Railroad Line Forums - boat model
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 234 ]  [ Total: 239 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 boat model
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern) Topic Next Topic: Horse drawn wagons
Page: of 11

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  2:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the kit: bought 2

made a quick and dirty cardboard model

as this is a waterline model I am not having it in water but as deck load I want it to have same rocker in the bottom. I made a jig to help hold the parts while gluing up.

So, to my issues with the kit. The sides are 3 pieces laminated a-lined at the top. The end laps should be rabbeted so the plank ends are in the same plane. I can eliminate this by using just the one side piece and say it is plywood sided (not lapped straked). But really like the lapstrake look.

I am seriously thinking of cutting 4 new strakes out of the material supplied and planking up the prototypical way.

My other main issue is that the bottom is scribed with too many planks should only be 3. Luckily the other side is not so I scribed so I scribed the 3 planks.

Modified my jig for better control of the pieces. Added more moulds and means to hold the strakes tight against the moulds.

So, this is where I am at now, laying out patterns for the 4 strakes which will be cut from 0.010" styrene sheet.

Later as it happens....

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  5:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, I think I understand what you said about the ends of the planks should rabbeted so they are in the same plane. They do lap along the rest of the sides, so could you sand the kit ends to feather the planking there so it would look correct at stem & stern?

Here's a shot of a dory for the L.A. Dunton at Mystic Seaport Museum. Unfortunately the lighting is indirect and the lapped joints barely show up if very closely examined, but you can sort of get a sense on the bow that the overlap begins just a little aft of the numeral 5

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  05:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Bill, you plane the rabbet in the lap area on both the lower and upper strakes so that you end up with a half lap joint at the ends. This should give you a fair curve in the rabbet in the stem and flat against the bevel on the sides of the transom. Knowing when to start that rabbet is a matter of experience which I donít have. I would think it is dependent on the thickness of the strakes.

That is a nice dory. I might need to put more rocker in my model after looking at this one.

Thanks for the idea, I will have to study this and see if it would work. Might need to cut some 1/32Ē basswood strakes and try. Although this is much thicker than the model material.

Later .....

Phil Z

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, a jig, can you say mass production! Those Atlantic Modelers make nice accessories.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/19/2020 10:47:00 AM

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  05:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, I might be able to dance a jig #128563; . I am only building two so no mass production.

Phil Z

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  08:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two of those kits. All I need now is your jig!!

Great work!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  09:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, A brief bit background about Howard Blackburn, a doryman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Blackburn

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Jerry, the model is a waterline model which means the bottom is flat, unless you want the rocker in the bottom my jig wonít work for you.

Bill, yea I know about Blackburn. He was one lucky guy, so many never were found or made it ashore someplace inhabited. Those Banks dorys are some very seaworthy boats!

Phil Z

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil, Your dory would be a waterline model when there are only one or two dorymen in it. Then it rides high like a cork and is very tippy. But when loaded with fish (a couple 300 lb halibut for example) it'd sit a lot lower in the water and be a lot more stable with it's broader beam.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  7:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, been fiddling around with the planking. Noticed that when test fitting the stem I did not have quite enough room inside the jig. Added 0.060" spacers all around. If I was going to make a new one it would be 1"of clearance.

Anyway here are a couple of pics of the planking.

the original planking, temp clamped together

how I figured it should be planked, cardboard glued together on the lap faces about 2" width.

Any thoughts?

Now to make the patterns even if I decide not to plank this way and just use the original inside ply and call it plywood planked.

Later...

Phil Z

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: O Scale Fishing Boat / Trawler (Round Stern) Topic Next Topic: Horse drawn wagons  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000