Railroad Line Forums - Pullout work trays
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Pullout work trays
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Byrnes still in business? Topic Next Topic: Work Areas I Have Known  

ebergh
Section Hand

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  2:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my last project, I added a pullout tray to my workbench using an inexpensive celotex-like framed bulletin board from Target and a pair of computer keyboard pullout slides. The slides mount to the sides and underneath of the bulletin board and lock in the outmost position. I have them set so that when it is closed there is about 1-3/4" of space between the surface of the bulletin board surface and the underside of the bench top.

Here you can see it with the templates for my project stapled down and covered with wax paper. Easy to slide work in progress out of harms way...

When closed you can see my rolled up cotton food service apron that is screwed to the bottom edge of the board.

The pullout worked so well I added pullouts on either side! I used the same type of keyboard suspensions but with 3/4 plywood. Real handy for placing open boxes of parts, paint, etc.

The suspensions are about $18 a pair from Lee Valley, depending on size, http://tinyurl.com/ydf2kjyt

Hope this helps!
-eric

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  7:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea, Eric. I use the pull-out drawer on my desk for modeling on, and the desk for all the supplies I am using at the time. I hadn't thought about it, but I could take the drawer out and put in a slide away shelf. Might work better for me. Something I will consider.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

TmOn30
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/04/2018 :  07:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where's The like button !!

Thanks Eric Great Idea
I don't think I will be on my own if I copy this.

Cheers Tom.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2018 :  08:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a wire bin and some sectional silverware tray organizers at a Container Store. I cut some grooves into wood to hold the bin, and then mounted this underneath my workbench to hold scraps.

It's really handy to be able to reach in and pull out a bit of wood or styrene.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Previous Topic: Byrnes still in business? Topic Next Topic: Work Areas I Have Known  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000