Railroad Line Forums - On30 Micro - Louisiana Sugar Plantation
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 On30 Micro - Louisiana Sugar Plantation
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: on a bayjou Topic Next Topic: Radio Island, North Carolina
Page: of 2

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy all!

So... I've been working on this on and off for a while and I realised I'd not shown it off on RR-Line! Shame on me!

So here's my original write up of this from when I first started. I'll add current progress in the replies afterwards. :)

======================================

Recently, I've been staring at an offcut from a foamcore baseboard a made a while ago, and I've felt the urge to try and do something with it.

Just after I sold off all my HO collection, an eBay purchase arrived in the shape of a cheap Hornby 00 gauge 0-4-0 steam loco, which was promptly tossed into a spare parts box and forgotten about.

Whilst digging through my spares boxes for some track to go on the baseboard, I stumbled across the 0-4-0, and that set my mind toward On30.

I found a bunch of old Peco N scale settrack, and ripped the rails from the ties. I figure I can make my own ties from stripwood, and re-gauge the track to HO track spacing, convert the little 0-4-0 into a Porter or similar, and scratchbuild the rest of the structures and rolling stock for the layout.

This is what I have so far - I'm thinking of a Louisiana sugar plantation for the theme, as it'll allow me to do 3 things:

1. Model Louisiana again - my first US layout was set in the Pelican State and I'd quite like to go back to it.
2. Model short wheelbase rolling stock - it's difficult to make a US micro layout, so this should help.
3. Model something beyond the norm - lots of micro layouts are logging or mining, so I figured I'd do something a bit different.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now my current progress. :)

Ground cover:

Sugar Cane plants:

Structures:

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, can't wait to see more.
Vince

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  9:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice modeling.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
really like the sugar cane plants. That's a great way to stick them together. Also glad to see more hand-laid track. Great crafts skills throughout.

http://thedepotonline.com/

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  02:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!

This one might see a bit more work at some point soon, but I'm mainly focusing on getting more of my O scale layout complete for it's next show in a month's time. :)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  09:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling.
It all looks very good.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  3:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very nice modeling.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  4:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks chaps. Hopefully I can get a lot of my To-Do list on Piedmont Blues crossed off in my next 4 days off work. If so I can maybe spare a bit of time to do some more on the Plantation. :)

I've had an idea on changing the presentation of the layout. It doesn't make sense to me to hide the sector plate on this micro. Instead what I'm thinking of doing is having the left end of the layout slope down a little, add a hint of bayou to the front corner of it, then build a functioning train turntable out of basswood to go above it, like the railroad builders ran out of space and had to improvise.

It might not be 100% realistic, bit I think it will add to the design of the layout considerably.

Plus I might be able to squeeze another small structure into the space as well. Maybe a small shotgun shack on stilts over the water?

I guess we'll see! :D

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  08:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like it, but only one thing I would change. The stonework foundations. Not that you did a bad job. It's just that there are no rocks that big in Louisiana. It's mostly mud. Brick would be more appropriate, or just build everything on stilts since the bayou is only a couple of feet below the banks and it will flood.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan,

This is a great model, and I like your new ideas.

Looks like you now have the Bayou Blues.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  6:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, I've had the Bayou Blues for years!

Here's an image of my first N scale layout, set in Louisiana:

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I had a spare hour, so I started scratchbuilding a small caboose/work car. Here's as far as I've gotten so far:

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2018 :  7:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice weathering on the wood, it looks like it has hung out in the swamps.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: on a bayjou Topic Next Topic: Radio Island, North Carolina  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000