Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really sharp, excellent work by everybody. But, RICH the pinned posts is an excellent idea.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  10:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and for following along, Rob and Bob.

Rob - Your building is not too shabby. Keep it going. Looks really mice.

I am still continuing on my frustrations with my project, although everyone thinks I'm sluffing it.

I have neen thinking that the builds I have done in the last couple of years have increased in size as well as difficulty. In keeping that thought, here I have undertaken a new avenue. Not only is every successive build a rewarding one when completed, but now I have taken a model that renowned modeler, Chuck Doan, built, and am trying to build it half the size of his. I doubt that I will achieve the extroidinary detailing that his model possesses, but I am willing to give a good shot. Thanks again Chuck, if you are out there, I think I'm getting there.

Most of you probably more than likely paint and weather your tarpaper roofs before applying the material to a roof. I, on the other hand like to do it on occasion, after applying the material. My reason for doing this is I wish to color with various colors that flow from one to another across several panels, and to get that kind of variation across the rows is rather difficult if they are lying separately on your desk. Below are two pictures of the roof in the "raw". Basically I used white, thin tablet paper, similar to what Brett uses in his Sierra West Scale Models kits. After applying the paper, I lightly sanded the fuzz off with an emery board. Just light enough to catch any spare glue spots or dirt. Here they are.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  12:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich your doing a excellent job on this!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work everyone. I was going to post more but work got pretty crazy this past week.
I have managed to finish my gas station/ speed shop. Last week I showed another modeller the pictures of the unfinished model and he bought the structure off me. All I had to do was finish it.

Because it's going to someone else I left some of the signs off and he also didn't want allot of weathering. I am going to keep the racecar model that came with the kit though.

The gas pump decals are paper cutouts. A little tricky to get into their places but they turned out okay.

Now the building and details are boxed up and on their way to their new home.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work from all you fellas.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  10:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, your roof looks good. I think Iím with you with respect to weathering after itís laid down.

Galen, I like seeing the setting for your work.

- Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  11:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich - I like the roofing, but am not familiar with 'tablet paper'. Tablets are electronic screen devices...

Glen - what an unusual turn of events! Here today, gone tomorrow. Gilmore roars out the door!

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks, Mike.

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  12:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got my little folks de-flashed and ready for 'prime time'

Download Attachment: IMG_0466.JPG
37.9 KB

Finally made some wine cork painting stands. I glued the corks to metal washers using epoxy. The figures are stuck to the corks on 'glue dots', little rounds of adhesive gel that come sandwiched between two pieces of slick paper. It is a little tricky to get them stuck to the cork and peel away the second strip, but once you get it started it comes away easily enough.

My wife uses them for her craft projects and suggested them to me. She says they tend to set up after a while, making it harder to remove whatever is stuck to them. I will need to paint these figures sooner than later.

One of the folk pictured above is for the team track and the rest are for the station scene. I have this many more to paint as well but ran out of glue dots and only made 8 cork stands.

I found a wonderful deal on these Preiser figures on eBay. The figures they produced from the 1920s era are RARE and when they do show up, expensive. These were in a bulk lot from a seller in Barcelona, of all places, and didn't cost me an arm and a leg! The tan figures are Model Power, stripped of their original thick paint.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  12:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool group of models being built here.

I completed the two uppers walls for my coal shed and started working on the roof support assemblies; two will become the ends of the shed. Here's everything sort of propped in place:

Here is the jig I'm using to build the roof components along with a completed one:

I will need eleven in total.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  12:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Fine job, fine job indeed.

Wasn't your station intended for your layout? Now you get to build a second one?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  2:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Great looking structure so far. You'll have the roof framed in no time with that handy jig.

Galen

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  3:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. When I first bought the kit I thought is was going to fit in a certain area on my layout but it turned out to be too long. I do plan to build another gas station down the road to replace the building from the DPM Harley and Son's cycle shop kit that's on my layout now.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice garage, Glen. It's easy to see why your friend would want it.

George

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  5:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Jerry, Mike, Carl, Glen and Galen, and anyone else I may have missed.

Here's a tip for your file box - should you wish to file it. I'm a packrat when it comes to saving useful or not so useful items, you never know what their use is until you need something handmade. When I use up any windows that come on sprues, I don't throw the sprues away. I have used them to make various details, like piping, and stove pipes, etc. I need a longer stove pipe for this:

So, I cut off the length I need and slice all the unwanted nibs from the "pipe" with my exacto knife, sand it smooth, and it's ready for paint.

Here's my handmade extended stove pipe, freshly painted waiting for final weathering and what it was made from at the top in picture. Works for me, and you too.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/24/2019 :  5:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that was clever!!

Now you just need to build how many buildings with stove pipes!!
Just pulling your chain!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000