Railroad Line Forums - Turnout/Track Compatibility
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Turnout/Track Compatibility
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The C&D Railroad - Pacific Division Topic Next Topic: Scenery  

clapper
New Hire

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are Central Valley code 70 turnouts compatible with Micro Engineering code 70 flex-track? Specifically, is the thickness of the ties the same so that the tops of the rails are on the same level?

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  9:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck,

If you are using rail joiners, the tops should be even. Code 70 rail is .070" tall. Any possible minor offset would be at the bottom and could easily be resolved while ballasting, right? Welcome aboard again, Glad to be your 'first contact' (an old Amateur Radio honor).

Jim

clapper
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  12:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Well, whadaya know! A fellow "ham" who also loves model railroading (or vice versa)! I'm W9BVG, fairly recently transplanted from MD where I was K3BVG. I do spend more time "railroading" than "radioing", at least partly because I need to make adjustments to my sideband generator (and me without an oscilloscope to do it).

Anyway...I have ME flex track, but no turnouts yet, and would like to try the CV turnout kits. It would, of course, be possible to make small adjustments with ballast, but with several turnouts needed for my layout it would be easier if the ties were the same height.

Hey, once I get my station (radio, that is) squared away, we could try a QSO

clapper
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  12:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

(whoops....must have hit a "transmit" key inadvertantly!)

....we could try a QSO on 80 if you operate on that band. That might be doable if we're not far from each other (I'm west of Chicago in St. Charles, IL).

-Chuck

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  08:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard the forum Chuck I'm not into radio's but just wanted to say hello !
This is a great site with a wealth of knowledge the men are great group of people as you will find out

Happy Modeling

Mark

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
_. _ . _ _. _ _._. _ _._ ._ _ . ._.. _._. _ _ _ _ _ . had this spaced out in the posting form, but it squeezed it...... CQ CQ WELCOME....

Ex KN8??? (Circa 1965, Dad was WA8GEX in the same era)

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 12/13/2018 11:07:50 AM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clapper

Anyway...I have ME flex track, but no turnouts yet, and would like to try the CV turnout kits. It would, of course, be possible to make small adjustments with ballast, but with several turnouts needed for my layout it would be easier if the ties were the same height.

FYI I use ME rail with Fast Tracks jigs to make my turnouts, that might be a direction to look. I do my track in C-100, but FT makes C-70 jigs, too. Just another log in the fire...

Thin roadbed shims or sanding ties as well as ballast could make height adjustments.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 12/13/2018 11:16:06 AM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  11:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ME flex track lined up just fine with Fastrax tie strips. I wouldn’t think you would have any issues with any commercial turnouts now on the market .

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

clapper
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for further welcome to the forum and for input re turnout/flex track height compatibility.

Karl...sounds like your dad may have gotten into ham radio roughly when I did. I got my novice license in '57, then my general in '59.

Another question for this forum construction sub-group: I've had a phone call into Caboose Industries (CI), but have yet to hear from them. I'd like to know if their #204S high switch stand could be used with Central Valley's code 70 turnouts. CI addresses compatibility with other turnout manufacturers, but not CV.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  8:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are minor differences in rail cross section between manufacturers, which manifests as 'joiner X does not go easily onto rail Y' or 'joiner X is loose on rail Y'. Nothing that can't be fixed with one careful tweak with pliers or flat-blade screwdriver. Differences in tie height are on scales that can be fixed with strips of various weights of paper.

Previous Topic: The C&D Railroad - Pacific Division Topic Next Topic: Scenery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000