Railroad Line Forums - 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 74' ST Army Tug by Dumas
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Vehicles for the Lake Shore Industrial RR Topic Next Topic: tow truck
Page: of 10

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
74í Army ST Tug by Dumas

First off ďSTĒ is Army designation for Small Tug as opposed to ďLTĒ. Oh BTW, itís a 74í model that scales out in O-Scale to . . . 74í. Ainít she sweet.

Iím making it for the carfloat on our Lake Shore Industrial layout. Now you must realize the float only holds 4 cars and not the usual 14 cars so the tug may appear larger than it really is. Hereís the plans up against the carfloat for comparison.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  7:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must say thereís a ton of instructions, reference drawings and a set of 1:1 plans. Certainly well documented.

I having a hull of a day. I found it easier to draw a line around at the cut-line to keep me on course. Itís much easier than free handing it. One side done and one to go. A slip of the knife here and Iíd be sunk before I got started.

After the dry fit I poured a bead of CA into the hull seams. The prescribed method was to use clamps during the alignment phase. Worked out great.

Then I added the deck support beam.

The deck and the fantail have been installed. Moving right along. I hope you donít mind but Iím not going to get into all that minute assembly detail since 99% of you will never attempt one of these unless you switch to RC boats.

The fantail was a small project in itself. Itís made from .060 x .125 styrene strips spaced .060 apart.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/05/2018 7:32:53 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  8:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell I thought you'd be done by now!!

Anyway that's a nice looking tug and your off to your usual excellent start!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  8:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Can we see the box it came in?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  09:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, Iím faster than you but not that fast.

Thanks Carl, sure can. I'm not impressed with the windows and portholes, they're decals. Yikes! I'll be searching the WWW for castings, at the very least we'll laser cut some.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/06/2018 09:41:17 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  11:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank I'm just slow period!!

Guess you'll be busy now that you have two threads to answer to???

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 09/06/2018 11:10:01 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good start, Frank. Kind of cheap of Dumas to use decals for details like portholes and windows! You'll have to send them a stern comment about that. Maybe other ship modelers will chine in with similar critiques and the company will tumblehome to make up for their error or risk getting keelhauled. But when all is said and done I'm sure you'll be able to take a big bow when you complete your magic on the model. ([Had to toss in a double ration on this reply since there weren't any puns on the other thread :) ]

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  7:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry.

Bill you sailed through that reply quite nicely.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2018 :  9:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Frank, add another S to Dumas and that's what you get...decals for windows/port holes...
what were they thinking...But makes sense if a motor is added and it is placed in water...NO Leaks.. wanted..

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
decals for windows/port holes...what were they thinking...But makes sense if a motor is added and it is placed in water...NO Leaks.. wanted.. Ted
I was thinking that too, but then why a two piece hull with a long seam down the middle!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  10:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted and Bill, no matter how water tight you make the hull it still comes down to poking a hole in it for the propeller shaft. And those are prone to leak even if you jam it full of grease.

They recommend running a bead of ďSIG-MENTĒ along the inside seam. Whatever sig-ment is. On the outside there is a 1/8 x 1/4 strip of 3mm PVC to add strength, seal and act as a keel. But I would never sand off the hull tabs completely.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
following along with interest.It well be interesting to see this float on resin.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  2:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BILGE WATER, Frank!! You can take your propeller shaft and stuff it :} [For landlubbers that's not what it sounds like]

Seriously though, if the model were being built to float on water maybe the Dumas thinking behind the decals was 'the fewer the holes in the boat the better'.
Sig-ment is a solvent based cement, so a bead of it along the inside of the hull seam makes sense to 'weld' the halves together and reduce potential leaks if the tug were really going to float on water.
Is there a flat "floor" in the ghost tug where the hull is cut along the waterline? That might help prevent the sides of the hull from flexing and perhaps cracking when the tug gets moved around for photos or cleaning & maintenance.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  3:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, floating on resin, hum. That will be nice to see.

Bill donít go overboard on me, steady as she goes man. The inside of the pilot house is all framework and bulkheads so there wouldnít be much to see anyway.

Iíve installed the bulwarks. The hull is fairly sturdy at this point being only .040Ē thick. If this were going to be an RC model this would help keep water out of the hull keeping the electronics dry.

But since itís not Iím only adding them to aid in the deck house location. Because Iíll be diverging from the hull construction at this point. Iím going to fill the hull with either expanding Gorilla glue or expanding insulation foam. I am cutting it off at the waterline and I want something to support that .040 thick styrene hull.

The next phase I worked on was building the deck house. Itís all pretty simple slot Ė tab etc. as you can see Iíve already finished the pilot house.

As I did on the hull I marked the cut-line for the pilot house roof.

The deck house has been covered in 1mm PVC. All these parts are die-cut and do require some sanding and filing to fit properly.

The superstructure is in place on the hull. Iíve added the caprails and rub rails. The lower one is a little short because Iím cutting this model off at the waterline. It looks like Iíll have more sanding to fit the flat bottomed pilot house on the curved deck house roof.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/07/2018 6:55:01 PM

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awesome. i would never be able to muster the patience to do that.

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  10:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, $135.00 on the Dumas site is pretty hefty for 1/48 scale model boat. Before you cut the bottom off, see if it will indeed float just for the hell of it'... Bill and I are now curios....

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Vehicles for the Lake Shore Industrial RR Topic Next Topic: tow truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000