Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  12:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill & Frank, for your continued interest & comments!
Frank, that door will eventually get closer to the ground as the bank gets built up around the larger doors beside it.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  5:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I like this stage of construction with that wonderful interior exposed.

I expect the door provides an exit for unexpected visitors such as inspectors or politicians on the campaign trail.

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Very nice. I like this stage of construction with that wonderful interior exposed.

I expect the door provides an exit for unexpected visitors such as inspectors or politicians on the campaign trail.

Mike

Nice, Mike! Like!

Nicely done, Greg! I think Chester would be pleased!

Pete
in Michigan

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  6:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the build looks fantastic. i would have though it would be too soon to have to clean out the manure. seth!? grabbeth thy pitchfork!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Edited by - kebmo on 03/26/2019 6:34:12 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  7:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your posts, Mike, Pete & Kevin.

Mike, I enjoy seeing those glimpses of the barn's interior as well.
I hope it looks even better at night, when the lights are on.

Pete, I think Chester would have appreciated this.

Kevin, the nice thing about this barn, it doesn't need cleaning, it needs dirtying up.

Greg

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  8:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You do such great work. Without reading through the thread again, what size timbers are on the first and second floors? They look thick.

Rich

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  10:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Greg,

You do such great work. Without reading through the thread again, what size timbers are on the first and second floors? They look thick.

Rich

Thanks Rich!
They are 8x8's and 8x6's that are used.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I have started the largest addition on this barn, the workshop/office structure.
This addition would have been added to this barn years after the barn was originally built.
So I'm going to model this addition as such.
The first thing I did to begin this was measure my foundation for this addition.
The Fig.12 floor template measures 3 1/8" x 6 7/8"
So I'm guessing that's what My foundation walls should also reflect.
However this was not quite the case, my foundation walls measured 2 7/8" x 7" inches.

So I needed to adjust my floor template to my foundations dimensions.
The Fig.12 floor template has printed on it 2x6 floor joists being used. Disregard this and use the 6x8 material that the instructions call for instead.
I stained all of the wood for this floor using my "Hunterline" Driftwood stain once again.
Just quickly dipping the wood into the stain to give me a nice light colour representing a newer floor than the main barn floor.
I began to add the 6x8 floor joists over my readjusted template.

I will also need to adjust my walls once I get to building those, to now reflect my changed floor dimensions.
Once I had all of the floor joists in place I began laying down the 2x12 floor boards.

When that was completed I carefully removed this floor from the template, and test fit it on to my foundation.

The instructions tell us not to glue this floor to the foundation just yet.
So I guess I'll start working on the walls for this workshop next.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
excellent!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch on the dimensions!
Looks like a dance floor. Barn Dance tonight at Fesmire Farms? :)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  3:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Kevin & Bill.

Bill, I think this barn's foundation being made up of wood, hydrocal and resin castings can result in slight variations.
So it's always good to check measurements to make certain that what your building fits exactly.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  8:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was wise to check and adjust the floor dimensions. Iím sure youíd have been pretty unhappy with the appearance of the walls if you hadnít.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  3:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

That was wise to check and adjust the floor dimensions. Iím sure youíd have been pretty unhappy with the appearance of the walls if you hadnít.

Mike

Mike, thanks for your continued interest, and for your post!
It's better to check and adjust when needed, than build and find out it doesn't fit.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  4:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, today I begin with the 2 side walls on this workshop/storage addition for this barn.
Here is what the Fig.13B side wall template looks like.(shown below)
On the left side wall you will notice a pencil line drawn on the right side of the template.
This line represents how much I have to remove to make my walls fit on my slightly smaller floor.

So I drew a new template on the backside of the old template, using the new shorter measurements that I needed.

I stained all of the wood needed to build these workshop/storage space walls, 7 pcs. of 8x8 and the 9 pcs. of 6x8 and the 2 pcs. 3x6 with my Hunterline driftwood stain once again
Just dipping them quickly into the stain.
This is supposed to be a newer addition to the barn so I don't want them to look as old as the wood in the barn.

And here is how my 2 side walls came out looking in the end, I change them a little from my new template.

The instructions tell us to build all of these framed sections for this workshop first.
I however have decided to try and make part of the largest wall removable.
So I'm doing a bit of freelancing here from now on for this part of the barn.
The instructions also tell us to apply the 2x10 siding for this workshop horizontally.
I decided to apply my 2x10 siding vertically, like the rest of the barn has.
I coloured the siding with the same colour that I have used on the rest of the barn, but this time instead of applying the paint as I did before this time I used it full strength.
Since this is a newer addition I figure the wood & stain used on it would be newer as well.
I needed to apply the wood siding now because I need those 2 side walls in place to figure out exactly the measurements for the front wall that will be removable.
So I glued the floor down to it's foundation, and then the 2 side walls.

I want to be able to use this barn workshop as Chester did with his barn setup, as a place to photograph trucks & vehicles in the future.

So next I built the gable wall for this shed right over the Fig.13B template provided.
Since I did not have to make any changes to the length of this workshop, I was able to use the templates for this front gable without any changes to it.

I then test fit my completed upper gable wall into place over top of the 2 side walls.

Now with those 3 walls in place I can now figure out the wall section below the gable wall and between the 2 side walls.
That is the section of wall that will be removable when I have figured out the best way to do that.

That's all I have for now, thanks for looking!

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 03/31/2019 4:36:04 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  4:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you're really rocking this build. i can't wait for each update!

are you going to build the house too?

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000