Railroad Line Forums - Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rail Scale Miniatures "Whispering Falls" arrives
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build
Page: of 37

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  3:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well I've finally have a few things done, that I can now share with you.
The instructions tell us how to make bales using cork roadbed cut into various shapes and sizes.

The smaller pieces representing individual bales were cut down to 3/16" x 7/16" and the thickness of the cork roadbed is just right for height.
I also cut larger cork pieces to represent stacked bales gluing those on top of each other.
Once you have all of the shapes that you want to use, you then apply white glue to one side of the shape only. I used a old paint brush to smear the glue onto the cork sides.
I then used this 2mm static grass from Woodland Scenics to now dip the glued cork side into.
I sprinkled the static grass on some wax paper, and pushed the cork down into the static grass.
I let each side dry before I did the next side.
You can repeat this step if necessary to ensure the static grass is fully covering the cork.
I did not apply any glue or grass to the bottoms of each of these piles.

This is how all of mine came out looking after this process was finished.

I then glued these bales onto the barn floor making certain that none of them would interfere with the barn loft posts that still need to be placed in the barn.

The hay lofts will hide most of these bales and make them harder to see.

If you are adding the lighting kit, you will also need to add some of the LED's now before you go any further.
If you recall I previously marked with a fine sharpie marker the spots behind each hay loft post that will have the LED's wires running down the posts and down through the barn floor.
So I drilled those 3 holes behind the posts using a 1/16 drill bit.
The other light that needs to be put in now is the gooseneck light above the double doors in the foundation wall.

I have done a tutorial already about how to wire up these LED's and how to make the gooseneck fixtures for them, located right here with this link.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35486

Ngineering also offers lighting version for this kit, with LED's already prewired and wires all cut to the right lengths that are needed, or you can spend a little less and do them yourself as I am with my kit.

This is how the LED's should look when installed under the 2 hay lofts.
Before I glue these lofts into place.

This is how the lofts looked after I got them glued down into place.

That's it for now.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 03/16/2019 5:05:21 PM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  4:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant believe this is HO scale Greg. Looks phenomenal.

Well done so far my friend.

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  4:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's coming along real nice, Greg.

As you might expect, I ordered a kit once you started working on yours and it arrived earlier this week. I am finishing up a few other projects and gathering my supplies before I start.

I see that the installation of the lighting starts early in the build. I am planning on going to Supertrain in April and I see that Ngineering is one of the vendors, as is Rail Scale Miniatures. I think I will try to pick up the lighting and sound kits when I am there.

Watching intently as you make progress,
Jeff

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  4:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FANTASTIC!! Great job on the barn and bales.
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  5:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes & Jeff, thanks for your very kind words!
Glad to have both of you following along!

Jeff, you should contact Tim before you go to the show.
So that he has time to make up a modified lighting kit for you.
Meaning you don't need some of the stuff that comes with the regular "Whispering Falls" lighting kit.
You don't need another gooseneck bending jig, you don't need another tester, at least I don't think you do.
You can see what the kit has on their website.
www.ngineering.com
Not buying the stuff you already have, saves you a bit on money!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  5:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

FANTASTIC!! Great job on the barn and bales.
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bob

Bob, thanks! I'm glad you like them!

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hay!

I really like this barns design.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  6:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the individual bales of hay the best.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  7:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not even Halloween and were ready for a hay ride!!

Outstanding work Greg.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your posts, Carl, Frank & Jerry.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  10:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Youíve modeled some very effective hay bales. They look very real in the barn.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2019 :  10:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for your comments!
For the little bits that you can see of them through the barn's doors, they do the job just fine.

Greg

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  06:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just terrific, Greg! The hay bales really give the barn a very realistic touch. I can smell it from here.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  08:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

Just terrific, Greg! The hay bales really give the barn a very realistic touch. I can smell it from here.

Russ, thanks for the positive remarks!

Greg

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2019 :  09:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg,

It's been some time since I returned to your build of this beautiful kit and last night, I took the liberty of rereading through all of the steps you did within the build. It's unfortunate that you couldn't be able to make the sidewall removable, and with the addition of the loft supports including the addition of the LED lighting, I can see why. Also, with the addition of the roof trusses it would be really difficult. So, I'm guessing that a portion of the roof can be removable, or not. If one of the side additions were not included on the foundation, then maybe, but also not likely. I like the way this is turning out. You have done an excellent job with this from the beginning, and thanks for all of the explanations and working through the querks found in the plans. That will be a great help to those who may follow in your footsteps. You do such excellent work, and wear shoes that would be hard to fill, sometimes.

Rich

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: 1980 Tom Yorke HO Pool Hall / Bordello Build Topic Next Topic: Foss Landing Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000