Railroad Line Forums - Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Stationmaster665 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 4

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks really cool so far. can't wait to see the end result. i've always really enjoyed building bar mills kits.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Itís going to look so nice!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2019 :  09:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, looks like your doing a wonderful job on this.
Keep up the good work!

Greg Shinnie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I finished up the structure yesterday.

I assembled the office walls first and added the roof. The kit comes with a sheet of peel and stick rolled roofing. I added it to the office and canopy roof panels and then spray painted them in a flat black.

The canopy went together with some tab and slot assembly.

The Canopy has a top roof and a bottom roof/ceiling. I painted the ceiling white and glued it in first, then the roof.

After that it was only a matter of gluing the canopy to the office and calling it done for now.

The kit comes with metal casting of the vintage gas pumps but I have some slightly newer style pumps on order so until then This project is done.
If the meantime

I'm going to build 'Magees Tire Repair' as part of this build.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  09:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking gas station Glen. Magees is another great little kit, I built one and made it into a horse ranch tack shop. You'll enjoy building this kit as well.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  09:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a fine looking gas station, Glen.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Glen. I like the contrast between the elaborate canopy and the small office.

Iím looking forward to watching Magees join the gas station.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  4:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, the gas station turned out well, and Magees shop should help the proprietor out as there isn't much room at the station for the repairs advertised. :)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, your little Shady Grove gas station looks sweet!
This newest structure addition, now makes this an old time double feature!
Pass me the popcorn.

Greg Shinnie

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  8:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work! The Magees is a great idea-- the gas station looks like the service bays are missing and that should round it out nicely.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  9:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. I really did think that these will go well together. My thoughts were that the gas station was recently built and then they acquired Magees after.

The contents of the kit. Pretty basic, walls, roof material. wood doors and plastic windows.

Because its an older building it will be weathered a bit more extensively. I started by staining all the wood parts with an india ink/ alcohol solution. When that dries I'll add some color.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Glen, it's looking great. Nice color choices.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  10:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  10:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I added the color to the walls and corner posts today

Instead of paint I used pastel chalk for the reddish-orange I wanted. It lets the gray stained wood show through like worn paint. I just scribed it on with a stiff paintbrush and then sprayed it all with dulcoat to set.

Because the building is being renovated by the gas station I figured that the original signs would be removed. I made some masks by cutting out the signs on the sheet provided and scrubbed some extra chalk where the sign were to show the area would have been protected from the elements so the paint would be in better shape there.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2019 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Very fine job with the pastels. I like the implied history created by the pattern of ďpaint.Ē

Mike

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: builders in scale/c.c.crow Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000