Railroad Line Forums - 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Vehicles for the Lake Shore Industrial RR Topic Next Topic: tow truck
Page: of 10

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, Itís great when you chine in. But it was no fluke that I corrected the doors. Thatís a good question about the holes on the right side. The odd thing is when I order parts from Blue Jacket they refer to portholes as ďairportsĒ.
I have to go to Michaelís of Jo Ann Fabrics to get Krylon paint. The local big box stores only carry Rust-Oleum. I get my 40% off though. Krylon used to have camo colors but I canít find them anymore.

Mike thanks, I also corrected the steps at the pilot house door. They had them aligned with the deck also.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Tru-Value hardware stores and Walmart carry Krylon paints around here. You're right otherwise can't find it most places anymore.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  11:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Jerry, KISS is not one of my terms.

A hug would be good enough!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  4:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, next time.

Jerry, everybody needs a hug sometime.

Dave re-made the portholes for me. I made them larger, 1/16Ē for the base and 1/32Ē for the raised ring. Nice guy that Dave.

When I assemble them I slip them over the end of a drill bit to center the hole.

Hereís the look Iím going for, black hull, red superstructure and white cabin tops.

I painted the tug with the Lake Shore Towing colors. The portholes and pilot house windows need to be painted and installed. Iím looking for a distinguished stack color scheme.

I ordered a box of 100 1:48 scale tires from Die-Cast Direct. I used 4 on the tug and weíll use the others in the junk yard.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good Frank.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  9:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank'..Nice progress again'..You have taken a rather inferior model and turned into another "Masterpiece" . Now just don't forget the required lighting for this tug'...

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  11:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Frank. What are those tires made of?? They look like real rubber!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl.

Ted, here we go with the lighting again. Iíll see what I can do. Iíll go to Michaelís and look at the clear plastic/glass beads.

Jerry, yup rubber tires.

Pete asked about detailing the interior of the Pilot House. There is too much bracing inside and I didnít feel like scratchbuilding a new one.

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2018 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank has done the ultimate kit bashing here. By the time he finishes this, it will have ten times the detail of the original model.

Jim

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  07:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Looking good! would a head-on photo of pilot house interior (yeah, like where would you find that!?) work if mounted on the inside of the windows?
Baggywrinkle on the bow?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 09/20/2018 07:27:43 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  11:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, She's looking so good. I've learning so much about building vessels from your builds like the proper alignment of the doors. In the future I will be building three vessels for Coos Bay and will be using this information so don't do anything wrong .

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. Itís weird you posed a question 4 or 5 months ago if an O-Scale switching would be possible to build. Look what that simple question spawned.

Bill, thanks. I perused the net for internet for tugboat interior images and there is a boat load. Unfortunately they are from inside looking out, not the reverse.

Trust me Bob. If Iíve ever lead you astray, believe me.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The portholes, pilot house doors and windows are on. It turns out the so-called decals were actually stickers. I cut them out as close as possible and used them as the black in the windows. I painted some blue tape different colors as a test and the black look the best. I wish I would have been able to use clear windows but due to construction methods I had to stay with black-out windows.

I modified the stack exhausts from the ones provided in the kit to scratchbuilt ones. The kit provided you with those tiny eyelets sitting on the skylight roof. POOR.

I made mine from brass tubing, cut at an angle and soldered back together. I installed them at an angle per the prototypes I saw online.

Iím working with Jim to come up with a stack logo design. Iím leaning toward this one. I ďborrowedĒ the ďIĒ from a Bessemer and Lake Erie RR logo.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/20/2018 5:17:26 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  3:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool build Frank, know the perfect place for it...lol

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  10:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

I like the boat and logo, although I think the letters and rail should be larger.

Nevertheless, very classy design.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Vehicles for the Lake Shore Industrial RR Topic Next Topic: tow truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000