Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: June '18 "Rolling Stock"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: June '18 "Rolling Stock"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Lets see some of your Non-RR Photos!  Pt 2 Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: May 18 Show Us The Details
Page: of 6

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  08:25:04 AM  Show Profile
The June Gallery is devoted to those cars that ride the rails. Either model or prototype photos are welcome, so post away!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile
An upgraded Ahtearn Blue Box Erie Gondola.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Many years ago Roundhouse offered a Hawaiian refer that is no longer available. (first picture) So I took an Accurail refer kit, and after some computer work of the Hawaiian logo, and printing a decal for myself, I made my own refer car. (second picture)

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Last year, I bought an IHC/Rivarossi wedge snowplow in my travels. I don't know why, but snowplows are my favorite cars. This model has good bones, but too look good, I removed molded on details and added my own.

The Plow:
I added Tichy grab irons to the bulkhead of the snow plow. I also added guy wires and turnbuckles to support the cantilevered plow. They also help disguise the "claws" that hold attach the plow to the gondola. I added Tichy rivet plates and a support for the plow blades. And, I added a piece of channel and NBW's between the two claws, to also help disguise it.

Gondola:
I removed all of the cast on detail. The grab irons, stirrup steps, brake details on the underside, and the brake wheel housing. All of the brake details, including the housing, had a very low profile. Plus, they looked like crap.

So, I added Tichy grab irons, A-Line stirrup steps, a brake wheel housing I had in the parts box, a Kadee brake wheel, and Accurail brake details for the underside. I also added a coupler cut lever.

The concrete "load" was included in the model as a one piece casting. The load extended above the sides of the gondola, which didn't look right to me. So, I sanded it down to be below the "claws" of the plow. It also had lift rings and tie downs as molded-on details. Plus, there were relief lines to indicate four separate concrete blocks. I removed the molded-on details and cut the casting into four parts. I added lift rings from Detail Associates.

The trucks were also replaced and a Kadee coupler was added.

Here are a few views of the new wedge plow for the WV.

Chuck

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  10:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Wow, that's some change of direction. From Hula girls to snow plows.

Louis I like your thinking.

Frank

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage
Chuck, that's a significant improvement to the AHM/IHC plow.

dti406
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile

Doing some more of the Canadian Wheat Board Covered Hoppers, here is the IMRC kit with the roof hatches and the roof walk supports in place.

Completed car with Plano Roofwalk and Walk Over Platforms installed, painted with a mixture of Scalecoat II Boxcar Red and Reefer Yellow and then lettered with Herald King Decals. As I noted in a previous post these were purchased by the Canadian Wheat Board and assigned to the CP or CN for maintenance as noted by the CPWX or CNWX reporting marks.

Top view of the car showing the see through effects of the Plano Roofwalk, make for a much more believable model.

Thanks for looking!

Rick Jesionowski

Edited by - dti406 on 06/01/2018 11:09:24 AM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  2:27:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Chuck, that's a significant improvement to the AHM/IHC plow.

Dittos

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Chuck great looking plow but I think it needs some of that PA. weathering done to it!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  9:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Chuck great looking plow but I think it needs some of that PA. weathering done to it!!

I know, Jerry. But, I can't bring myself to do it.

Chuck

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  08:18:32 AM  Show Profile
This started life as an Athearn ATSF work caboose.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  10:47:10 AM  Show Profile
In early year 2000 time frame, there was a Train Convention that sold these S.L.U.T. Cars. (picture #1). Being unable to find any box cars available, from pictures of the logo, I was able to print a decal and make my own era box car. (picture #2).

Louis

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  11:52:37 AM  Show Profile
It's even sitting at the right station.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  2:59:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

It's even sitting at the right station.

Jim

You're a funny guy Jim.

Louis

Selector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  7:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Yikes...those big red capital letters.....ummm...well....ummm....

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2018 :  12:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Some great rolling stock here!!!

Here's a few (fairly) old pix from my On30 Mining Tramway. (Not much has happened on it in quite some time.....)

The Mobile Crane was built that long ago that I cannot even remember where the donor unit came from. I THINK it was HO to start with. The wagon underneath is from Bachmann, I think....

The C.O.R. (Commonwealth Oil Refineries) tanker is a bit fanciful, I think, and was just an exercise in scratch-building for me. Again, the base wagon is from Bachmann....I think!

Another 'fanciful' one (don't ya just LOVE On30????), as I had to find a place for my two 'new' tractors, so I reckon they look OK, sitting on this flat wagon.

Keep up the great work, guys!

John.

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Lets see some of your Non-RR Photos!  Pt 2 Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: May 18 Show Us The Details  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000