Railroad Line Forums - Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Hon3 turnouts, questions looking for assistance
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  

Jerry Martin
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  5:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, question concerning turnouts for Hon3, I see insulfrogs by Peco and would like to know if anyone is using them? I also note on Micro Scale that they say their turnouts are DCC friendly?
I am planning a Hon3 layout and would like to know if anyone could give some insight as to which turnouts need the least as far as modification. My last layout I used a wire to heat every frog and gapped my rails but would like simple , ie no extra wiring if I can get away with it. Would like to spend less time under the layout.
Any suggestions information would be greatly appreciated....Jerry

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  8:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still a newbie and haven't started wiring yet, but I've been building my turnouts using fastracks jigs. Really easy and you can make as many as you need.

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2018 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

You can have easy or good conductivity, but not both. Insulated frogs prevent creating an electrical path between the + and - rail when the turnout is thrown. If the frog is not insulated then a gap has to be cut into one of the rails and the frog powered separately. You don't have to power the frog if the engines you plan to run will be long enough to span the dead portion of the turnout and still have drivers on the "hot" rail for electrical pickup, but you'll still probably have some stalling issues over the frogs.

Scott

If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Usually, smaller, lighter equipment has more trouble with wheel/rail contact. This is exacerbated by few wheels (like 4-wheel critters) or when not all the wheels actually pick up power (almost all brass steam, many plastic steamers' leading and trailing trucks etc.). So for HOn3, I'd almost certainly power all frogs, ensure the points are fed too, etc. Power routing turnouts can be difficult for visiting operators with no experience on when to line which turnouts, but so can locos stalling at the flutter of a butterfly's wing.

Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: HOn3 and HOn30 Lounge  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000