Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Looks like you are progressing at a swift pace. It also appears that you know how to get a roof on. If you don't mind me asking at such a late time in the game, is this HO scale?

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  09:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Your roof looks straight and strong. Nice job on it.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  2:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Rob

It's only make-believe

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2019 :  6:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich, Mike & Robert. Appreciate your kind words. I think I'm progressing well. And still have to do that truck as part of the Chester tribute.

Rich, this is O scale.
I normally model in N scale, and that's what my layout is.
But I do dabble in O scale as well.
Have done a few O scale structures and have a good collection of loco's. Maybe one day, but just not quite ready to go over to the dark side yet.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  11:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although I've slowed down of late, having to take care of home and other matters, I have started the chutes:

Much of my model railroading has been puttine together a clinic for a prototype modelers meet in Pittsburgh is a few weeks.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/06/2019 11:58:32 AM

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  12:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike - Wish I lived closer - I'd happily attend your clinic. Chute, dangit, you do good work.

I'm still here, painting away a little each day on figures. I am using a wet palette and it is working well, though maybe a little too well. Photos to follow later today.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  12:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Galen. Yes, you're quite a distance from here.

I prefer a wet palette over dry, preferable scotch.

Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  2:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I took pictures of the peoples, but I couldn't get any worth sharing. Either the lighting is too low or my camera settings are off somehow, either way the images are either dark, blurry, or both. Ugh.

So here's a picture of my wet palette. I used waxed paper this time, but for the next round I will use parchment. Parchment is recommended and somehow I didn't see it in the drawer when I put together this palette the first time. (gremlins?)

I think the waxed paper let the paint get a little too wet, so hopefully the parchment will keep it wet without unintentionally thinning it. You may be able to tell in this image that some puddles are really wet while others appear to have dried out completely. The foam below is still wet. In case you are not familiar with a wet palette, I keep a lid on the container when not in use.

Galen

Download Attachment: IMG_0576.JPG
59.86 KB

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2019 :  4:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, your use of balsa is fascinating. I've never used it for structure building, but you have me thinking.

George

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  02:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the chutes look great. Again, really nice weathering.

George, thanks for your interest. Yep I use balsa quite a bit on my O scale structures.
For the walls I generally use NE Lumber bass wood, but all the other wood is balsa.
Although I did do one whole building that I did board on board walls. Striped all the balsa myself.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38725&SearchTerms=webbe,barrel,

Regards Rob

Edited by - robert goslin on 03/09/2019 02:08:19 AM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  02:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The corrugated roof panels are on, as is the tar paper (thin card) covering the two side extensions roofs.
Now I can make that corrugated iron nice and rusty.

Regards Rob

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  9:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

With the roof on, it begins to take on a 'Perkins Produce' sort of feel. That's a compliment, btw. ;)

Galen

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  04:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Galen. I'll certainly take that as a compliment, as Perkins is a classic.

Regards Rob

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Rob.

And, thank you for the kind words on my weathering etc.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  6:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The corrugated iron roof is now suitably rusty.
I used the wet pallet technique and a lot of blending. Really happy with it.
The tar-paper roof was done with a couple of shades of grey and then given a black wash for the weathering.
I still need to do some final bird droppings on the roofs, but otherwise I think they're weathered enough.

Close up

Regards Rob

Edited by - robert goslin on 03/10/2019 6:33:04 PM

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000