Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  11:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Good to see this challenge off and running. I've enjoyed the great modelling skills of both Chester and Frederic over the years.

I'll be attempting a scratchbuild for the new peninsula of Tellynott. Below is my sketch of the structure I have chosen to build.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  04:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see this years challenge going ahead, and a fitting tribute to two very fine modelers.

I'll be doing an O scale waterfront structure, and will try to include a weathered vehicle.
More details soon.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Viewing all of the entries so far, I am impressed with those who chose to upload sketches of their projects, just like Frederic' did. I have yet to decide on my project, so I guess It's off to the drafting table..Nice group of projects so far.

Rich

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the sketches are an almost necessary step and very appropriate.

I've decided to build a team track scene with a small office and vehicles, both horse-drawn and horseless. On my railroad the team track siding is located across the street from the passenger station and will be company property, so the structure will resemble the station, a Fallburgh station from Sequoia. I think it will be neat to see a simple shed in such an ornate style. The challenge will be building the windows and fancywork to match, though I could find castings out there.

The vehicles will give opportunity to do as Troels did, and apply the names of our departed friends as signage. Fesmire's will be a vehicle from a carpentry/wagon shop while Testard's may be...who knows. We'll see. Does anyone know what Frederic's favorite foods were?

I've also got all the parts to build a static grass applicator. This scene will include some palms and scrubby grassy areas as well as a pothole/large puddle, full from a recent rainstorm.

Sketches to come.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my sketch of a small waterfront structure. It will sit on a small wharf
Maybe selling bait and fishing accessories. Still to work that out.

Regards Rob

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  7:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's the truck that I'll use.
It's a '48 Ford FI Pickup by Cararama. 1:43 scale.
I want to see if I can remove the back tray to make it a flat bed. Some have modified it this way.

Regards Rob

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great idea for a challenge. I haven't figured out what I could build as a tribute model yet, but I have an idea or two. I'll be following along until then.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  8:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice assortment of tributes so far, I hope we will see many more to come!

I have managed to get my tribute build for Chester started. I've got the walls all glued together and painted & weathered.
Just thought I'd post a couple of pics to let you see how it's coming along.
Changed things a bit, with the separate little stand alone building, decided to attach it to the rest of the structure.
Going to add some lighting now, so that roof is just temporarily placed on for these photos.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  11:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I really like that building, both the architecture and the character.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  12:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well - a little progress. I've been secretly waiting for somebody else to start first. Usually these challenge treads take off at tremendous speed - I usually blink and they're at page 17!

I didn't draw up full plans, but drew up the front wall and chose windows and doors and positioned. I just worked out measurements for the sides from the sketch in the book.

I cut out the walls. The front and back had to be spliced as my siding was not tall enough. I used seconds siding back to front for the side walls. I added a little lean-to at the back (closer inspection of the sketch in the book showed one)

Here I have put painters tape on the back of the siding to help prevent the wood from splitting when cutting out the door and window openings. This was successful!

And here are the two end gable walls after my weathering treatment - Floquil grime followed by dirty mineral spirits followed by leather dye and alcohol. I do this all in quick succession, smearing horizontally with a paper towel.

And finally I added some high tack painters tape to the side walls. This is to give the walls a bit of texture to simulate tar paper siding. The lean-to will be clad in Campbell's corrugated iron.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  07:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Very intuitive on how you arrive at a building. I'm always amazed at how it's done. One question I always have is how do you determine the height of a building and make it look proportional? This has always puzzled me.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  08:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Mark.

For my part, I took stock of my supplies and ordered the stripwood I will need. I also need to draw up more detailed plans. Then I can stop cogitating and start constructing.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic and I had great respect and admiration for each others work and had a trust and honesty in our online/offline conversations through out our many builds.
At that time, years ago I had started a scratch build named for him. It was prob 75% complete.

I will try to get it to 100% through this challenge. We both loved to primarily scratch build so this seems a very apt choice for me.

Here is the initial sketch from way back then.... and also the link to the unfinished build thread.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27977

Karl.A

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  02:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start Greg, Mark and Karl.
Mark, thanks for the hint about the tape when doing do window cutouts. I'll be doing something similar.

Regards Rob

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  02:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've got the walls cutout to their basic shape.
Have done a subwall first to give support.

And used NE Lumber for the weatherboards.
The Tichy windows are just roughly placed for now, to get an idea.

Close up

Regards Rob

Edited by - robert goslin on 01/19/2019 02:38:26 AM

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000