Railroad Line Forums - boat model
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 boat model
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A Paper Ship Model Topic Next Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck
Page: of 7

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  09:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your build as you continue with a refreshed mind. Try yoga.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  09:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries. Getting stuck in the middle of a project happens to everybody...

We're anticipating your return..

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2018 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, here is a solution for the deck droop.

the block with the jar I can slide to balance the black level and keep it level. the yellow level I will move to the deck beam line and block it up with spacers until the middle of the level just kisses the centerline of the boat. that way I know how much to add at each end of the beam to bring level and compensate for the droop.

I have 3/32" square blocks under the yellow level in this pic.

got to go work calls.

later...

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  12:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not given up on this project just been thinking on how to handle the false deck droop. the level idea was not working very well as I could not keep the hull from moving while measuring. Also did not know if the profile board was staying vertical.
So, decided I needed a base I could be sure I was always vertical and 90*. I screwed the original base to a piece of 5ply birch ply 8"x24"x1/4". Then I made removable port & starboard base halves to which I am gluing outside molds at each frame.
As, I know the false deck is perpendicular to the profile board at frames 5, 5.3 and 6 and have the molds there holding the hull solid I can then determine how much the other frames are off.

pics:

the rubber bands keeps the two halves together

the cutout in the base is the shape of the waterline so that I can mark it on the hull planking when done.

the white rectangles in the first pics are other molds, the two narrow ones are the #5.3 molds. the inside edge come straight up from the waterline outline in the base.

more as I slowly add more molds.

Phil Z

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  07:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil,

Iím sure building the support took time away from actual boat construction, but it looks necessary. Itíll probably be a big help as the model progresses.

Nice seeing further developments.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, the frame looks complicated. But do press on and remember Pi Squared.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  8:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahoy mates! I'm glad to see that you have been working on this again. For myself not being a shipbuilder, I wouldn't know if you make a mistake or not. Your progress looks good to me.
Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  11:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich did we have a problem??????

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  05:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, repeated posts.. are better than no posts at all! ..

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  05:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil,

After reading through your post above, I realize that it is necessary to build the support to hold the ship in place when stability is in question to get accurate results. The construction of bases, supports, or similar items sometimes are more important than the actual building of the model. They are a model in themselves. You are doing an amazing job on this, and I'm sure you can work out the bugs.

Rich

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  11:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice progress on your ship. I am building a very similar schooner as well, but from a kit. My setup is a bit different from yours as well as how it is constructed. Mine will have a planked deck so no solid deck is needed. My stand is just a piece of 1" x 4" pine base with a groove cut in it to hold the keel. Bow and stern are set in supports That hold it at a 90 degree angle. To mark a waterline I just level out model so that waterline is same distance from table at the bow and stern. Then just take a block of wood the right height and set a pencil on top of it. Slide the block around the model and mark your waterline. I made a simple wooden gauge I can adjust. Would send photo but for some reason it isn't letting me upload the photos. Your build looks great so far.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  1:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Phil!

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2018 :  11:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, yes this has taken time from the boat itself but is necessary .

Frank, not all that complicated just time consuming. Sorry I donít understand your reference to Pi Squared

Rich, yes , necessary, if you noticed I added the shape of the bulwarks to the outside molds so that I can add the stanchions to the deck.

rlundy, if I had a CNC machine I probably would have approached this much differently. The ďfalse deckĒ was to insure that my frames were perpendicular to the profile board and glued solid. The real deck will be glued to these deck beams I am trying to glue to this false deck that has developed a droop at each end.
I will Bend a batten through the molds at the designed water line which will allow me to mark the DWL on the planking when finished.

Carl, thanks,

My weekend has arrived and am making more molds. More pics will be forthcoming.
Thanks for all of your encouragement much welcomed.

More later ......

Phil Z

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2018 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, a step by step.

I draw out each frame on a piece of 5x8 inch index card, cut those out and test fit. if the fit is good I then glue that to a piece of 3/32" thick basswood.

cut that out and make sure all is square and glue a 3/16" square strip of basswood to the bottom making sure all is standing perpendicular as it dries.

then transfer to the model and glue in place, again insuring all is square.

and another overall pic, the boat hull has become very stable in this cradle.

I do both sides of each frame at the same time as I have the measurements right there.

slogging on.....

Phil Z

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  12:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man. That's one fancy setup you're using. Starting to look really good. How many ships have you built? Looks like this isn't your first. Mine is the first in over 40 years. Finally figured out what I was doing wrong to post pics. Here is my simple setup for a building board.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: A Paper Ship Model Topic Next Topic: Lous Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000