Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got the outer brick walls primed with grey primer. That should act as a mortar color when I get the bricks colored later.

Since we are heading south for a few weeks, this will be the last of the progress until we get home the end of February.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  3:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On 01/27/2019, I made the following statement:...
[quote] by Pennman

"When I construct scratchbuilds, I do not make mock-up buildings." [quote]

One of our members has brought some (of his) thoughts to the table regarding the above statement I made on my previous post (p. 6), of which I hope to clarify at this time.

Each and every one of you who builds models, whether a kit or a scratchbuild, have your own way of starting a project to its completion. For myself, I have never made a mock-up building before working on any of my projects. And, if I do make a mistake, I fix it and go on... I don't make a mock up when I build a real structure, so why would I do it on a model, that's pure lunacy! I draw a floor plan, then build it.

For me, this is what works!
This is my "in productive mock-up"....
I plan, build, cut, scrape, glue, sand, look, see, look again, and go on...works every time!

This is the back of the main building in the forground.

This is the front of the main building in the foreground.

And this is looking down upon my "in-productive" mock-up, or whatever you want to call it...as a work in progress mock up?

All I can say in closing...if you like it, say so, if you don't...you know the drill...

Rich

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  7:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, I like it.

When it comes to building I just go with the 'whatever works for me' method.

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 01/29/2019 7:57:20 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

Hey, I like it.

When it comes to building I just go with the 'whatever works for me' method.

Hey Glen, ha ha, I like it too. Thanks for your comments. I like to build as I go, and if I decide to change something, well time spent on building a mock up would have been wasteful.
Just my 2˘....

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you’re tantalizing is by starting your model and then putting it aside for a month. Still, have a nice break from the cold, cold heart of the country.

Rich, it appears you can debate and build at the same time. Looks good.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman
I like to build as I go, and if I decide to change something, well time spent on building a mock up would have been wasteful.

Rich

Rich,

Just think, if you had built a mock up you would have found what didn't work. Then you wouldn't have to rebuild the final building. Sort of a catch 22 the way I see it.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  9:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your continued alliance Michael and your nice comments.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My progress to date:

The white sheet of styrene in back is my jig for the slope sheet supports.

Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following along, though yet to begin my own offering. I did bring together all my Jordan kits into one place; they had been stashed here and there with structure kits. I have selected the old farm wagon, based on the Al Armitage design, as the first vehicle for the team track scene.

Rich - I like the use of the thin interior wall. It is a nice way to get strength into the model to avoid warping and provide an interior surface.

Bruce - those laser cut brick walls are neat.

Glen - scraping away the paint for a two-color scheme...I'm filing that one away for later. Neat trick.

Sorry if I overlooked anyone, hopefully I'll dive in soon enough.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  06:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote] by Galen

"Rich - I like the use of the thin interior wall. It is a nice way to get strength into the model to avoid warping and provide an interior surface."

[quote]

Galen, Thanks. That thin wall won't be thin, as it will have vertical boards applied to it on both sides. It is merely a room divider. It's final placement will come later.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  07:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have nothing to show for today, I'm still working on my entry.

OK, fellas...the topic regarding mock ups was initiated by me, but let's not get off topic. This is a build thread for everyone's models. Posts regarding use or non use of "mock-ups"... let's put that discussion on the back burner. We all need to concentrate on constructing our models in this thread. I don't want that discussion to flood this build thread. Thanks for understanding.

Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  9:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Lots of wonderful builds happening here.
Really enjoying the variety of topics.

I've been having major renovations happening at home for the last 3 weeks, hence my lack of any participation.
That work has finished today, so will be back to the challenge and will have an update this week.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  08:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you tease. Just when you got us hooked you're going to leave us hanging for weeks. I do like to concept of the brick overlay though.

Mike, You're making so good progress.

I made a little progress.

I added the corner posts to some walls and the roof supports in behind the front walls/awning. After this I start assembling walls together.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  08:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you tease. Just when you got us hooked you're going to leave us hanging for weeks. I do like to concept of the brick overlay though.

Mike, You're making so good progress.

I made a little progress.

I added the corner posts to some walls and the roof supports in behind the front walls/awning. After this I start assembling walls together.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  08:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Mike. I hope you are going to show us how your jig works.

George

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000