Railroad Line Forums - Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Ė Europe 1918
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 221 ]  [ Total: 221 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Corps of Canadian Railway Troops Ė Europe 1918
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Why not comment and post?
Page: of 51

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2020 :  9:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob and Mike. My inbound drives from the UK have now been sitting I customs in Chicago for 20 days, shipped 26 days ago. Every time I have a shipment that lands in that customs office it is a pure exercise in patience. I had a different package I ordered 10 days ago arrive from the UK in 8 days. Same size box but landed in NY.
Figures crossed I can finish this project.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  3:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
The spud drives I need are still stuck in Customs.
I have been noodling a few concepts and ideas.
One idea is what to do for the back drop.
I have been madly searging the internet for pictures. Not much to go off.

Can some of you please watch this video and see what you think of a black backdrop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WLLFxrQ_ZM&t=338s
Ideas welcome.

Edited by - BigLars on 07/11/2020 3:55:35 PM

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  5:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The black backdrop certainly is a rather different approach. What it does do is really makes the scenery and models "pop". I know some modelers will paint their facia on the front of the layout black for the same reason. Given how excellent your modeling is; I'd say give it a go. If you don't like it you can always change it latter. Another thought is that you could hire an artist to do a backdrop per your specifications.
Hope this helps.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry,

If you need help stitching together/editing photos for a background, I am more than willing to lend a hand with the project. Not sure if this is helpful, but I have also colourized a few photos in the past, and would be willing to give that a go as well. My email is robchant64@gmail.com if you need to get in touch with me.

Take care,
Rob.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My layout is a 2x20 shelf. When I built it I didn't think I needed a backdrop. "Let the models be the attention getters". So I used a solid white backdrop. Oooops. That never worked. So I had to work around models to put in a backdrop. I think you may regret a solid coloured backdrop. If it doesn't work how can you replace the backdrop? Mine was a solid wall so that wasn't possible.

Maybe a dark, out of focus and no discript backdrop would work.

good luck.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  9:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly Light gray for fog and smoke with some darker gray shapes like trees or buildings in the distance.

Roland

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  9:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Roland. That would be a great compromise.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  08:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry,

Catching up on the On30 gang and wow you have been busy and doing some exceptional modelling. Ive been missing out lurking elsewhere.

A very interesting prototype also.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  11:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry C - Thanks for the feedback. Testing the black will be an easy thing to do. I always have black paint handy.

Rob,
Thanks for the offer. I have been searching for pictures but not much luck so far. I will let you know if I find something.

Brucet,
I have also had a white back drop, it does nothing for the models.

Roland,
I like your thought process.

Adrian,
Welcone back to the forum. Thanks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  12:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

My backdrop is very simple, along the lines Roland suggests. The sky is a murky gray paint that I blended with white toward the horizon. I blended on the backdrop with my brush, not trying to get it too even. I mixed a gray green with a little white for distant hills and painted straight gray green for foreground scenery. I donít paint any details. Very general. It creates a moody overcast look that shows up in photos of my layout.

Mike

Neil F
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  2:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry, I have operated this layout, its very good but unusual in that the track is above the black base, and the modelled area is very narrow, and the lighting is only 15 to 24ins above the rail height.
I would go for a grey sky any hills would be very far off most of the area would be flat fields, I would then paint black trees in the distance coming out of low mist.
Most of France is very flat compared to the UK, land rises around 50 to 100ft very slight changes in height most of the time, mountains are a lot further south than the battle areas. Villages would be sparse and only have one church tower or spire and have more trees around the village.

Neil F in Stockport

http://sites.google.com/site/purgatorypeakmodelrailroad/home

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  4:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Roland's idea. The problem with a black background is how much light it soaks up. Too much of a contrast makes it hard for the details to stand out.

Arthur

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neil, im interested where you operated this layout. I believe one of the builders lives not far from me in Tasmania. The layout appeared at our local show one last time about 3 years ago. It was also the last local show :-(

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great video Larry.

Can't help you with the backdrop. I'm sure with all the help here you'll solve that problem!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hey Larry it's 1918, will the troops be coming home soon?

Frank

Page: of 51 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Why not comment and post?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000