Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  09:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg great work on doing the mortar lines.
They came out perfect!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Wes, Mike, Bill, Bob & Jerry, for your posts and comments.

Wes, I'm glad you are enjoying my explanations!

Mike, I totally agree with you.

Bill, I would have done what you have suggested, however after I posted my steps taken so far last night, I then spray painted the hydrocal walls with white acrylic paint to help seal them.

Bob, it's always great to get a thumbs up from you my friend!

Jerry, I'm glad that you think so, I've never worked on a flagstone covered building before.
Must be beginners luck!

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Great tutorial onward! I like the way you omitted cutting all of the window openings to achieve lighting in special areas, just like in a real house if only some rooms were occupied.

When I build using hydrocal, I like to add interior bracing in the form of thin chipboard glued to the interior walls to add strength to them. In handing the four-sided glued together structure, it helps to keep the walls intact and forestall breakage, if dropped. Also, you don't have to paint the interior walls, as it is already a brown color.

Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking through this thread, and your recent build post, there is some exceptional modeling being done. Hydrocal structures have never been my friend Greg, but you make it look so easy to work with. I crumble just at the thought of working with it.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  2:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Rich & Louis, for your comments.

Rich, like you have done I also usually add some sort of interior bracing to hydrocal structures.
Using either wood or cardboard to do that, though I'm not really certain if it makes it stronger or not.
I just haven't gotten around to adding some into this farmhouse yet.
I once had a hydrocal structure slip out of my hands that had been braced with wood, only falling a few inches on my workbench.
It shattered into several pieces regardless of the extra bracing that was added.
What I really learned from this, is not to drop hydrocal buildings from any height.

Louis, you should really give them another try!
I like that they go together relatively quickly, and can give you great looking brick or stone colours & textures.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, if you haven't painted/stained your stone farmhouse walls yet, NE Brownstone's tutorial is a great reference how-to
https://www.nebrownstone.com/blog/painting-new-england-brownstone-castings/

Edited by - Bill Gill on 05/27/2019 08:34:10 AM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg. Just catching up on your latest work.
The stone walls look great. You've hidden the corner joints perfectly.
Looking forward to seeing how you paints these.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  6:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, thanks for posting that excellent tutorial!
The instructions for this kit suggest using "Pan Pastels" for the colouring of these flagstones on this farmhouse.
I'm going to use paints instead, much like what's shown in the NE Brownstone's tutorial.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Hi Greg. Just catching up on your latest work.
The stone walls look great. You've hidden the corner joints perfectly.
Looking forward to seeing how you paints these.

Robert, thanks for your positive comments and for checking out what I've been up to here!

Hi everyone, I have finally gotten my farmhouse flagstone walls painted!
The instructions suggest using pan pastels to colour these flagstones and then finally sealing them with "Tester's dullcote.
I however decided to paint my hydrocal farmhouse walls using water based paints.
Hydrocal is very porous, so I begin first by sealing the walls with acrylic white spray paint.
It takes several lightly sprayed coats to seal the walls.
You don't want to spray on too much paint that it starts to obscure any of the details on the walls.
It also needs a few days to properly dry, so don't rush let the sealing paint thoroughly dry!
Sorry my photo below showing my end result came out a bit blurry.

I then noticed that this flagstone covered farmhouse didn't have any window sills or lintels.
The sills I could do something about, the lintels above the upper windows would get covered by trim that will be added later.
So I just added the sills using .040 x .100 styrene strips cut to a desirable length and glued on using CA adhesive.
Not so much that the CA would squirt out from under the sill when it was applied, but just enough to hold them in place.
I would have done this before I sealed the walls, but I didn't notice this missing detail until after I sealed them.

I was now ready to begin the process of colouring my walls.
I used "Craftsmart" satin acrylic gray paint as a first coat.
Just a dollop of paint mixed down with some water, so that it's brushed on fairly thin.
This process may require 2 or 3 coats depending how thinly the paint is put on.

This is how my front wall looked after the first application of paint.

After I had applied a few coats of my base colour gray, I was now ready to start adding some colours to individual stones.
Using thinned down acrylic paints once again.

After adding the colour to the stones, I then applied another coat of the base gray paint over top of the walls once again.
Just enough that I could still see some of those coloured stones through the gray paint.
After that had dried I washed all of the wall with a dark A&I solution being careful not to brush the walls to much so spread the A&I solution around.
You will start to remove paint if you toy around with it too much!
I did one side of the farmhouse at a time.
I also painted the interior walls black and the window openings that I did not remove.
Here's how it came out looking.

Here are a few of the window castings painted and placed in the openings to see what they will look like with the walls.
The windows will also eventually get shutters added to them all.

That's it for now, thanks for having a look!

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, good colors on the walls, the gray wash on top blended everything well.
Looks like the windows have 'lintels' of sorts over them, though very irregular sizes and shapes.
The black interior works nicely and the windows fit well, so good progress.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Greg! Love the coloring and the SBS photos!

Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Bill & Pete, for your observations and for taking the time to post them!
My Mom & Dad's house had a flagstone wall in our rec room, so I based my colour choices on my memory of that wall.
Having never painted flagstone before, I was pleased with my results.

Greg

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  12:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And pleased you should be, Greg. You did one fine job on the coloring. I'm looking forward to your progress on this build.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice!! Beautifully blended stone painting!
Dave

David Guffey

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Nice coloring of the walls. I have noticed before that some modelers don't seal their hydrocal walls before painting, and yet others do. Your walls did turn out great. Good job and thanks for the sbs pictures to represent each process.

Rich

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000