Railroad Line Forums - Breathing New Life Into My Tyco engines & stock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: AllanJSmith ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Breathing New Life Into My Tyco engines & stock
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SRMW- Martins Machine Co. - Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  01:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of converting all my Tyco, Like Like and Bachmann locos and rolling stock to Kadee 5 couplers and well as putting in newer and sronger better motors in the said locos, maybe even converting them to DCC. Tips and ideas welcome.
"This skin reserved for Silver Fox Cape For Mrs. Van Dough."
--from Looney Tunes' Fox Pop

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  09:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all doable, and I've done many, but some Tyco locomotives aren't the best no matter what you try to do for them. I started model railroading in the late 60's so Tyco was on my inventory for a while back then. By the time you invest in making an old Tyco locomotive enjoyable to run, you have spent enough money on it to buy a good modern replacement locomotive. Putting in Kadee couplers into your rolling stock and locomotives is the easy part, Kadee has made it easy with good instructions for just about every item made. I'd re-think the new motors and DCC in your older locomotives, unless you are the type of model railroader that enjoys re-building and maintenance.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  1:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a bunch of Tyco's that you like and want to upgrade them so you feel good about running them on your railroad, nothing wrong with that. There is a Tyco forum where you can get some really god ideas on upgrading.
http://www.tycoforums.com
Also there are a bunch of YouTube entries on fixing Tycos. Some of the running gear was really bad, but can be made to work. Any of the dies cast steamers are excellent candidates for upgrades if you are willing to put a bit of effort in them.
I have a Tyco/Mantua Pacific and Big Six that have been upgraded with can motors and NWSL gear boxes and run better than any current plastic models. I also removed a lot of cast on detail from the Big Six and added a ton of brass detail parts. I hate to think what I spent on it, but in my mind it was worth it. The rolling stock is a lot easier to upgrade with new trucks, wheelsets and Kadee couplers. If you run into a snag, just check back here.
Regards, Vic B.

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  3:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

We reworked a Mantua/Tyco General a few years back. Here’s that project and a video to show progress and how it operated when we were done with the project.
http://cwrailman.com/2/post/2013/02/remotoring-a-mantua-general-or-making-it-rtr.html
Denny
Janitor in Training
CW Loco and Car Rebuild Shops
WEB site: http://www.cwrailman.com/
Facebook: CWRailman

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  12:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CWRailman

We reworked a Mantua/Tyco General a few years back. Here’s that project and a video to show progress and how it operated when we were done with the project.
http://cwrailman.com/2/post/2013/02/remotoring-a-mantua-general-or-making-it-rtr.html
Denny
Janitor in Training

Thanks I just bookmarked that site. It might be a plus in breathing new life in my tyco collection and, in the words of the Fricko company, "making these toy trains, run like REAL trains."

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  6:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I once had a work party for upgrading Tyco silver Virginian hoppers. VGN never painted any silver, and I don't think they even had any 4-bays like these, but I like them. Okay, like isn't the right word...more like some sort of disease that makes me glaze over and pull out my wallet when I spot one in a cardboard tray at a train show. Anyway, I now have enough (no, really I mean it).

But back to the upgrades. The party consisted of stations where each person performed a different task, assembly line style. This included bending grab irons, shaving off old ones, clipping truck-mounted couplers off the trucks, etc. In the end I got a good start on 16 cars that day after probably an hour of work. I renumbered them and made coal loads, along with a custom box liner for transport to train shows. Ran them once and they ran well, though FAR below the NMRA recommended weight. I remember mounting the kadees was a bit of a pain, but not difficult.

Currently I'm upgrading (details and DCC) an IHC/Mehano 2-6-0. Like Tyco, the details are a bit clunky but not too bad. However the motor is very nice and the thing runs very well on straight DC. I've wired in the decoder but not yet played with the settings. I hope to improve the performance even more once I'd adjusted the CVs.

Don't let anyone tell you it isn't worth it IF (and that's a big IF) you enjoy that sort of work. If you're only trying to save money, it is probably not worth your time to rebuild these cars. But if like me you have a strange fascination with certain cars and aren't committed to strict prototype accuracy, then have fun!

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

CWRailman
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  12:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit CWRailman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Depending on which Mantua/Tyco locomotives you plan on reworking, you can start looking for these remotoring kits which were once offered by Mantua. The provide an excellent Sagami 16-31 motor with a great operating range as well as all the brackets and wiring to install the motor. They are very difficult to find but who knows you might get lucky and find one or more.

Denny
Janitor in Training

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  12:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a site on You Tube that showed how you can modify Tyco Power Torque motors and replace then with Sony Playstation vibrator motors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoR-aznbTE

Edited by - a440 on 05/14/2018 12:29:36 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  2:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a440

There was a site on You Tube that showed how you can modify Tyco Power Torque motors and replace then with Sony Playstation vibrator motors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoR-aznbTE

I saw that video several months ago, perhaps even back last year. At about 2:24 he shows how he enlarged the hole on the pinion for the motor. Impossible. The lips of the drill will grab the gear and spin it. If anybody can use a drill and open that hole I'd like to see that on a video. Plus if you use a hand drill, how straight will the hole be?

I've done several of those mods. I have 18 picture SBS that I need to get posted and on my web page.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2018 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe if you used the point of a hobby knife blade to open both sides of the gear hole

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  07:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a440

Maybe if you used the point of a hobby knife blade to open both sides of the gear hole

I'll post the SBS I used to make that motor conversion. Remember that the bore of the gear has to run concentric with the outside of the gear or it will wobble on the motor shaft.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  1:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've started a thread here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50554 on how I replaced the Tyco Power Torque motor.

Bernd

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  11:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Done. That should set the standard for reviving Tyco's products

Previous Topic: SRMW- Martins Machine Co. - Kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000