

I then glued into place the 6x8 stripwood along the pencil lines.
The 6x8 stripwood is not long enough to cover all of the floor joist so you need to cut a smaller piece of it to cover the remaining floor joists.

So after you get both of those 6x8 beams glued down, you will then need to cut out of the same 6x8 material the posts that will be attached to those beams you just glued into place.
You will need 16 of them cut at 31/32" in length.

You will then need to glue these posts one by one in place shown on the Fig.5 large template sheet.
I worked along one beam at a time, using my squares once again to keep these post perfectly straight and square.

Finishing one side first, then working on the other beam.

I finished those post all off then I turned my attention to the Fig.5 template again.
Taped it to my flat work surface again and started cutting the 4x6 braces that will be attached to the posts.
I started with the larger of the braces first, making certain that you cut these on their sides.
I also glued a scrap piece of wood right on the paper template to act as a stop for my wood.
So that I might get more consistent looking braces when cutting all 32 of them.

The same trick was used on the smaller braces.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  5:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Then using some tweezers and a Terrell toothpick to apply glue to these brace ends I started to glue them around the tops of the posts.
As shown below.

I kept sighting them as I went along to make certain that they all lined up when you look down the line at them.
And any bits of glue that squirts out from the braces, I wipe off using a damp with water brush.
This is how it looked when I was finished

I was now ready to glue this main floor to my foundation.
Making certain that the outer edges of the floor were in line with the outer edges of the foundation.
Also painted the double door casting that will be used to help complete the barn foundation.
By gluing it between the 2 halves of this foundation.
I ran a bead of white glue on top of the foundations walls, and carefully positioned the floor on top of the foundation walls.
I placed a big weight on the floor, and waited for the glue to dry.

You will notice that my barn foundation is now all white.
I decided to paint my entire foundation all white, due to the fact that's how the barns in my area all look.
I will further weather these now painted white walls as the build progresses.

That's it for now.
Next we start building this barn's walls!

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/15/2019 8:26:02 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2019 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You - lazy? Now that's crazy talk!

Thanks for the explanation of the different mediums used for the walls. I thought it might be about how they take paint.

I see you were out building decks until the cows came home!

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000