Railroad Line Forums - boat model
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 boat model
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A Paper Ship Model Topic Next Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Page: of 7

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  05:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rlundy, thanks, this is my first built this way. A couple of half models and one built-up bread&butter fashion .
Yours is looking good, is it a model of the Bluenose?
Did you watched the web cam during the last re-build of the Bluenose2?

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Phil. This is a kit from Model Shipways called the Benjamin Latham. I also have Bluenose 11 to build as well. If you go to the Model Expo web page, there are instruction for all or most of their kits. May be some good tips in there for you. Also this forum is great for model ship builders. https://modelshipworld.com/?&_fromLogout=1
All kinds of build logs and good info. You'll find it really comes in handy when you get to the rigging.

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  08:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have taken on quite a project there,...and doing a nice job.

I've had occasion to see the real vessel "Bluenose" during several of my visits to a friend's 'summer house' there in Lunenburg NS. On one visit I purchased a model of the boat from a locale shop for him to display in his former ships captain's house there in Lunenburg

Brian

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  1:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, you are definitely displaying your craftsman tools & skills with this model.
I purchased a "Billings Boat" kit of the Bluenose a number of years ago.
Watching you, and the steps that you are taking building your Bluenose like ship, is making me feel I should get mine out and build it soon.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 10/13/2018 1:09:13 PM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rlundy, in my copy of Howard I. Chapelle’s book “The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 he has the line and sail plan drawings of the Benjamin W. Latham. Build/design date as 1902 by Thomas F. McManus.
Wonder why they pick this schooner to model, Chapelle doesn’t say much about her so, I would assume not a ground breaking design.

Thanks for the links will check them out.

Greg, thanks for the thumbs up, much appreciated. Just trying to do my best.

Brian, your friend wouldn’t be living in Angus Walter’s old house? One of the things I would like to do is to
go on a day sail on the Bluenose ll.

Appreciate all the comments and views, did not think this would generate so much interest.

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  2:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil you are ONE meticulous guy. I applaud you for the fine work you're doing. The end result should be spectacular.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  2:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank, it is the only way I build models now after learning that hurrying only makes bad models.

I was trying to post yesterday some pictures of a test fit of the shutter planks just to see where they would lie but for some reason after downloading and copying the first pic when I closed that window my computer closed out everything back to my desktop screen! Re-opened rr-line and all in post box was lost. Didn’t have time to redo everything again and don’t have time now either. Will have to wait for tomorrow.
Tomorrow, tomorrow. Sounds like a song .....

Phil Z

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the test fit of the shutter strakes. I used a wider plank than what I will be useing when planking as I did not want my big fat fingers putting any edgeset when wrapping these around the frames.
So, here are some pics
the shutter normally starts at the tuck and lays flat with no edgeset across the frames to the rabbet on the stem.

from the bow

looking forward from stern post; this is looking good

the shutter strake is the last plank on when planking the hull as you can not use any clamps to hold in place.
Planking order is sheer strake, garboard and then find the place of the shutter, mark the edges of it on the frames and set aside.

Divide the space between the sheer and shutter into reasonable plank widths and fit and cut those working down to the shutter top marks.
then working up from the garboard cutting and fitting planks to fit up to the shutter. Closing the hull with the shutter.
Sounds so easy doesn't it; it is getting the planks to lie fair and enough width at the ends to fasten securely.

I am not there yet as I still need to get all the deck beams in to find the fair sheer line. Hopefully it follows my designed sheer.

onward with more outside molds...…

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  6:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, very interesting and thanks for the lesson in ship planking.

Back in my sport fishing days we used to bring the boat into the yard in the fall for a repaint and bottom job. While there for a couple of weeks I’d wander into the shed to watch them working on new boats. But these were sport fishing boats made from cross diagonal planked plywood and topped with fiberglass. Not the classic boat building process you’re doing.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  6:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting and totally cool stuff!

Nice work Phil!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil,

It does not sound easy at all. I’m very impressed. I like reading the terminology and how the hull is planked.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  12:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, it's nice to read your explanation of how you went about test fitting your shutter strakes .
The steps & patience that are needed to build such a model is clearly being demonstrated by you.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  1:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil excellent modeling.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  3:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Phil. As one boat modeler to another, I know the steps you are taking, but I never really got into the technical terms. For me, too confusing, but I know 'what' you are doing.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  11:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,guys I am glad that you all are learning some new stuff.
While some glue is drying I thought about some figures and math. Since I am not planning on floating this I don’t need to make a little caulking iron and maul, thank goodness, but was wondering how much displacement this model displaces. Not really wanting to run my planometer around the frames for an accurate figure there is a short cut for a rough estimate: DWLxbeam@WLxdepth @55%of DWL divided by 3.
So:
15.5”x4.8125”x2”
——————— = 49.73 cu inches

———— = 0.0288 cu ft

0.0288 x 62.4 lbs (weight of a cubit foot of fresh water )

= 1.8 lbs or 28.8oz

Since I have not been keeping track of how much basswood I have used I will not be able to figure out the actual wt. until finished.

See what happens when I get bored

Phil Z

Edited by - Carrie Creek on 10/29/2018 12:06:52 AM

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: A Paper Ship Model Topic Next Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000