Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My basement is like a smash up derby of dioramas & structures, so the more sturdy the base the better chance it has of surviving it!

Unless a clumsy ox like me rams their elbow into one of the poles or something!
It looks like you're off to a good start on this one, Greg.

Jeff

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  9:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, looks like you're off to a good start. Where will this diorama go when completed? into your layout someday? into a display case? some place else? This will be good to follow whatever the destination.

Maybe for future projects you might have better luck getting Gatorfoam from a company that builds exhibits and displays for trade shows, museums and the like. I once got some free medium sized 'scraps' from a small company like that.
They were different thicknesses and colors (white coating on white foam, black coating on black foam and kraft paper tan coating on white foam). They had no use for them and no place to store them.

Gatorfoam is tough, stable, water resistant - important if your barn will be full of cows or miniature horses clumping - and other things - around :)

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the build with us Greg, will be following.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  07:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Rich, Jeff, Bill & Nelson, for your interest & for your posts.

Rich, by doing the base first and copying what Dario has already laid out, pretty well commits me to following the original layout design of this scene.

Jeff, you of all people are familiar with my lack of elbow room in my workshop.

Bill, I will try and work this farm scene into a future layout, but that's what I thought about my last farm scene that I sold to "Our Home & Miniature Land"
I think this one's going to be better than the last one, so I'm glad that I saved the more interesting one for myself.
I will try to use Gator board one day, just not on this one.

Nelson, glad to have you along for the ride!

Greg

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That egg carton organizer is really slick, this is some kit!

Jim

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim.
With the U.S. dollar worth more than the Canadian dollar, it makes this kit a really good deal for U.S. residents buying one of these kits!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  8:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, building the barn foundation is what I'm going to tackle next.
Here's a look at what I want to achieve shown below, taken from the large Fig.2 & 2a sheet dealing with this foundation.

Here's a look at the entire sheet, showing the full scale overviews of how these foundation walls will look, and how they piece together.

The foundation walls are composed of 3 different materials, wood, resin wall castings and Hydrocal stone wall castings.
Here's the package containing the wood & resin wall pieces.

The Hydrocal castings are carefully packed separately in the black box.
The instructions tell us to first paint the resin concrete wall castings "Aged concrete"
So that's what I did.
I just happened to have an old bottle of Floquil in that colour, but if you don't you can use the Micro Scale colour reference chart to find out what brand matches the best.

After setting those aside to dry I turned my attention to identifying the wood sections used in this barn foundation.
All of the measurements are clearly listed on the Fig.2 & 2a sheets.
The largest wooden wall section needed 2 pieces of 1/8" sq. cut the same height as the wall glued flush on either side on one end.
So I did that before I really needed to do so, that way it would be dry and ready to go when needed.

To be continued.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  8:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next the instructions explain how to go about colouring the Hydrocal stone wall castings.
You will need the following colours of paint.
They are all "Model Master" enamel paints.
Dark Gull Gray, Dark Tan, Military Brown, SAC Bomber tan and Wood.
You begin using the Wood colour first, you want to really thin the paint down so it's more of a wash/stain than a paint.
I did this by using 2 small plastic containers one with a drop of wood paint in it.
And the other with some paint thinner in it.

I thinned the paint down, and tested it on the backside of the Hydrocal casting to see how it looked.
You want some of the white of the casting to still show through, after you have applied your wash.

Happy with what I saw in the test, I continued on to washing the front of these castings.

And this is how they came out looking in the wash.

Now with the remaining paint colours that you have using the same thinned down paint method just discussed, I started to paint individual stones in the walls.
I had trouble finding the SAC Bomber tan colour, so I substituted with Floquil weathered black instead.
You give the casting a wash of light A&I 9India Ink & Alcohol afterwards.
And drybrush them lightly with "Polly Scale" Aged white.
This is how mine came out looking.

I was now ready to begin assembling the wall sections into foundation walls.
I begun with the Fig.2 wall.
I used 2 types of glue, when gluing these walls together. Where resin contacted resin I used CA.
When wood met up with wood or hydrocal I used white glue.
So you just follow what the full scale drawing shows, always making certain that you are keeping every part square and in line with the one you are attaching it to.
While building this section of foundation I noticed that one of the measurements was not right. It says you are to keep the 2 bump out sections 2 1/2 inches apart.
It should be 2 1/4 inches apart (shown below)

So when you add the right side bump out you have a 2 1/4" inch space between them.
Not a 2 1/2 inch space.
Also don't forget to add your 1/8" sq. corner braces for extra strength.

I also decided to further enhance the strength of my walls by gluing strips of black construction paper covering all of the joints.
And also checked what I had built by laying my foundation wall right on top of the full scale drawing.
It looked good to me.

So then I turned my attention to 2a foundation. found no problem with the measurements for that one.
Again adding the strips of construction paper glued to the backsides of the foundation walls for added strength.

Placing these 2 foundations together with the use of a 4" inch spacer bar.
And a metal door casting between the 2 sections this is how the final configuration will look.
Just like the drawing I showed you at the beginning of this post.

That's it for now.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/13/2019 09:58:31 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  9:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You are off to a great start with the foundation. I will keep watching as you proceed with the washing and painting of the stones. Looks easy the way you do it.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Your foundation walls have a lot of texture. The paint really enhances it nicely.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Rich & Mike, for your posts.

Rich, you are right, washing & painting the stonework is a easy process.

Mike, I love the 2 different styles of foundation walls, the stonework being the original foundation and the concrete walls for the newer addition to this barn.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  1:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg nice coloring on the walls.

This will be fun to follow.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, your doing a nice job on this kit. The instructions look excellent.

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  1:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dario's instructions and plans look to be very well done.

Some other current kit companies should be taking notes.

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2019 :  2:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, based on my experience with a previous kit with Dario, his instructions are very good. They are very detailed and descriptive. Rather than putting out kits on a very tight timeline, he takes the time to develop his techniques and write them up.

Looking good, Greg.

Jeff

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000