Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  03:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another small update.
I've added the other side extension, and again had to make up another window frame from styrene angle. This window is an awning type.

I think I can start painting the walls now.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Good job all around. The side extensions add a lot of architectural interest.

Mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  9:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments and following along, Karl, Mark, Mike and Rob,

Karl - After poking around in my area of the house, I came up with some matt board, and a few tablets of watercolor paper, that is more on the thicker side than thin papers. I may try that, but will look to get some taskboard. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mark - Great work on the flashing and aluminum panels. What glue are you using for the panels? I know Karl O. has used philibond glue with great success, but what brand do you use? I have tried Ca, and superglue, but want it to stay put. Thanks

Back to my project...

I started making the small roof for the front of the station. I might call it a portico per say. While searching for signs a couple days ago, I ran across a thread tip by our own tip master Greg Shinnie. Thanks Greg, I'm giving you positive feedback for the use of your great tip.

On most occasions, whereby you need to glue two wood pieces together at right angles, I would normally have merely glued them together. However, if you handle objects as much as I do, they have a tendency to come apart. Greg drilled holes in the underside of his roof and into the tops of the posts, inserted a "pin" (wire), and then glued them together, making a strong joint. I couldn't remember where I saw Greg's picture or the thread, but I did document my steps. Common sense really.

Here I glued and inserted wire into the ends of my posts, and also drilled into the base block to accept the wire pins..

Here I drilled receiving holes into the underside of the roof to accept the wire pins from the top of the posts.

Pins are inserted into the underside of the roof.

Here, I have added two non-working lamps for the portico. It will be rather difficult to string live wire to such a small area. And, thanks this is not TT scale, right Bernd?

So, put together, I am happy with the results.

Thanks for looking.

Rich

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice roof work, Mark ad Rich. That's good info on attaching the posts, Rich.

I like the open awning window, Rob. It will add life to your structure.

Georgr

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  09:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

TT scale is just at tad smaller so you need to make smaller things. Still a pain though.

I've used the method you described on some of my projects, works great. I usually use pins as they are smaller in diameter.

That portico does look pretty fragile. Nice job.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like the pinned post concept. Much better than trusting just glue yo hold it together.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  09:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, nice work on your portico.
It looks great!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments and following along,
George, Bernd, Dave and Greg.
My next "project" is to decide on what type of roofing, a few signs, weather the paint, work on details, etc. I will post again in a couple of days. I have some 1:1 work to do to keep an equal balance... and alive!

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

I see you donít pin your hopes on glue alone holding the posts in place.

Good job. Both strong and good looking.

Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still here...following along and wishing it were warmer. Tomorrow I hope to prime parts, including the wagon and horses and several figures.

I feel bad for my lack of participation, but in addition to the cool temps in my painting area, I am once again a full time student. This is in addition to my regular household duties (chief cook and bottle washer) plus a new commitment to serve a local congregation a few times a month. Life is good but modeling time has been squeezed. I will do my best to complete a scene that pays tribute to Frederic's and Chester's modeling and the inspiration it provided to me and so many.

That said, regardless of whether or not I complete the challenge by the deadline, or whether or not anyone does so, matters less to me than the camaraderie I enjoy as part of the challenge and the motivation I find sharing in it. I appreciate these challenges and happily participate in them if I feel I can give back a little of the camaraderie and encouragement I have received.

There is still time - if you are reading this, and you are thinking about jumping in, I encourage you to do so!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  10:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind words Mike and the pun.

Galen,

We hear ya loud and clear. No worries, just knowing you began a project is a fond remembrance in itself. We know your heart is in it. If you don't finish on time, do it later. It's the thought that counts. I just wish there were more thinkers...

Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  12:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, thanks for your comment. Yep, just a small, but interesting detail having a different window.

Rich, i really like the portico. The pins will certainly give it that extra support. Good idea and nice tip from Greg.

David, I'm looking forward to seeing how you go with your turntable. Using the Atlas one as a base will certainly make it easier.

Regards Rob

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  01:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another update. The building finally has paint. Adding colour, I think really changes the appearance.
I mixed up my own pale blue colour using craft paints. Brushed on, but not perfect, that way it looks faded & weathered, and then toned it down and weathered some more it using an A/I wash. Further rust stains etc will happen later on as well.
A few loose boards add character, without making it look too decrepit.

For the side and rear sections I wanted a bit of variety to the repair job . When the building was damaged in a storm and fire, Charlie Allnut found some old 2nd hand timbers, "laying around", so used those for the repair. One day he might get around to repainting the whole building.

The windows are not weathered or fixed in place yet.

Regards Rob

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  10:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

That is a good blue you mixed up. And the different colors on the simulated repair make sense and add a little history.

Mike

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2019 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While it may be too cool to paint, I can still move ahead on other fronts, like laying out the spacing for the team track area. To do this I needed to mark the location for the streets on the benchwork surface. Using a large square, I drew in the streets and sidewalks.

Here is an overview of the station and beyond it, the team track:

Download Attachment: IMG_0454.JPG
51.92 KB

And a closer view of the team track itself with a stand-in shed:

Download Attachment: IMG_0455.JPG
49.23 KB

Note the steam engine, the first locomotive to wear the Ocali Creek lettering. This is the IHC-Mehano Mogul I rebuilt over the course of last year. Still needs a coal load, weathering, and a few minor details like the bell pull and whistle cord. The express reefer is a story for another time, and the combine is in need of repair...likewise another story...

And here is the area with streets and sidewalks penciled-in:

Download Attachment: IMG_0459.JPG
51.57 KB

The pencil lines are a bit faint in the picture but will suffice. I can now make a sketch of the structure to replace the stand-in shed. It will resemble the station in roof-line and door/window detail.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000