Railroad Line Forums - boat model
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 boat model
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A Wreck for the REEF Topic Next Topic: Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Page: of 9

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  10:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, Phil, Phil you forgot to divide by the square root of 3 and carry the 9.

You got me interested in planking boat hulls. So I went on the WWW and searched planking. What a surprise I got. No two people plank the same and nowhere did I find one that did the shutter strake. Most seem to work their way from the sheer down or the garboard up.

Remember don't fear the Devil Plank.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/29/2018 10:08:53 AM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  10:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, yea, there are probably many ways and people that plank boats. Unfortunately I only have one book on construction which is by Howard I. Chapelle, copied righted 1941 with a renewal 1969. The shutter strake is/was probably used more for bigger boats. He only mentions them in round bottom construction and larger craft. Now probably have better clamps that fit tight spots better.
So, apparently I am being a bit old-fashion. Thatís ok I am having fun which is what counts.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  6:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The old is as good as new. When they plank a ďplanningĒ hull they install the sheer, garboard and the chine plank, the old fashioned shutter plank.

Frank

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, still plugging away slowly. Have moved up to the cabin frames the cabin sides will be box jointed with the ends. Made a test fit of the starboard margin board beside the cabin.

So some pictures:

The cabin roof is just rubber banded in place for now, just for these pictures.
Thinking on how to do the cockpit sides especially around the corners. Probably will end up being vertically staved.

until next time I have some kind of progress to show....

Phil Z

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  1:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, your clearly demonstrating the fine art of model ship building, with each calculated step that you take.
You are going to end up with a magnificent looking model when you have completed it.
Please keep the steps you are taking to complete this model coming!

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  2:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I am amazed!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the fine progress. There's something about compound curves. It's really becoming a thing of beauty.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  5:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Inspirational is the word that comes to mind.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  6:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Phil. I'm going with the name for this vessel - "Terrapin".

Frank

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, thank you, I will keep trying to show all my work like a good student.

Carl, thanks, glad you like what you are seeing!

Bob, yes, for some reason curves are more attractive than straight lines. All those curves will get covered when I plank her up.

Thank you Mike, Iíll try to help you find some more words!

Frank, Frank, what can I say, itís a turtle because I am so slow? But she already has a name, just havenít mentioned it yet. Been wondering when someone was going to get around to it.
Through all the years trying to get her lines right she has always been named ďWasted EffortĒ

Phil Z

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  7:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
progress has not been moving very fast but have managed to do something. Made the steering gear box and installed it except the top hatch. The vertical staving around the cockpit I did a test piece to see if I could form it around the curves, so steamed a piece of 1/32"X3/8" and held in place with fingers and some blocks. Decided I needed a form to bend the wood around. Drew out a template and transferred the measurements to a piece of 3/8" thick basswood.

and a couple of pics of the steering gear box

and with a couple of 1:48 figures for scale

more later if experiments on wood bending around form work as hoped.

Phil Z

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  7:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, nice to see this project back again!
Your steering gear box looks great!
You've got to get yourself some proper sailors, those military figures are definitely landlubbers.

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  10:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil,

I agree with Greg, that it's great to see you working on this again. Amazing modeling.

Rich

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  12:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, thanks, I agree I need some sailor type figures but I am not having any luck here in town for any and especially at 1:43 scale.
I thought about making the rudder work with the wheel but I would have to buy a center spread compass and tear it up for the threaded rod and followers.

Rich, thanks, I am happy that I am back working on this again. hope nothing else interferes again.

here a couple of pics of the new cockpit walls being bent around the form. I was hoping the it would bend around the sharp corner and not snap in two.

had to use a couple of braces to hold against the form.
when completely dry I will remove and do the other side.

that's it for now.....

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  10:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I've had some instances where I needed bent strips and I use several layers of manila folder cut in strips and laminated around.

Frank

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: A Wreck for the REEF Topic Next Topic: Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000