Railroad Line Forums - Feedback on Laser Cutters
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 WorkShops, Garage, Machines and Tools
 Feedback on Laser Cutters
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: DIY Sanding Block Topic Next Topic: Pink Flamingo stand
Page: of 3

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer, thanks! I've got a good supply of raw stock already. I teach at a large college with a very large fine art and design program. I have an unlimited supply of scraps. :) And access to an 80W and 120W Trotec cutter for when I need to cut some heavy stuff, or aircraft plywood.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  9:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarcusF

Bernd,

I don't know you or Manny, the OP. I didn't know what yours or Manny's technical backgrounds were, which is why I mentioned I wasn't trying to explain anything, in case it was obvious to him or you.

So I supplied you with some background.

quote:
In point of fact, from Manny's first post:
I have some questions for those members of the forum board who own or have access to a laser cutter and use one to assist in their modeling."

And I pointed out to check out the CNC Zone. Lots of good info there.

quote:
Having had laser for over a year, I've encountered lots of people who'd also like to have one, but have no idea what's involved in making them work. Many people seem to think you can just take a PDF or a scan of a plan and fire it off to the cutter and presto! Instant kit.

And that's the reason I gave you some background. Now you know I understand that there are people out there who think just like what you explained. I've run into to many of those types of people at this point in time to even count.

quote:
This is a hobbyist forum, and in my experience, model railroaders are amongst the most frugal of hobbyists. Not cheap, but careful where they spend their money.

I'm fortunate to not have to worry about being frugal.

quote:
If Manny said he wanted a mill for making model parts and masters, would you tell him he definitely needed a Bridgeport, or a 5-axis Mazak?

I would suggest looking at certain mills that would fit the job that he wanted to do. For modeling work a 5-axis is out of the question. Now a nice CNC Bridgeport would be just right or one of the Tormex CNC machines.

quote:
An opinion was asked for, I offered one. You made a broad statement that wasn't really accurate, and I pointed out some of the realities of owning and operating precision equipment.

And I gave mine plus a bit of background on me so you won't be wondering if I actually knew what I was talking about.

quote:
Now can we clippity-clop both our high-horses outta here and help Manny out?

Sorry not leaving. I want to see what Manny buys. Perhaps I'll see if I can get him to do some TT scale buildings. But then I might just get my own laser as I see a potential for some TT scale kits.

Bernd

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  10:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help and insight. No need to be at each others throats. Please. I am technical and have some corel and very limited CAD operation. I have no grand illusions of just doing a PDF and wham, instant kit. I know I have to become versed in CAD or some other program to design and have the laser cut. I know absolutely nothing about lasers other than the pristine work they can do. I want to be able to do that. If I can help a fellow model railroader out, I will. I'm tired of seeing this hobby cut itself off at the knees all the time. With the craftsman end of the hobby dying daily to a miserable slow death, I want to do something positive for the hobby. I'm not poor but I'm not, at the present time, JD Rockefeller. I want to do this purchase once, and once only. I want to be a good steward with my finances and get what is right. All the information here is great and I appreciate it.

I received information from Epilog Laser. I'm reviewing it now. I haven't made any decisions yet.

Thanks again for all your help. All the meeting of the minds here is really helpful.

Manny

MarcusF
Section Hand

Posted - 03/18/2018 :  09:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I spoke.

Manny, good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever machine you chose. I still think you're buying more machine than you really need, but if you can afford it, go for it.

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2018 :  2:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarcusF

Sorry I spoke.

Manny, good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever machine you chose. I still think you're buying more machine than you really need, but if you can afford it, go for it.

No apologies necessary. Your input is as valuable as anyone else's. I asked my question for input, not for any disagreements or fights to develop.

Truth, I have not decided what to buy yet. I do know, that I will not buy anything until I am completely sure, and that it will be the only level of purchase I ever need to make. I don't want to spend twice.

Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Manny

johneye
New Hire

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who is in a position very similar to Manny, I'm really looking forward to the follow up on this .......lots of good pointers here that serve us lurkers who might have differing priorities too!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  5:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johneye

As someone who is in a position very similar to Manny, I'm really looking forward to the follow up on this .......lots of good pointers here that serve us lurkers who might have differing priorities too!

The best way to go is a product that you can get spare parts for easily and fast. I know a modeler on another forum who has a Full Spectrum Laser. He is using it to build his own building and track bases. He's had it for several years and is a very happy user. So that's a plus for purchasing a Full Spectrum Laser. The other I would look at is the Epilog line of lasers. Both are high priced, but you get what you pay for.

Bernd

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  10:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still doing a little research, but I am leaning on Epilog. Hope to make decision shortly.

Manny

Edited by - SAFN SAAP on 04/24/2018 10:55:38 PM

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Understand, you are either a modeler or a manufacture as few can do both and get anything worthwhile out of their efforts.

Walt

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  7:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
second what Walt says hard to be both
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  08:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like you are trying to discourage Manny from purchasing a laser?

I bought a CNC mill to do parts for my modeling since there is nobody that I know of that would do model parts for me. Since I have the knowledge of programing CNC machines I decided to purchase a table top CNC mill. Would I do parts for somebody else? Right now no. I don't have the time or inclination to do so.

If Manny wants to do this fine. I do see where a person owning a model producing business could see Manny as a threat to their business. As Manny said in his original post that he may do custom work, but is more interested in producing his own models at his leisure.

I say Manny don't let this discourage you. I'm also thinking of eventually getting a laser for producing kit's in TT scale. If Manny purchases one I maybe a customer to him for a TT scale model. Time will tell.

Bernd

johneye
New Hire

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  1:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you made a decision Manny?

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,

Looks like I am going to go with an Epilogue. I am looking at their Mini Series, just don't know if I am going to go 18x12, or 24x12. I might go Helix. Don't know yet.

I am just going to be cutting railroad car parts, and turn of the century buildings, so I don't know which one yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Manny

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  2:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think maybe Walt has one for sale.

Jim

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  4:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walt was going to sell his unless it went to the new manufacturer of RSSM details?

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: DIY Sanding Block Topic Next Topic: Pink Flamingo stand  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000