Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2019 :  6:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Kevin & Carl, thanks for your interest and for your posts!

Bill, I will take your ideas under consideration.
Maybe throw in a barn owl too!

Kevin, I have not been looking forward to the shingling of this barn.

Carl, my wife has big plans for me once again up at our cottage, I hope to have this done before all of that starts!
We will see how that goes.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work on those rafters!

Ready to see this monster shingled! Are you going to do strips or induvial shingles??

I guess strips you said you wanted to be done before the honey do list at the lake!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  10:24:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Greg, Roof Roof Roof!! (Julia Roberts, Mystic Pizza, polo scene) How did she know way back then that you'd do such a good job fitting the barn roof in 2019?

If the cardstock isn't glued to the rafters yet you might dust up the underside of the overhang. Even though those areas don't get rain runoff from above or spattered mud from below, somehow they seem to still manage to collect a bit of caked on dirt/dust, cobwebs and wasp nests on barns I've seen.
And, here's a little challenge to consider: add a few mud barn swallow nests tucked up there between the rafter tails, the farmer will appreciate them eating the termites that swarm in the Spring. I'll bet a little bit of Sculptamold colored mud brown would work it would stick to the underside all by itself I'll bet and you could poke the openings with a toothpick or blunt needle :)

What Bill said1 I just removed a large nest of sorts over my back door, which doesn't get much use with no kids at home. Thing was back in two days.

With this kind of a Demo Build, ya gotta go with the Realities!

Pete
in Michigan

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg,

That barn is looking fantastic. I had a chance to see the diorama built by Dario and talk with him at Supertrain in Calgary. I saw Tim from Ngineering there as well.

We have our local train show in a couple weeks and I'm working on something for that. After that, I plan to start on my version of Whispering Falls.

Jeff

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  3:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jeff...what ever happened to your beautiful KOKANEE?

John

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  3:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Jerry, Pete & Jeff, for your continued interest and for your posts!

Jerry, yes they are strips of shingles.
I remember doing shingle by shingle on my little shoe house roof. I think that little roof took a few days, I can't imagine how long it would take to do this barn roof like that!

Pete, I see you have joined brother Bill's birds & pests found around barns nature challenge.
How come it's okay for you to remove them, while I have to put them in?

Jeff, did you accidently knock off any pieces of Dario's Whispering Falls diorama?
Nice to hear that you will be starting your Whispering Falls kit soon.
Please feel free to add your progress with it here, if you'd like.

Still here shingling in the basement!

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Pete, I see you have joined brother Bill's birds & pests found around barns nature challenge.
How come it's okay for you to remove them, while I have to put them in?

Greg

Rules.

On the 1:1 stuff, when they help with the maintenance, upkeep and taxes around here, they can stay on the building. Until then, not so much....

Pete
in Michigan

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  6:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg,
I'm checking back in to your build, and it sure is superb. Nice catches on the rafters and planks. Excellent structure.

Rich

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  10:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, Greg.

I was very careful to keep my distance.

John, the KOKANEE is in a case displayed in our front room/library for now. Unfortunately, the layout I had intended to build it for is no longer in existence. I would like to put it into a diorama, module, or layout at some point but for now it is displayed on its own.

Jeff

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I finally have a roof on the barn, and this is how I did mine.
The instructions suggest using 3 different Pan Pastels colours to weather the laser cut shingles used to cover most of this barn.
I however decided to use black to weather my shingles.
I applied the black Pan Pastel using a foam tip, trying to vary the intensity of black as I worked my way through colouring the shingles.

Once that process was finished I began to glue the shingles to the roof cards.
I started with the smallest roof card first, with a starter strip glued upside down.

Then applying another shingle strip right over the first starter strip, but this time the right way up.

The instructions suggested a simple way to apply the glue used to fasten these shingle strips down.
You add little drops of glue along the lines where your next shingle strip will be placed.

Then using a toothpick you smear the glue drops together in a continuous line.
You want to keep this glue in the upper section of the shingle strips, being careful not to glue the lower shingles down themselves.
You will need to lift these shingles later when you are completed.

I finished the small roof using this technique.

I could not yet glue this small roof in place, because I still needed to add the gooseneck lights above the "FESMIRE FARMS" sign on this addition.

After I had those lights in place I glued down this small roof to the front addition on this barn.
I then started working on the larger barn roof.
I came up with an idea of adding some valley flashing to the area of where the workshop roof meets the larger barn roof.

The instructions also tell us to add a strip of flashing/paper painted silver to the front addition just above the small roof that I have already finished.
This will help cover the transition of the 2 roofs meeting there.

I finished off the larger shingled roof and decided that I was also going to glue this roof down to the barn.

I was now ready to begin the corrugated styrene covered workshop roof.
I test fit the workshop roof into place to see how it worked with my added valley flashing.
The overhang on the front of this workshop was a bit large for my tastes, so I cut off this much from it.

I then glued this workshop roof card in place with my valley flashing on top of the roof card.

I thought that since I treated the siding on this workshop as a newer addition to the barn that the corrugated roof would also be a newer looking roof on it as well.
So I painted my corrugated styrene silver, then measured and cut the corrugated panels needed for this roof.I used Walther's Goo to fasten them to my roof card.

I then topped off the corrugated roof using the 2 pieces of .010 x .125 styrene strips painted silver also.
I still need to add the cupola to the roof and also the shingled caps to the larger barn roof.

That's it for now, thanks for having a look!

Greg

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive roof work. I particularly like the way that you've combined the shingle and corrugated roofing materials.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great. I like the color of the shingles in particular.

Mike

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
black works very well, but those poor horses and cows are gonna get mighty hot in the summertime.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Russ, Mike & Kevin, for your nice words about the barn's roofing!

Here's a closer look at the flashing on the small roof & the larger barn roof.
The flashing goes under the shingles on the larger roof and above the shingles on the smaller roof.
Keeping the rain from ever getting in.

Also here's a look at the gooseneck lights lit up over the "Fesmire Farms" sign on the barn.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding job on the roof.

The sign looks great Greg!! Chester would be proud!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.74 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000