Railroad Line Forums - ET&WNC passenger car track radius info request.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 248 ]  [ Total: 249 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 ET&WNC passenger car track radius info request.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Apache Wells II - My Verne Niner Tribute Topic Next Topic: Labor Day Fun
Page: of 2

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/02/2018 :  8:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am looking for some advice about On30 passenger cars. In the future I hope to construct an On30 layout based on the 1922 ET &WNC prototype. They had some large and beautiful passenger cars in this profitable era of the RR. This is a model of a 46 foot passenger car I would like to build.



I can not get any info on what radius curves in On30 this car can handle without derailing or looking ridiculous. The 4-6-0 locomotives appear to be OK with 22-24 curves but the long passenger cars I am a bit worried about.

Any sage advice you guys can give GREATLY appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Doc Tom

Country: USA | Posts: 673

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  11:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW I have one short section of 18" radius on my mainline. Bachmann coaches will go around ok. But any slack and they will uncouple. It works for me but they look a bit silly.

I so I guess a longer coach on a larger radius would equate to about the same.

bruce



Country: Australia | Posts: 491 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this information; http://www.npcrr.net/On30/On30Loco_n_Car_Radius_pics.pdf


Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast
Post count: 5000 posts added to below count.

Country: USA | Posts: 16010 Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Drop a note to Deerfield and ask them what radius their kits will negotiate. They have them built at all the shows they attend.
http://deerfieldriverlaser.com/TweetsieCarsSides.html
Also I have all three of the Bachmann ET&WC locomotives with sound that I would like to sell off. PM me if you are interested in them.

Larry



Edited by - BigLars on 09/03/2018 11:46:31 AM

Country: USA | Posts: 11711 Go to Top of Page

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

I can not get any info on what radius curves in On30 this car can handle without derailing or looking ridiculous.



That is two separate issues. Cars will safely navigate curves that are too tight to look realistic.

What looks good is a matter of personal taste. So experimenting with a 46 inch car on a 24" curved track is the only sure way to find out if it looks good to you.


Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Country: USA | Posts: 463 Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  12:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice combin, great work.

Mark


W,L,&E

Country: USA | Posts: 6444 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Take a look at this information; http://www.npcrr.net/On30/On30Loco_n_Car_Radius_pics.pdf





Thank you. Very helpful and a definite saved document for future use.

Doc Tom



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Tom,

Drop a note to Deerfield and ask them what radius their kits will negotiate. They have them built at all the shows they attend.
http://deerfieldriverlaser.com/TweetsieCarsSides.html
Also I have all three of the Bachmann ET&WC locomotives with sound that I would like to sell off. PM me if you are interested in them.

Larry




Very good advice. I will be contacting them as they make the kits. Doc Tom.

PM sent re: the lokies.



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rca2

quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

I can not get any info on what radius curves in On30 this car can handle without derailing or looking ridiculous.



That is two separate issues. Cars will safely navigate curves that are too tight to look realistic.

What looks good is a matter of personal taste. So experimenting with a 46 inch car on a 24" curved track is the only sure way to find out if it looks good to you.




Good advice. I am thinking build the passenger car and test it out on various radii with temporary flex track.

Tom



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet

FWIW I have one short section of 18" radius on my mainline. Bachmann coaches will go around ok. But any slack and they will uncouple. It works for me but they look a bit silly.

I so I guess a longer coach on a larger radius would equate to about the same.

bruce




Thanks Bruce. The B.mann coach is the basis of the kit build. Although lengthened significantly.

Tom



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

That is a nice combin, great work.

Mark




Thanks for the nod Mark........but I didn't build it. It is a photo from and eBay advertisement for a kit. Agree it is an interesting creation. Tom



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member


Posted - 09/03/2018 :  5:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Tom,

Drop a note to Deerfield and ask them what radius their kits will negotiate. They have them built at all the shows they attend.
http://deerfieldriverlaser.com/TweetsieCarsSides.html
Also I have all three of the Bachmann ET&WC locomotives with sound that I would like to sell off. PM me if you are interested in them.

Larry




Very good advice. I will be contacting them as they make the kits. Doc Tom.

PM sent re: the lokies.



I did not get a message. Sent you one to see if the PM service is working.



Country: USA | Posts: 11711 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  6:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Tom,

Drop a note to Deerfield and ask them what radius their kits will negotiate. They have them built at all the shows they attend.
http://deerfieldriverlaser.com/TweetsieCarsSides.html
Also I have all three of the Bachmann ET&WC locomotives with sound that I would like to sell off. PM me if you are interested in them.

Larry




Very good advice. I will be contacting them as they make the kits. Doc Tom.

PM sent re: the lokies.



I did not get a message. Sent you one to see if the PM service is working.




Hi Larry,
I did not get the message. Sounds like it is not working. Maybe an admin can help???

Tom



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Grabnet
Crew Chief



Posted - 09/03/2018 :  6:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:
Originally posted by Grabnet

quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Tom,

Drop a note to Deerfield and ask them what radius their kits will negotiate. They have them built at all the shows they attend.
http://deerfieldriverlaser.com/TweetsieCarsSides.html
Also I have all three of the Bachmann ET&WC locomotives with sound that I would like to sell off. PM me if you are interested in them.

Larry




Very good advice. I will be contacting them as they make the kits. Doc Tom.

PM sent re: the lokies.



I did not get a message. Sent you one to see if the PM service is working.




Hi Larry,
I did not get the message. Sounds like it is not working. Maybe an admin can help???

Tom



NOW I GOT THE PM AND RESPONSE SENT. THANKS. TOM



Country: USA | Posts: 673 Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make a couple of plywood floors the size of the car add trucks and couplers and try it on flex track curves. From my On3 days 36" curves will be fine and 30" will work. When you build the layout add easements equivalent to #5 or #6 turnout. Superelevation of 3/32" or 1/8" will help too.

Bill Uffelman



Country: USA | Posts: 1105 Go to Top of Page

Norton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doc Tom,

Here's a thought for you. Do you have any 50' On30 equipment now? If so, it will be only 4 scale feet longer than this car and would be a good gauge for your radius. If a 50 footer looks good, a 46 will be fine to my mind.

Empirical decision making makes for the best results.

JMHO,


The V & T lives in my garage. Soon...

Norton

Country: USA | Posts: 190 Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Apache Wells II - My Verne Niner Tribute Topic Next Topic: Labor Day Fun  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000