Railroad Line Forums - boat model
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 210 ]  [ Total: 216 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 boat model
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern) Topic Next Topic: Horse drawn wagons
Page: of 11

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  7:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
video of me sanding the bevel

Looks very familiar Phil. Slow and steady wins the race.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phil, I came across this YouTube video of a guy building a boat from felling trees to sailing away. It’s called From Acorn to Arabella. I don’t know if you’ve seen it but if you haven’t I think you’d be interested. I get hooked on it and watch it for an hour or so per stretch. This isn’t the first one but it’s where it starts to get interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkddW_AGrA4

Frank

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  11:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Phil and really interesting.

Franks thanks for the link.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  6:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, thanks for the link, very interesting. I think I might have seen something on this in my “Wooden Boat” mag. I will have to look it up, looks like this was started about 2yrs ago. Gives me a starting point!

Jerry and Carl thanks for stopping by, appreciate it immensely!

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2019 :  5:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a boat lover I find it quite interesting. They started out with full time jobs and working on the Arabella part time. Now they've quite their jobs and are being financed by the YouTube series and several other sites.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/30/2019 5:19:53 PM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I found the only mention in the July/August 2019 issue #269 of “Wooden Boat” Mag. in a column about resources for boat building. Just a mention how the WoodenBoat forum helped them over some rough spots.

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They said they were going to the Wooden Boat Show in one of the episodes to give a talk and update. I’m amazed how well they are getting this thing done. For a couple of novices they have their boat knowledge down pretty good.

I’ve always wanted to build a wooden dory or something. I’ve considered using the “stitch” method.

Frank

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  12:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Pygmy Boats has a real nice 14’ Wineglass wherry kit, stitch and glue system. Weighs only 90lbs has 2 rowing positions cost about 1700.00 plus shipping! Also has an sailing option.

Phil Z

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  12:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Frank, Pygmy Boats has a real nice 14’ Wineglass wherry kit, stitch and glue system. Weighs only 90lbs has 2 rowing positions cost about 1700.00 plus shipping! Also has an sailing option.

Only problem Frank it won't fit on "Wreckers Reef"!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2019 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phil, she's a slick little thing. Going back over 40 years ago a buddy of mine had a Silver Slipper fiberglass boat very similar to that one.

Frank

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  6:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, she sure is a beauty!
so, back to the schooner, as I mentioned earlier time to cut the rabbet into the transom edge. This is being a slow careful process. Cut a little on one face then the other and work down to the needed depth and angles.

cutting the back face

cutting down to the back face

checking the depth for the planking

finished starboard side, ready to tackle the port side

when finished I can remove the transom template

some more small steps to come....

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phil, too late to suggest this now. But perhaps 2 pieces of 1/16" basswood one the full width and one the rabbet width sandwiched together.

Frank

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  12:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, yes that would work but I had already bent the three 1/32" layers before I posted the first pictures. If you go back to the first page you can see the 3 layers stacked by the glue bottles. I did not take pics of that process but it was the same as I did with the transom seat just on another form. They were bent to a 3.25"radius curve (a 12'scale radius).
I was already planning on having to cut the rabbet in back then. The rabbet gives me a better gluing surface than the angled face I had temporary sanded in around the shape of the transom.

Phil Z

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  8:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to get some stanchions made. Should have been making and adding them as I made the deck beams. When I get caught up to the end of the beams now installed I will be adding them then.
Here is a short SBS of adding them now,

the spacer to insure the correct placement and the port side stanchion laid out

laying out the starboard stanchion, guidelines and points pricked for the curved sides. the horizonal downward curving line is the top of the deck beam.

gluing the port side to spacer, other side supported to keep level. notice the curve has been drawn in

both sides glued and rough cut to shape.

these get dropped in between the beams in place and glued down.
more close work- time consuming.

Phil Z

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  8:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, nice to see your ship building thread resurface here again!
Certainly looks like all hands on deck, doing all of those stanchions.
Keep at her!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern) Topic Next Topic: Horse drawn wagons  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000