Railroad Line Forums - Rusty Stumps "Browns Bakery" Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Rusty Stumps "Browns Bakery" Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SS LTD Jennings Lumber Topic Next Topic: Build something while the forum is down Challenge
Page: of 2

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  06:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Onto the next post.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! After my recent scratch build project, I wanted a much smaller and simple project as a break. Since Walt Gillespie (the owner of Rusty Stumps Scale Models) recovered from his surgery good as new, I'm celebrating his return by building the Browns Bakery in HO, # K4023. A simple and inexpensive kit, ideal for beginners. I'll be following the instructions, no "bashing" and using only the included parts in the box.

The contents including wall and sub wall sheets, 3D printed resin castings, assembly manual, wall signs, roof paper, acetate, and strip wood. Packing list for parts too.

The mostly 3D printed resin details bag contents

Walls painted, and paired with their sub walls, which will be glued together to form a strong wall "sandwich". Stripwood for trim, windows and doors are painted.

In most Rusty Stumps kits- walls are built up with a 1/32" birch sub wall and a finished 1/16" basswood outer wall. I built a jig to align the two- then removed the adhesive and set them down in place. The tabs and slots are on the subwalls. Window holes must be exactly centered over each other..

After painting and removing a few doors from their 1/64" RCboard carrier, the window acetate is attached onto the back of the window and door sheet in one piece..

I installed the windows and doors on the back, front and side walls. They are trimmed out on 3 or 4 sides with 2 x 6 stripwood.

The bay window on the 2nd story of the front wall is in 3 pieces, also built up. On these walls the window opening must be perfectly matched. To align them properly, I simply glued a block of balsa the exact dimensions of the window opening onto this piece of card, and set the wall down over it.

I am prepping the roof paper sheet by cutting it into 3 sections, which has a nice "cloth" texture on one side. Their sitting next to the white 1/16" Strathmore roof card.

Till next time....starting the bay window...

Edited by - Carl B on 04/25/2018 06:59:46 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  08:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a good start, Carl. I love the way Walt engineers his kits.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  09:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Great beginning! No changes, huh? The Kitbuilding Integrity Police will be watching.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, looks like you have all of the ingredients for another tasteful build.

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl always a pleasure following one of your builds.

Simple or complicated I'm sure you will do your magic once again!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 04/25/2018 12:42:44 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice build Carl, along with a good product review.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  8:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce, Mike, Greg, Jerry, and Kris.

Appreciate you following along.

Edited by - Carl B on 04/26/2018 10:29:05 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  01:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a flying start Carl.

Cant see this taking very long.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  01:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a flying start Carl.

Cant see this taking very long.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  07:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing your talent Carl.
Rich

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, can't wait to see the finished build.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  5:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Wes- twice.

You're welcome Rich.

Frank- This will only take a few days.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  07:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First assembly of the bay windows. Individual sashes have been installed. Top and bottom frames support the 3 walls in place.

Glued up to dry.

The roof of the bay window is made up of 4 support pieces and 3 separate roof panels.

RSSM supplies a template cut out for the roof tarpaper over the bay window.

Roof attached with 2 x 6 trim out on the corners.

The instructions state if you wish, you could use 2 x4 (instead of 2x6) for window trim. I liked that idea, so I lined the windows with it.

The left outer wall and 2nd floor were glued together first. The back wall and the 2 interior walls were next. There are tabs and slots for every piece.

Till next time....

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  09:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Looking good. I like your choice of colors and the thinner window trim.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  10:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, I realize you put a lot of work into the windows but IMHO plastic windows do a better job in the small scales. Those wooden frames look clunky to me. A kit manufacturer could include windows and doors from Tichy or Grandt (if they continue) at a nominal cost to seller and the buyer.

On a better note, youíre making this kit look better than it should.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: SS LTD Jennings Lumber Topic Next Topic: Build something while the forum is down Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000