Railroad Line Forums - 2019 Tribute Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 2019 Tribute Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver
Page: of 29

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  9:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone.

I spent today working on the roof, again.

The kit includes some rolled roofing material that is peach in color. Not sure why that is. I cut it into 1/2" strips and glued it down the to roof panels. The square tarpaper pieces are fore doing the roof peak. I then added some 3/16" basswood reinforcement to the backsides to keep warpage to a minimum (still warped a bit though) The other strange thing is that they wanted me to paint the roof over the office/pumb black and draw the tarpaper seams on, while the garage has the tarpaper applied. As it turns out I had enough material to do the office roof as well. I later sprayed all the roof parts in flat black and they're glued and clamped onto the structure.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2019 :  11:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Looks good, waiting for the next step.
I like to make my own tarpaper, and none of my buildings have had the same materials applied.
I'm still searching for a better method all the time.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  5:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking of something lately that I just can't get off my chest. I may be shot down for elaborating, but I have to speak my mind here.
I would like to congratulate the eight members, including myself, who are building models to honor Frederic' and Chester. Eleven members out of 8,796 members have committed to build models in the challenge, and only eight of those are actually building something? I just don't get it! I would be embarrassed, especially to members of the departed's families, (if they are monitoring this build thread), to say I was a member of this forum.
There are twenty seven members who have posted to the challenge so far, out of all those 8,796 members, and this challenge also has over 4,000 reads. I have taken time from my own personal duties at home to build my model, as probably the rest, (who are building), have taken time away from working on their layouts for the challenge. So, where are the rest of the members? Where are your models? Come on fellas, you could at least weather a board, write their name on it, throw it into a truck or gondola on your layout, and honor them that way. That is so much better...than nothing. Just sayin...

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  6:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, I was thinking the same thing myself.
However we should try to focus on the positive aspects of this challenge.
Paying tribute to our departed modelling friends, Frederic & Chester, even if it is only 8 of us.
The grateful 8

Greg Shinnie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  6:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly. If you focus on non-participants, nothing gets done. I have the same problem at work. Everyone says "We should do...." but when the rubber meets the road... tumbleweeds.

Press on. Make it look exciting. That's how people are encouraged to participate.

Personally, I have a ton of projects going on and near zero bandwidth to do it. Hopefully some of it will see the light of day around summer time.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  7:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well written Rich!!

Hopefully a lot more members that are doing nothing but lurking will start something.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  02:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich. Yep using the pounce wheel isn't really precise with the nail hole locations, but I'm going more for effect, than accuracy.
I think paint will fill most of the holes anyway.
I've even heard some in the past refer to them as the scatter gun effect. Had a laugh at that.

Glenn, the signs look great. I think signs always bring these structures to life.

Galen, did the horses come with the Jordan kit ? The castings look really sharp.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  02:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich. I understand your frustration about the lack of participation in this years challenge. But if people aren't willing to participate not much we can do about it.
Overall lack of interest in the forum, in general has been waning for at least 18 months now.
All I can say is I'm really enjoying participating this year, and am glad to be in such fine company.
and as Dad's Army would say:-

Regards Rob

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  03:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well have finally got the structure all together.
Now all the fiddly detail bits,and side additions begin.

Also have to work out whether to paint a colour or do weathered bare timber. ? ?

Regards Rob

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  08:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not everyone's life is giving them all time to do the things they'd like to do. I am one of those people. I had good intentions to participate, but time and health have not been on my side. Priorities rule the day.

When the time is right , I will still use Frederick's open sided turn table as inspiration for my build. It just won't happen within the limits of the contest time line.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 02/13/2019 08:01:43 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Itís looking good. You added a nice variation in siding.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good, guys.

Rich - I really like your white washed interior walls.

Galen - looking forward to seeing those horses painted up.

Rob - I agree the change in cladding looks good.

No photos from me - but I did get back to this challenge today.

Cheers, Mark.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Chris, Jerry and Rob, ...thanks for responding.Jeez..if I offended anyone...sorry!
It's mind over matter, anyway..

Thanks Mark for your comment and for following along.

I have begun to add the trim from the back to the front.

Here's one shot of the freshly touched-up interior. I have added a tire rack in the far corner. The remainder of interior details can be added as I proceed to completion, as I go.
The building is only half-glued together at this point.

A picture of the front faÁade.

Thanks for following my construction.

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  10:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I see you are ready for paint. With the varied boards you have used, you mentioned bare wood or paint. Perhaps you could do both, it would make for an interesting structure, just a thought. Nice work.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  11:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich really like the paint. Your doing a great job!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: Tenement Row by Smallshaw Topic Next Topic: O scale Life Preserver  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000